• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Suzuki Explains How He Convinced Hayao Miyazaki to Approve Netflix's Streaming Deal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Is Hayao Miyazaki a boomer? Like it has to be asked, he's so weird and meanspirited. His personality is in such a contrast to Anno's it makes me wonder how they maintain such a close bond.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Weird and mean-spirited, yes, but he's also held very progressive views (at least where women, girls, and the environment is concerned). So make of that what you will. Personally, I get the impression that Anno and Miyazaki bond over trying to make anime something beyond breezy pulp fiction, but that's just me.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Is Hayao Miyazaki a boomer?
Technically no; being born in '41, he'd be "Silent Generation" instead. But Japan's cultural reckoning of generations may be different from ours -- both he and Suzuki ('48) may be considered part of the same cohort, whose formative years were defined by the US occupation and postwar recovery.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redlinks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think he's mean-spirited. He's just old fashioned. Some people just prefer traditional ways. Nothing wrong with that.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope they use existing, GOOD subtitles and dubs for the Netflix release - not that it will matter to me since it's not for the US. I also wish Ghibli would've pushed Netflix to increase the bitrate for their anime. 4Mbps is literally a half of what 1080p streams should be. CR and Funimation figured this out last year, finally. Other sites should soon. The average download speed globally is [url]=https://www.speedtest.net/global-index]74.32 Mbps[/url] (31.95 on mobile).... 8Mbps is EASILY doable for every country that streams.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But Japan's cultural reckoning of generations may be different from ours

It's an interesting topic for me, because on the one hand, when Rebecca Silverman interviewed Inio Asano (animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2018-06-20/goodnight-punpun-creator-inio-asano/.133138), he said he had never even heard the term "Millennial Generation"... but on the other hand, here's a graph from Tokyo's "Nippon Communications Foundation":

There might be less of a colloquial emphasis on "generations" as a means for dividing age brackets, at least when compared to how heavily we use them as a mental shortcut to explain trends in behaviors and world views in the United States.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I was going to make a joke on how this went with something like "You see that big pile of money? It's yours", and I'm surprised to see that's actually how it went lol
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I hope they use existing, GOOD subtitles and dubs for the Netflix release - not that it will matter to me since it's not for the US.

You... you do realize the article mentioned that the US is one of the few countries that Netflix is not streaming the Ghibli movies? If you live outside North America and Japan, then Netflix is streaming the Ghibli movies in your country right now, and you can see what subtitles they use.
I am fairly confident that Netflix has not retranslated anything. They are using the same subs and dubs that are officially on the blurays/dvds.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why the Internet is still shocked Miyazaki hates technology. His criticism of technology and love in nature is a major theme in a lot of his movies. Particularly Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm not sure why the Internet is still shocked Miyazaki hates technology. His criticism of technology and love in nature is a major theme in a lot of his movies. Particularly Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

Animation is one of the most technologically-dependent entertainment media, so maybe that's what surprises people.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:59 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
I don't think he's mean-spirited. He's just old fashioned. Some people just prefer traditional ways. Nothing wrong with that.

Sure provided traditional ways don’t involve tacky and outdated beliefs.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Animation is one of the most technologically-dependent entertainment media, so maybe that's what surprises people.
And Miyazaki has long resisted a lot of more recent developments in animation like CGI or new AI produced animation technology in Japan. Anime fans themselves are frequently critical of streaming services like Netfilx and their bad business models. So while Miyazaki does take things to an extreme level, his distrust of Netflix is not really that much of an outlier considering how much the typical anime fan loathes Netflix. The real story here that a lot of the sensationalist headlines have been missing is how much of a savvy businessman Suzuki is.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

There might be less of a colloquial emphasis on "generations" as a means for dividing age brackets, at least when compared to how heavily we use them as a mental shortcut to explain trends in behaviors and world views in the United States.

I think that's very important to mention. Generations vary a great deal depending on the country in question. For example, a large part of my extended family (born and raised in Scandinavia and the UK) are firmly in the age group which we would call the "Boomer" generation here in the US. Not a single one of them acts like the "boomer" stereotype--but they fit the "silent generation" stereotype to a T despite being much younger. The classic "boomer" stereotype is very much an American thing in my opinion.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
And Miyazaki has long resisted a lot of more recent developments in animation like CGI or new AI produced animation technology in Japan. Anime fans themselves are frequently critical of streaming services like Netfilx and their bad business models. So while Miyazaki does take things to an extreme level, his distrust of Netflix is not really that much of an outlier considering how much the typical anime fan loathes Netflix. The real story here that a lot of the sensationalist headlines have been missing is how much of a savvy businessman Suzuki is.

I wouldn't even say that Miyazaki takes things to a particularly extreme level, at least not by Japanese standards. Japanese artists and artisans of all sorts are known (or is it infamous?) for being ultra-traditionalist. You can take any traditional Japanese craft from cooking to blacksmithing to carpentry to martial arts and it is essentially expected that all the masters will be sticklers to traditional methods. It's the same as an old Japanese carpenter refusing to use a power saw or a sushi chef cringing at the idea of microwaving rice.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

To be fair, I don't think those films outright condemn technology, so much as they criticize man's tendency to abuse it (often at nature's expense). Isn't Miyazaki fond of airplanes? That's obviously a technology.

Toshio Suzuki wrote:
To people who make films, theaters and DVDs are important-

*cries in Blu-ray*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2