• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tower of God Anime Reveals More Cast, Staff, Character Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm so lost. This is really how it's supposed to look? I've seen so much hype but this looks like something you'd see in a middle schoolers drawing notebook. It doesn't look "low budget" but the character designs are just awful.
TottoBennington

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I'm so lost. This is really how it's supposed to look? I've seen so much hype but this looks like something you'd see in a middle schoolers drawing notebook. It doesn't look "low budget" but the character designs are just awful.

Let me guess ... you are one of those people that want anime to look like anime.
Yes it sounds redundant but ... sometimes you have to look outside of it for inspiration.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Accelerator!? That... is not the voice I expected at all. Now I'm intrigued.
GURUGURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The writing and the world-building carried this webtoon in the earlier season. However, art and character designs significantly improve halfway through season 2 and beyond.
Personally I like the simplistic approach to character design instead of colorfully overdone. I also love the fact that you don't have to get attached to one character design since they often change outfit
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Are you all saying that this has already been animated, and that it is just a reissue. Really don't understand saying there is a second season already, unless this has been animated already.

So is this a new anime, or a reissued old anime?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Are you all saying that this has already been animated, and that it is just a reissue. Really don't understand saying there is a second season already, unless this has been animated already.

So is this a new anime, or a reissued old anime?

It's a new series. When people refer to "seasons" they're talking about the Manwha, which released on Webtoon, where creators can separate their works into "Seasons" to denote distinct story breaks or arcs.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Only one of the Korean Webtoons that was already animated was an OVA of noblesse.

Also like someone else said, the simple anime style is nice, and I think it fits the work. I mean its iconic now, but Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli art style is pretty simplistic compared to current anime. And thats not even saying anything about Ozuma Tezuka, doesnt make them any less epic.
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

You forgot to put your glasses on?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
I prefer this art style over Netflix doing everything in CGI. At least Crunchyroll will be doing their animation in 2D.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

So stop watching Seven Deadly Sins, and pay attention to the Tower of God trailer, silly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1