• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Announces PS5 Console's Technical Specifications

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
MS nex gen console: proprietary storage device

sony next gen console: normal m.2

frack non standard stuff and praise sony for going the normal route. (and they are one id expect a proprietary one given their past psp memory)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

frack non standard stuff and praise sony for going the normal route. (and they are one id expect a proprietary one given their past psp memory)

Considering the still hurt feelings over the Vita's proprietary memory cards there was never no logical reason for them to try that again.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

Except the whole point of a console is to be proprietary. Most people don't even know how to change a HDD/SSD on a console much less a PC.

While this is good news they dropped the ball on everything else except I/O data rates. Depending on prices and when (what as well) Nintendo's next system drops, I suspect MIcrosoft to "win" the USA market with Europe a toss up and Sony tied with Nintendo in Japan.

That's just my take at the moment because the price factor is really the thing that will decide this (along with backward compatibility which Microsoft is winning at the moment).
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
No,
the software library will determine which systems "wins."
Both systems are going to have buggy launch date consoles and I imagine with production issues in China prices will be sky-high regardless of the MSRP they announce.
I wouldn't count Sony out yet.
I'm not thrilled by anything MS offers as exclusive -- I'm just not into Halo or Gears of War or whatever else they own. I'm also sore at them as someone who uses Windows and just got done debugging my system after the last Windows 10 update!!!! Sheesh, I hate the changes those updates FORCE on my system every time MS decides to be cute!

I'm waiting out this year for "new" console hardware, anyway. There generally aren't great killer apps.
Next year we'll see if they fixed the inevitable issues with the production launch consoles and have games that are more than glorified tech demos.
In the meantime, I might finally get a PS4 if they offer a nice Black Friday deal on it...
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Firefly251 wrote:

The Xbox 360 used proprietary hard drives, in case you didn't know or forgot.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm disappointed. I think Microsoft will finally win a round against Sony.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:50 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Honestly I'm disappointed. I think Microsoft will finally win a round against Sony.

At first glance the new XBox and the PS5 look pretty similar. For the XBox its GPU has 52 CUs running at 1.825 GHz to give 12 TFLOPS. Sony has its system with 36 CUs running at 2.23 GHz to give 10.3 TFLOPS so an edge for the XBox. Memory bandwith is a bit higher on the PS5.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
-SP- wrote:

At first glance the new XBox and the PS5 look pretty similar. For the XBox its GPU has 52 CUs running at 1.825 GHz to give 12 TFLOPS. Sony has its system with 36 CUs running at 2.23 GHz to give 10.3 TFLOPS so an edge for the XBox. Memory bandwith is a bit higher on the PS5.

The CPU on the Series X, is also clocked slightly higher.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:

I have my doubts. The Xbox One seemed to be considered by most their weakest gen, and if Microsoft couldn't even beat Sony in sales when the former released what many say is their best gen (360) after the embarrassing handling of the PS3 announcement, I feel it's a major leap to say Microsoft will be winning the sales this gen before even we see what the upcoming game line-up is.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
No,
the software library will determine which systems "wins."

This, as it always has been.
Yes the XBOX does look slightly stronger but honestly, how many people can even capitalize on the power of the new consoles? There are still only a few people with 4k TV and I still don't really see that changing, but I digress. In the end the games are the only thing that really matter and as long as MS can't get some exclusives from Japan I don't see them "winning" there. And in my opinion gaming got again more Japan centered in the current gen.
While I do respect MS as a console developer in a way (mainly because of the 360) I kinda hope that the new XBOX will perform mediocre as well so that these stupid console wars/races will finally stop, which Nintendo left years ago (they do have tons of other problems I don't want to address here).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:30 am Reply with quote
The lack of pics is what it is but the rest is what you usually get from a GDC talk. You now know if GDC streams are for you or not. I give this presentation a C+. It just ends 2/3rds through. A bit
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
No console has ever won a generation because of its specs. Even when the most powerful console did win, which is rare, it wasn't because it was the most powerful.
tomdean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:47 am Reply with quote
No mention of VR - was hoping they would continue to develop that front. But since it hasn't really taken off, I can see why they would shelf it to save money

Microsoft has moved on to cloud gaming(or simply admitted defeat), so PS5, with the right games and the right set up, could be yet another generation-defining console.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the console wars are getting tiresome.

But I will add this: Even with strong specs, the only thing that will matter to players in the end are the games, ESPECIALLY 3rd party support. No 3rd party support? Kiss your console bye-bye.

As for me, I'm sticking with my PC and my glorious ever-growing Steam library.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
In terms of just power by numbers, Xbox has the edge, but the gap between them and Sony is the smallest it's ever been.

In terms of the console war effort it's been -

PS2 Vs. Xbox
(PS2 - weakest/cheapest console, won by a great distance)

PS3 Vs. Xbox 360
(PS3 - most powerful on paper/most expensive, won worldwide, but marginally after much effort, it was essentially a tie, and the headway Microsoft made in market share was a big win. Also the difficult nature of PS3's hardware gave Microsoft an early advantage by having the better performing games. But undeniably early adoption of blu-ray as the cheapest player on the market was an advantage).

PS4 Vs. Xbone
(PS4 - most powerful and also the cheaper console initially, won very handily. Whether it lives up to PS2 is unlikely, but it's still trending over it in launch aligned performance. But a large part of this was also due to Microsoft's initial anti-consumer missteps which Sony capitalized on by essentially sticking to the status quo. PS4 is a fine system, but by and large Xbone has been a disastrous misstep for Microsoft, and I believe even the Switch has overtaken it in worldwide sales.)

PS5 Vs. XseX
- For now it seems that Microsoft has the edge when it comes to multiplat games performing better in res and framerate at least in terms of being able to maintain consistency with fewer potential dips over PS5 thanks to the TF overhead. Plus the additional GPU CUs would be helpful in terms of graphics where light and shadow raytracing tech are concerned. But I feel that res/fps will only be a differentiation for native 4K, and both consoles could be quite capable of doing 1080p 30/60 fps as a baseline with minimal differences. The majority of games will likely be 1080p native with 4K upscaling.

PS5 is no slouch though, and the SSD that is double that of Microsoft's is no joke. This can swing things in PS5's favour in terms of open-world games being able to have more assets and objects at a distance and dynamic changes in games. Multiplat games could take advantage of this, but undoubtedly these will be designed to also run on Microsoft's slower SSD. But also considerations for the PC market where such drives are not available yet, and the vast majority of consumers still have regular HDDs will hold things back.

So Multi-plats will be hampered. But also Microsoft's commitment to Game Pass and supporting Xbone subscribers means that Microsoft's first party (with exceptions) will still be creating games that are compatible with Xbone hardware for 1-2 years.

Essentially, Sony will have the best chance to demonstrate the full advantages of their system with 1st party completely dedicated to PS5 exclusives out the gates. As well, Japanese developers will stick stick with PS5, though the biggest ones like Square Enix will stick with multiplatform/PC considerations, and smaller Japanese devs will not be pushing cutting edge visuals on par with Sony 1st party, but the new tech does make it simpler.

The SSD speeds of both consoles also have the advantage of eliminating asset duplication and streaming considerations, so developers can develop games faster without having to do as much Q/A at the end of development to bug-fix and program for streaming management at the tail end of development. Also game sizes would be smaller as there is no need to duplicate assets for streaming as you would on disc of regular Hard drives. Though this might be a wash as the size of assets and textures will also grow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2