• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Last Exile and BEM Artist Range Murata

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningCount

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear from him. I'll always remember his very distinctive work on Blue Submarine No.6 first, then the 2003 PS2 game Spy Fiction, and then Last Exile. I would love to see him get to work on something Gundam-ish or Cowboy Bebop-ish in the future that has an aesthetic like Blue Submarine No.6 and Spy Fiction. That being said, he obviously has range (no pun intended), because these BEM designs do not look like his signature style to me (though I suppose I-DO didn't, either).
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I missed his lecture at AX last year, he ended up leaving the US early due to a cold. I really got into his artwork during last exile, and as mentioned previously blue submarine no.6, Then almost as quickly as I got into his art, I promptly got out of it, his art was going down the "creepy" path and he focused more on female characters that were definitely not of age and I'll leave it at that.

I have been following him a little more as of recent and it seems like the phase kinda passed, but I get reminded of it frequently.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah, thanks, one of my favorite artists! Good to see a new interview with him.
Love hearing that he's got a lot of various offers lined up for his art.

LightningCount wrote:
Good to hear from him. I'll always remember his very distinctive work on Blue Submarine No.6 first, then the 2003 PS2 game Spy Fiction, and then Last Exile. I would love to see him get to work on something Gundam-ish or Cowboy Bebop-ish in the future that has an aesthetic like Blue Submarine No.6 and Spy Fiction. That being said, he obviously has range (no pun intended), because these BEM designs do not look like his signature style to me (though I suppose I-DO didn't, either).

Very cool. I got into him right from the start with those three projects as well. Smile

Loved his work so much also bought some of his artbooks over the years.
He got me following many of Gonzo's action shows from the beginning thanks to those two shows and I quite liked Spy Fiction (I remember blind buying it for his designs plus the MGS influence).

Something like that would be really cool to see.

Yeah I remember thinking the same thing, I was surprised to find out he did them back when the show got looked at during the preview guide, and it was interesting how most of the BEM designs really look very different from his usual style and ID-0 was indeed quite varied where I think some reminded me of him like some of the main girls and others felt pretty different.
Definitely recognized his classic designs in Cop Craft (where he did the LNs), which despite some flaws I really liked a lot despite some reviews thanks to the rapport with the buddy cop style leads.
Unknow0059

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:00 am Reply with quote
Range Murata is a masterful artist indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1