• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nikkei Editorial Predicts Gloomy Times Ahead for Japanese Anime Industry as China Puts Foc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually glad that this is happening. I'm aware that this might negatively affect the industry, but this might be one of the push Japan needs in order to forcibly pay their animators decent wages.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
A brain drain to China is the last thing the japanese anime industry needs right now, it would kill the animation know-how in Japan in a single decade. Production commitees should start increasing the wages for young animators so that those can live independently right from the start of their careers, and they should still maintain a system which is competitive enough to nurture true talent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I'm actually glad that this is happening. I'm aware that this might negatively affect the industry, but this might be one of the push Japan needs in order to forcibly pay their animators decent wages.

I was thinking the same thing. I could also see it contributing to a reduction in shows produced each season, even if it doesn't impact pay. That might not be the worst thing.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Frankly I am afraid this may not happen. The Corona Pandemic proves that how reliant some Japanese studios and production teams are to foreign outsources, including ones from mainland China, Korea and Vietnam. Any increase of profits that anime industry enjoys, will most likely go straight into the pockets of production committees’ heads, instead of improving the hard lives of poor Japanese animators who were only keeping this job for their love And passion of animation

Chinese domestic animation has its own circles and markets; and I highly doubt it has much interaction with Chinese folks who like Japanese animation, so they co-exist and can’t replace each other, at least in mainland China markets. And I also believe most Japanese animators would still like to stay in Japan to do their job, no matter how competitive the pays the other side offers
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

That's probably the exact opposite of what's going to end up happening, I'd imagine. If anyone asks for more money, they'll be replaced.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
the article says 30% of companies are in the red. Rather than better pay, this may make that 30% even higher and kill off more companies. They industry needs to find new ways to make money, or cut costs. I do think they'd benefit from making far less anime per year like they use to... Quality over quantity is always how I roll.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
1. Pay your animators better, McDonalds pays more than an animation job in Japan also pay your artists, artist pay is even worse in Japan.

2. Change that disc model into a streaming/merchandise model, discs are a bottleneck in an industry where content is easily streamed in any country unlike gaming which requires top class internet infrastructure that few have in many places. We need Steam for anime and Steam for manga, preferably both in one or two platforms with limited to no region restrictions.

3. Crowdfunding is more necessary than ever for smaller projects, indie anime needs to his the scene and not just one shots but anime of a single cour (10-13 episodes).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the Association of Japanese Animations (AJA), the total market value for the anime industry in 2018 is 2.1814 trillion yen (approximately US$20 billion). On the other hand, only 267.1 billion yen (approximately US$2.4 billion) worth of the proceeds — a mere 12% of the market worth — went to animation companies. Nikkei observed that although approximately half of the anime industry's revenue comes from overseas, a larger share of the money is going to the production committees which handle the international rights than to the animation production companies. The production committee system prevents many studios from seeing profits even if they produce a hit anime.

This right here is the massive, glaring issue. If the industry doesn't move away from the archaic, profit-hoarding production committee model and give animation studios a direct cut of profits, then it's going to wither up and die.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
1. Pay your animators better, McDonalds pays more than an animation job in Japan also pay your artists, artist pay is even worse in Japan.

2. Change that disc model into a streaming/merchandise model, discs are a bottleneck in an industry where content is easily streamed in any country unlike gaming which requires top class internet infrastructure that few have in many places. We need Steam for anime and Steam for manga, preferably both in one or two platforms with limited to no region restrictions.

3. Crowdfunding is more necessary than ever for smaller projects, indie anime needs to his the scene and not just one shots but anime of a single cour (10-13 episodes).

Japan already has many streaming platforms, and digital manga is doing quite well in Japan already.

Crowdfunding doesn't work. Even the most successful anime projects only received enough funds for a short OVA. It's not a sustainable way to produce anime.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
There is money. It's just that the folks that give the orders are hoarding it all. The investissors want all of it because they are greedy and animation is just a mean for them to make money. They Don't really care about quality or the suffering of the workers who are making anime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I also don't see Japanese animators moving to China due to higher pay. As history has shown, if the Japanese government and the PRC have a diplomatic spat, that produces a backlash in China towards Japanese citizens living there.

The committee system isn't going anywhere, because there is nothing to replace it. If Japanese corporations and companies (like their version of Netflix or Amazon) with deep pockets had an interest in producing anime, they would be doing so already.

If Chinese animation is so great, we would already be watching it, instead of Japanese anime. But the greatest issue hanging over Chinese animation is the PRC government. That is not going to change anytime soon.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I also don't see Japanese animators moving to China due to higher pay. As history has shown, if the Japanese government and the PRC have a diplomatic spat, that produces a backlash in China towards Japanese citizens living there.

Its said in the article that there are already Japanese working in Chinese companies. Take your guess why so many TV anime today are being headed by first-time/inexperienced staff. Diplomatic/racial BS means nothing when Japanese animators are faced with hungry stomachs.

Kougeru wrote:
the article says 30% of companies are in the red. Rather than better pay, this may make that 30% even higher and kill off more companies. They industry needs to find new ways to make money, or cut costs. I do think they'd benefit from making far less anime per year like they use to... Quality over quantity is always how I roll.

This will not happen. FUNimation wants to simulcast 15+ anime per season, Crunchyroll wants to simulcast 15+ anime per season. Amazon and Netflix wants to take a show or two for their service.

Hoppy800 wrote:

This is similar the climate change scenario: Everyone knows that something needs to be done (i.e. reduce the carbon emissions, in this case pay the animators better). But guess what, no one wants to act, because it will cut deep down the production companies profit margins.

Hoppy800 wrote:

You know that streaming wars will get even worse at this point. A Steam for anime/manga will not happen. Stop being deluded.

DavetheUsher wrote:

That's probably the exact opposite of what's going to end up happening, I'd imagine. If anyone asks for more money, they'll be replaced.

My point is that as the Japanese animator pool size decreases as they're being hired by Chinese companies (If I'm reading the article right!), then studio owners might have to pay them more if they want to retain talent. Will it cause bankruptcy of studios (especially in-between animation studios)? Yes. And I'll be fine with it.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Ummm Colored Pencil was the King's Avatar OVA's, prequel movie and whenever they decide to finally release season 2 (which was supposed to have come out midway last year), season 1 (which the picture is from) was B.CMAY PICTURES.
If you wanted an example of a company with an animation base in Japan you should have gone with Haoliners Animation League as it has expanded it's animation studios into both Japan and South Korea. They use the studios outside of Japan to produce series to get around some of China's stricter laws on what is allowed in a series and have put out uncensored versions for their global releases which stay truer to their source materials.
ILOVEITToo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
Most chinese anime are trash. So I hope they don't dominate in anime industry
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:17 am Reply with quote
ILOVEITToo wrote:
Most chinese anime are trash. So I hope they don't dominate in anime industry
I

Most isekai anime are trash but they dominate the anime industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2