• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sazae-san Voice Actress: Dialogue Recording Put on Hold Until Further Notice

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
The whole cast is really old. It makes sense.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:56 am Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
The whole cast is really old. It makes sense.

More likely it's that the cases are spiking in Japan, especially Tokyo, so more and more business are taking safety measures. I expect this will be all anime soon.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Especially since projecting your voice is very bad for spreading the virus. It has spread dramatically from certain choir and other enclosed singing events.

The US animation style of recording voices alone instead of in ensemble may work out better with this.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Especially since projecting your voice is very bad for spreading the virus. It has spread dramatically from certain choir and other enclosed singing events.

The US animation style of recording voices alone instead of in ensemble may work out better with this.

But you're still around the other people who handle the actual recording and production, and in a close space...might not be the best.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I was worried that the recent pandemic would affect the recording of animated shows. For example, Cartoon Network Latin America had to delay the airing of the last episodes of Steven Universe Future due to the voice actors being in quarantine, and, if I'm not mistaken, Funimation also mentioned that some English dubs will be affected too.
I think this is understandable considering that voice actors have to move from one studio to another and interact with many people, so the risk of infection is really high.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Even with just solo artist and interviewers, precautions are being taken:

https://twitter.com/Hikaru_0702_/status/1246761463181537283

本日はSPICEさんで生放送をさせていただきました!
ご視聴してくださった皆さん、ありがとうございます!
気持ちを飛ばしてくださった皆さん、ありがとうございます!

I have a live stream with the help of SPICE today.
Thank you for watching it!
Thank you for always thinking about me!

AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Considering how far audio recording technology has come in past fifty plus years I can remember I am surprised that more can not be done remotely. You should hear what people sounded like when I grew up in 1950s/60s over phone compared today.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm surprised more shows didn't get delayed this season.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

First I've heard of that... and it sounds like the sort of thing that makes intuitive sense until you think about it harder (sound waves don't have a whole lot of pushing force, and people have to breathe whether they're talking/singing loudly or not). Probably has more to do with being close together in an enclosed space than anything else. Remember, the only thing spreading faster than this virus is rumors about it.

Perfectly reasonable for them to play it safe, though, as cramming people into a recording studio to dub an anime seems like a pretty bad idea right now. Not sure how other shows are coping with this. Maybe by ignoring the issue, unfortunately.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="kotomikun"]
John Thacker wrote:

First I've heard of that... and it sounds like the sort of thing that makes intuitive sense until you think about it harder (sound waves don't have a whole lot of pushing force, and people have to breathe whether they're talking/singing loudly or not). Probably has more to do with being close together in an enclosed space than anything else.

That's true that there's a lot of rumors about it, but it has indeed been widely reported that a fair number of super spreading asymptomatic clusters have been linked to choir practice. Being in an enclosed area certainly makes things worse, but it still makes sense because people aspirate more strongly with singing, and that can increase the distance of aerosols as well as larger moisture particles. That affects viral load.

Quote:
Remember, the only thing spreading faster than this virus is rumors about it

Safer to say "misinformation" than rumors, because rumors sounds like it would exclude official misinformation (often later updated) from the CDC and WHO. Indeed, quite a lot od misinformation has spread from people who confidently repeated earlier guidance about not wearing a mask. Either way, it's incorrect, as this virus, thanks to asymptomatic transmission, has spread much faster than information about it, true or false, at least in Western countries. Your banality strikes me as an unexamined substitute for thought that is exactly why people didn't take the virus seriously at first and why they blithely and blindly repeated claims that masks didn't help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1