• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'She professed herself pupil of the wise man.' MMO Isekai Novels Get TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a picture of Atelier Lulua for a second there
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:53 am Reply with quote
Added to the spreadsheet. Going by web debut, this is the oldest Narou novel with an anime currently in development; by light novel debut, it's second after Mushoku Tensei. And assuming it airs two seasons or more after MT, it'll have the longest LN-to-anime gap of any Narou novel yet -- something like seven years.

Looking at its Google Trends graph, it's been declining for more than a year. I guess it's impressive that its popularity was on the rise for so long, given that it started in 2012 -- maybe that's why some producer decided it was a good anime prospect?
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote
it seems that they have encouraged to continue to Gender bender isekai, excellent although it is already a little late.
toprak

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:14 am Reply with quote
I don't wanna do prejudice but hmm probably it would be a bad isekai adaptation.
Quote:
The novels center on Kagami Sakimori, a player of an MMO game where he plays as one of the game world's nine great sages, the stoic summoner Dunbalf. When he falls asleep playing the game one night, he awakens inside the game's world as his character, but now in the form of a cute girl.

I stopped reading it after these lines.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dunbalf

I hope dearly this really is a combination of Dunbine + Gandalf
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
It was a matter of time until it get animated and it took it really tooks its time. I like the ln and manga adaptation so far so good new for me.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
Otakuch wrote:
I don't wanna do prejudice but hmm probably it would be a bad isekai adaptation.
Quote:
The novels center on Kagami Sakimori, a player of an MMO game where he plays as one of the game world's nine great sages, the stoic summoner Dunbalf. When he falls asleep playing the game one night, he awakens inside the game's world as his character, but now in the form of a cute girl.

I stopped reading it after these lines.

I wonder why, one of the most common complaints about isekai is the harem component, and gender bender isekais tend to have much less reelvant harem elements than the rest.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:
it seems that they have encouraged to continue to Gender bender isekai, excellent although it is already a little late.

I am actually a little surprised that this isn't more common. Among isekai that have made it to anime form, the only example I can think of so far is Tanya in Saga of Tanya the Evil. There will also be one character in So I'm A Spider, So What? in this situation, but who know when that one will actually make it to the screen. (It's supposed to be out "this year," but the lack of any more specific information over the last few months is concerning.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Amy192

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

I am actually a little surprised that this isn't more common. Among isekai that have made it to anime form, the only example I can think of so far is Tanya in Saga of Tanya the Evil. There will also be one character in So I'm A Spider, So What? in this situation, but who know when that one will actually make it to the screen. (It's supposed to be out "this year," but the lack of any more specific information over the last few months is concerning.)

The one in So I'm A Spider, So What? is a bit different, she is a trans girl unlike the other gender benders. That means she isn't a gender bender as her gender stayed the same
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
^ If you're talking about spoiler[Karnatia https://kumodesu.fandom.com/wiki/Karnatia], then no, there is no way this isn't a gender bender or maybe was it said otherwise in the yet untranslated vols ? Keep in mind that this expression doesn't have quite have the same meaning when we are talking about japanese fiction than the one it has irl.

Considering both isekai and vrmmo LN, i can think of a bunch of them with such characters but the only one in a long time that have been animated is indeed Youjo Senki.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Kitsu Kyouno wrote:

I think they have not animated more isekai GB because they are not usually popular, "tilea worries" only have 2 volumes of light novel despite the fact that the web novel still ongoing.
"A transmigration vampire would like to take a nap" and "Last boss" both finished with 8 volumes and it seems to me that only the novels that are still ongoing get anime. Although lately I've seen new novels with gender bender but they don't have much material to adapt.
Key

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
#900545 wrote:
The one in So I'm A Spider, So What? is a bit different, she is a trans girl unlike the other gender benders. That means she isn't a gender bender as her gender stayed the same

Sorry, no. The novels (or at least the official English translations, anyway) have made it quite clear that the character in question was physically male in Japan and fully physically female in the fantasy world. The novels don't rule out that she may have been gay and not realized/accepted in her original life; in fact, that would neatly explain why she was the only one in the class who gender-swapped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I thought it was a picture of Atelier Lulua for a second there

Same, for a split-second I thought it was going to get a anime adaptation... then I read the title. Crying or Very sad
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
one of the most common complaints about isekai is the harem component

On the other hand, everyone loves My Next Life as a Villainess.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:
one of the most common complaints about isekai is the harem component

On the other hand, everyone loves My Next Life as a Villainess.

It's about execution. Hamehura does it very well
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2