• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime We're Excited for in 2020

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope I am wrong about this, but 2020 could still be a bust if more series continue to be postponed. I am also looking forward to Re:Zero season 2. As far as this week's poll, I rather not participate because we don't know with certainly what is airing this year and what could be delayed for next year.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Nothing that interests me at the moment, unfortunately. Sad
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
For me, it's Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Akudama Drive, and the Hypnosis Mic series.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
Really excited for Jujutsu Kaisen. It's one of the best Shonen jump titles from the last few years and I can see it really blowing up when the anime comes out. It has that early Bleach vibe but weirder and way, way darker. There are times when it feels very close to Chainsawman. Oh, and the fights get really, really awesome.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Of these 5 shows, Re:Zero 2 is my number one pick.

The Day I Became a God sounds like it is going to be a depressing movie, pretending to be a romantic movie.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The Day I Became a God sounds like it is going to be a depressing movie, pretending to be a romantic movie.

It can be both, but it's a TV series so there's that.

For me, like 10 shows Fall are where my hype is. I can't even bother listing them but I'm sure I commented on their news threads plenty of times
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Of this list I'm most interested in Re:Zero then Han'yō. I'm qute surprised that Inuyasha got this sequel after so much time. Seemed to come out out of nowhere. No clue how long it'll last but hopefully they don't do the whole naraku is in another castle for whatever big bad they have this time around.

Also side note,
Quote:
waifu war over Rem, Ram and Emilia
Ram was actually that popular? Or was this a Japan thing cause of her abrasive personality. Not to throw shade at her but I never thought she was anywhere as popular Rem and Emilia. Thought she was in the 'others' bracket like Beatrice, Ferris and the rest of the princess candidates. I figured Ram was paired Rem alot cause they were twins and they could sell more merch that way.
cchigu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I have always felt like that Re:Zero treats its characters shit, use them sometimes as plot devices and sometimes as tools to elicit emotions. I mean I can understand the hype behind it but to me, the show seems very hollow. While I am ranting, I would also like to add that I have never understood the hype behind Jun Maeda's shows, Angel Beats bored me to death and Charlotte didn't even evoke a single feeling. And I am saying this as a person whose favorite genre is drama.

I really don't care much about the shows airing in the second half of 2020 except for Oregairu, Kingdom, Aria, Golden Kamuy and maybe Haikyu S4.5.

Till now, 2020 already has aired masterpieces like Kaguya S2 and Dorohedoro, I am more than satisfied with it. It is already way better than 2018.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Log Horizon is my most anticipated title, cause in all honesty i was almost sure that it was not going to get another season with all the trouble that followed after s2 aired, so it is a miracle on itslef.

Another title is Re:Zero 2nd season, it has been far too long and now im ready to see it with full glory, as long as nothing else shows up to delay them all.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Ikebukuro West Gate Park ends up getting delayed soon, we still don't have a PV for it and the season starts in 2 - 3 weeks.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:33 pm Reply with quote
No results from last week's poll?
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I can’t even begin to say how psyched I am for Hanyō no Yashahime! I was literally jumping up and down when I first heard the news.

BTW, I have to say that I think it’s a little odd that 3 of these 5 are not even on the Upcoming Anime List. I‘m sure that Covid-19 has made maintaining that list a bit difficult, but still . .
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
I have always felt like that Re:Zero treats its characters shit,

just because bad things happen to them doesn't mean it doesn't respect them. the dark elements serve a purpose and don't just exist as meaningless, bloody spectacle. which is how it should be

Quote:
use them sometimes as plot devices

how so exactly? just about all of the character we come to know for more than a few minutes have a clear place in the world or subaru's personal story, and characters primarily exist in stories to serve a function. i would much rather have a "plot device" character than a character that exists to fill up space and nothing else
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No results from last week's poll?

I too was wondering, maybe not enough people voted or too many titles made the top 5.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
...Till now, 2020 already has aired masterpieces like Kaguya S2 and Dorohedoro, I am more than satisfied with it. It is already way better than 2018.
Maybe you should count your blessings. If you haven't seen Clannad I'd suggest that rather than Charlotte or Angel Beats as a touchstone on Maeda and Company's work. Actually, Key's best works were done by the whole original creative crew and Maeda-san's nearly solo productions of late haven't been nearly as good so far. But great literature they ain't and some claim them as the height of emotional manipulation in contrast to Re:Zero which is a more nuanced story than that IMO. I'm looking forward to the latter and Shield Hero S2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2