• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Poe Clan Omnibus 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fantagraphics has divided those original volumes into two large omnibuses, the second of which is forthcoming as of this writing,

Fantagraphics usually paces their Hagio releases about a year apart, but I haven't seen volume 2 up for pre-sale and volume 1 has been out for almost a year. Do you happen to know if they're planning to release volume 2 this year? It sounds like you've got some "inside info". I'm grateful to them for publishing these gems, so I don't mind waiting, but it would brighten my day to know a volume 2 release is near...

Thank you for the great review. I appreciate how you draw attention to less mainstream titles. I always learn a thing or two too. ^_~
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:25 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Do you happen to know if they're planning to release volume 2 this year? It sounds like you've got some "inside info".

I've just spent two days trying to find where I'm positive I read that, only to come up empty. Shocked So either I'm having a psychic moment or I dreamed an August or September release date, and I'm sorry! (Let's hope I'm psychic?)

Quote:
Thank you for the great review. I appreciate how you draw attention to less mainstream titles. I always learn a thing or two too. ^_~

You're welcome! I love reviewing the less mainstream titles (I have another one I'm looking forward to writing) and I'm really glad that you enjoy them! I never got around to reviewing Legend of the Rainbow, a digital release, but if you like older shoujo, definitely give it a try. It is hands-down one of my favorites.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Princess_Irene"]
here-and-faraway wrote:
(Let's hope I'm psychic?)

No problem. I'll take a psychic release date anytime. ^_~

Based on your recommendation, I purchased all 4 volumes of Legend of the Rainbow.
Thank you! I love the vintage style artwork and I know the story will be awesome.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 am Reply with quote
I bought this upon release but haven't read it yet because I knew it'd be a while before the second volume comes out. I hope it won't be too long.
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm so sad that Fantagraphics has apparently abandoned this like they did with Wandering Son. I've yet to read this release since I was waiting for the second one to read all in one go.

I'd hoped that since this was to only be a 2 volume set, they'd be more likely to complete it. Crying or Very sad
shosakukan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
The Poe Clan was originally published in five volumes between 1972 and 1976,

Actually, 1972 is the year when manga magazine Bessatsu Shōjo Comic started to serialise Poe no Ichizoku.
The 5-volume Flower Comics-edition tankōbon were released from 1974 to 1976.
English-speaking people tend to see manga in the Western-equivalence-to-tankōbon form, but, in Japan, many manga first appear as what is carried in a magazine.
When you see a date in a manga-related bibliography, it may be better to pay heed to whether it is a serialisation-related date or a tankōbon-related date.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
I love reviewing the less mainstream titles

Whilst works by Hagio Moto are often regarded as 'arty', in Japan Poe no Ichizoku is still sold also in inexpensive small paperback editions, which 'ordinary' people, too, buy. The publisher is, of course, Shōgakukan, which is a publication giant.
It is interesting that in the States a publication-equivalent to an art house releases Poe no Ichizoku. It might reflect an interesting aspect of the manga scene in the States.

Recently I happened to re-read a short by Hagio Moto which had been carried in SF Fantasia 4.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1