• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Pokémon Sword and Shield: Isle of Armor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still playing through it but I'm really enjoying it.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 am Reply with quote
Very generous rating. *nervous laugh*
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
Completed the main campaign and almost all the side quests including the Diglett Quest with no guide, which was pretty annoying but great for the rewards. Once I complete all the Restricted Sparring types and the Pokedex, that'll be it. Really appreciate the new QoL changes that IoA brought, like discount vitamins, the Digging Pa/Armorite Ores, making Watt acquisition far more easy (disregarding exploits), Restricted Sparring providing much more BP than Battle Tower and some other additions. The new moves have given quite a few Pokemon some nice tools too (Indeedee M/F and Expanding Force is an obvious one).

While I had no issues with the Wild Area, the isle is a much cooler locale with a good deal to explore. And of course, the returning Pokemon/regional forms are great, plus you're able to get Hidden Abilities for base game Pokemon that weren't originally available unless you had access to the previous games, like Meowstic. Not sure about this, but I think you also get guaranteed HAs for Pokemon from rare beams as well, which is great too.

I agree with the review that the campaign is quite short, I was expecting it to be longer. Having already completed the base game with tons of level 100s didn't help either lol. And while Restricted Sparring is nice, I was hoping for a more robust Battle Tower feature, or updates to the existing one. I also agree that those not into the batting/team building aspect of Pokemon might appreciate IoA even less. Nonetheless, I really like the expansion, plus the martial arts aesthetics and theme of the isle and Kubfu/Urshifu. Very much looking forward to Crown Tundra.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Speaking of collecting, The Isle of Armor offers more than 200 new Pokémon. This is an obvious response to the National Dex controversy with players complaining about the decision not to include all previously released Pokémon in the main game.

This is false. 1st off, theres barely over 100 returning Pkmn (Key word there, returning, not "New") as the IoA introduces MANY older mons that were already and still are, obtainable in Galar without the dlc. and the next bit about this being in response to the natdex controversery? GF already confirmed they had already planned to do this DLC for the games B4 the games released. So, no, it was not due to people's outcry over the natdex cut.

That said, its a nice first step for the dlc as the article/review mentions but, if ur not interested in exploring, catching mons u already have, collecting items (Becus a 1% chance for a single Apriball to be obtained is bs odds so why bother collecting apricorns and ofc u go through the whole IoA twice and u'll have enough of the other items, not that u need em at this point in the game tbh) or doing the Diglett side quest, then there really is no value to this outside of the story which is short.

Heck, u won't even need but 1 or 2 new mons to start the dlc with and clear it (Kubfu aside ofc) cus I had bred a Blastoise for this dlc, forced to raise it to lv. 60 cus no proper lv scale sadly and the 5 mons I caught on the isle and planned to use? Never used em aside from Blastoise... thats how short and shallow this "adventure" was and yes, I did E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. so i cna admit, i had fun, but it has MAJOR probs. I am however, looking forward to the CT DLC, just hope they get it right this time and I doubt they will lol
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too keen about the Isle of Armor DLC. I did expect the Wild Area to be a part of it, but if I had known beforehand that the entire island (more or less) is Wild Area, I probably would have waited until Tundra came out. Granted, I'm not really fan of the Wild Area (especially Max Raid battles - you can thank the YCOMM system for that) in general.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm still confused on how to get my Cinderace to gigamax, but I think it's the soup or something. Anyway, I luckily did get the right one on the first try...yet I will say I never wanted to punch a darn video game character like I wanted to punch Avery...

I thought at first he was a she...he looked like he had women's breasts...then find out he's a dude, I was like, "Okay, explains a few things." but damn, he was a total ass!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1