• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'My Senpai Is Annoying' Workplace Romantic Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime by Doga Kobo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe this beat Nagatoro to the punch announcement wise, I mean with Nagatoro it has been hinted to the point that it's practically already out there already, but I'm talking about it being in your face, "Anime? Yes."

Last edited by LiteMangime on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am Reply with quote
No surpize here, the manga has been one of the most successful web-romcom of the last two years. All I hope now is an announcement of a TV anime adaption of Sakurai Norio's "The dangers in my heart", my favourite web-romcom of the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
Predictable indeed, it deserve it. I wonder which episode length format it will be, 24min might be hard.
Even if the Nagatoro anime's leak is true it won't be confirmed before next week's shonen jump 32th issue.

Last edited by Yune Amagiri on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
Huh, usually when listing the work of a named person/studio ANN typically goes with the most popular/rated stuff, but here they didn't. I would have at least expected Nozaki-kun to be mentioned.

Anyway, look forward to this. Hope it it's good though with that female character design juxtaposed with that male character design, oof, it's going to be starting off on the wrong foot for me.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
Sounds adorable and wholesome. And from one of my favorite studios! I'm in
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
Wow! And the first volume of the manga comes out in English in just a couple days! I can’t wait! I remember when Seven Seas first announced the manga license, there were a lot of ANN comments about it being lolicon, which really ticked me off, kinda. It’s just a fun rom-com among adults in a workplace, with almost no fan service. People see the petite short main girl and immediately assume she’s a child Rolling Eyes
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wow! And the first volume of the manga comes out in English in just a couple days! I can’t wait! I remember when Seven Seas first announced the manga license, there were a lot of ANN comments about it being lolicon, which really ticked me off, kinda. It’s just a fun rom-com among adults in a workplace, with almost no fan service. People see the petite short main girl and immediately assume she’s a child Rolling Eyes

I can only find one article of Seven Seas licensing this here, and it has only two comments, while the press release for it has no comments whatsoever?

But agree, if people went straight to accusations simply because of a short statured female lead, that's just pure stupidity on their behalf...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Huh, usually when listing the work of a named person/studio ANN typically goes with the most popular/rated stuff, but here they didn't. I would have at least expected Nozaki-kun to be mentioned.

Anyway, look forward to this. Hope it it's good though with that female character design juxtaposed with that male character design, oof, it's going to be starting off on the wrong foot for me.

Erm, no. ANN actually has a tendency to mention works recently licensed on the West, not the most popular/fitting ones. I understand the reasoning here but still find it pretty dumb.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Erm, no. ANN actually has a tendency to mention works recently licensed on the West, not the most popular/fitting ones. I understand the reasoning here but still find it pretty dumb.

Perhaps, but in defense of Megiddo's post, both Nozaki-kun manga and anime got licensed...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:02 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

Perhaps, but in defense of Megiddo's post, both Nozaki-kun manga and anime got licensed...

The main point here is not that something is licensed but that it is licensed recently. Nozaki is pretty old by this standard so "not worth mentioning". Rolling Eyes
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I can only find one article of Seven Seas licensing this here, and it has only two comments, while the press release for it has no comments whatsoever?

But agree, if people went straight to accusations simply because of a short statured female lead, that's just pure stupidity on their behalf...

Hmm, I specifically remember responding several times to people on that ANN thread for the Seven Seas licensing announcement. Maybe they got deleted? Idk.

Edit: Oops, seems I got confused with Twitter comments. My bad Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Last edited by LegitPancake on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:

Uh, really?

So Sket Dance and Psychic Squad were recently licensed in the west when they were mentioned in this article? Kawaguchi also directed Please Tell Me, Galko-chan and Nurse Witch Komugi R in 2016, much more recent both Sket Dance and Psychic Squad.

In that same article the script writer Deko Akao is credited with Noragami that was 2014 but doesn't mention Carol & Tuesday and the Do You Love Your Mom isekai show which were both far more current (just months prior to the article being written). The music by Yoshihiro Ike is credited by Tiger & Bunny (2011) and Kuroko no Basket Seasons 2&3 (2013, 2015). This is despite same person being in charge of the music for To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (2019), Dororo (2019), Inuyashiki (2017), and The Great Passage (2016).

Why do you think Tiger & Bunny, Kuroko no Basket, Noragami, and Sket Dance were listed? Because they're all relatively popular or at least known shows. Because that's what ANN does and it makes sense to do. Sing Yesterday and the fishing show are both relatively unpopular so it makes no sense to highlight them as Dogakobo's prior works in the article.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Nachtwandler wrote:

Uh, really?

So Sket Dance and Psychic Squad were recently licensed in the west when they were mentioned in this article? Kawaguchi also directed Please Tell Me, Galko-chan and Nurse Witch Komugi R in 2016, much more recent both Sket Dance and Psychic Squad.

In that same article the script writer Deko Akao is credited with Noragami that was 2014 but doesn't mention Carol & Tuesday and the Do You Love Your Mom isekai show which were both far more current (just months prior to the article being written). The music by Yoshihiro Ike is credited by Tiger & Bunny (2011) and Kuroko no Basket Seasons 2&3 (2013, 2015). This is despite same person being in charge of the music for To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts (2019), Dororo (2019), Inuyashiki (2017), and The Great Passage (2016).

Why do you think Tiger & Bunny, Kuroko no Basket, Noragami, and Sket Dance were listed? Because they're all relatively popular or at least known shows. Because that's what ANN does and it makes sense to do. Sing Yesterday and the fishing show are both relatively unpopular so it makes no sense to highlight them as Dogakobo's prior works in the article.

It's just a one example. In general ANN articles have exactly thing licencesed in the last 1-2 years, not the most popular works or the most fitting considering the news.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:44 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

In this case, the two examples of Doga Kobo's works (Sing "Yesterday" for Me, Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater) were the ones cited in the Japanese source Comic Natalie:

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/385767
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Hmm, I specifically remember responding several times to people on that ANN thread for the Seven Seas licensing announcement. Maybe they got deleted? Idk.

Considering 1 of the 2 comments is you complaining about twitter comments saying the same thing I'm thinking this might just be a "you" problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2