• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses Slayers Novels, 8 Other Novels, 4 New Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
If it weren't for J-Novel Club and other manga/light novels dropping the ball in terms of the one light novel that needs to licensed (Bofuri), then the Slayers news would have been exciting.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
@TnAdct1: It's not always the English side dropping the ball.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see something new from the author of Sexiled, even coming so close on the heels of Villainess.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I have been wanting to read the Slayers novels for some time so this is great news. Very Happy
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I keep rewriting a post to express my excitement and gratitude at the prospect of finally getting all of Slayers, so I will just boil it down to "OH MY GOD SLAYERS!!!!!!!"
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop only published the first eight Slayers novels, so hopefully this will finally cover the whole series. Does this company ever release print editions of their titles? I still far prefer physical books.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Tokyopop only published the first eight Slayers novels, so hopefully this will finally cover the whole series. Does this company ever release print editions of their titles? I still far prefer physical books.

Yes, they do do print editions, and Slayers will be one of them
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Yes, in the panel they announced Slayers will be released in hardcover 3-in-1 omnibuses starting next summer (July was the estimate). They release many of their series in paperback, but they've also released Full Metal Panic and Crest of the Stars (with new translations) in hardcover omnibuses starting early this year.

R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Slayers is a pretty fantastic license rescue! Happy for everyone who was left hanging by the unfinished Tokyopop run.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Wataru sounds good, but that Bloodline sounds like the Justine Timberlake movie
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the company and all but it's always sad to see them license basically everything under the sun...except the things in my must read list. My kingdom for the Alderamin on the Sky, Tokyo Ravens, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, and Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero novels and rest of Scrapped Princess and Moribito.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Any chance getting another Tokyopop series that was unfairly cast aside after just one volume, Kino's Journey? I know we got the manga, but, uh, it's be nice to get the original source material, ya'know?
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see slayers getting a print release. Hopefully they can bring more titles from digital to print =)

LegitPancake wrote:

Yes, in the panel they announced Slayers will be released in hardcover 3-in-1 omnibuses starting next summer (July was the estimate). They release many of their series in paperback, but they've also released Full Metal Panic and Crest of the Stars (with new translations) in hardcover omnibuses starting early this year.

Have you read this version of the CotSs novel? I'm curious how it compares to the previous TokyoPop release if you happened to have read that as well.
myskaros

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I love the company and all but it's always sad to see them license basically everything under the sun...except the things in my must read list. My kingdom for the Alderamin on the Sky, Tokyo Ravens, Lord Marksman and Vanadis, and Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero novels and rest of Scrapped Princess and Moribito.

The unfortunate thing about the first 4 titles there is that they all had old anime. J-Novel Club has in fact tried licensing light novels for series that had old anime, but none of them sell very well. Not sure about other publishers, but if you want JNC to look more into those series, you'll want to convince more people to buy stuff like Outbreak Company, Kokoro Connect, and Rokujouma.

As for Scrapped Princess... Sam does like licensing Sakaki's stuff, so it could just be a matter of time...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:58 am Reply with quote
Holmes of Kyoto is a welcome addition. It’s nice to have a licensed novel that isn’t set in a fantasy or game world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2