• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mob Psycho 100 II BR/DVD Limited Edition

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Not every episode is a stone-cold knockout, it eventually ends

Lmao. Agreed with just about every point brought up in the review, only thing I'd add is that I find the ending to be somewhat disappointing - maybe because of how rushed it is, or just that confrontation doesn't really feel like it goes places given where it ends. The manga ends up expanding on it a little, but also I'm not as much of a fan of the content that wasn't adapted. Maybe that's just the anime being so good that the stuff I have no reference for feels lesser, in comparison, though - a season 3 would certainly clear my doubts. You hear that, whoever's in charge? This guy on the internet wants a season 3, so I guess now you gotta do it.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Honest to God, Mob Psycho 100 (both seasons, but even more-so season 2) was some of the best animated TV I've seen in decades.
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100 was one of the best anime I watched during the last decade, not only because of its comedy and stellar animation but also because the message of bettering yourself was one that spoke a lot to me personally. The first season was already great, but the second knocked it out of the park.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Honest to God, Mob Psycho 100 (both seasons, but even more-so season 2) was some of the best animated TV I've seen in decades.
Yes it is very rare to see such consistency in animation quality in TV animation.The only other Anime that I can think of is Xam'd. And I don't recall seeing characters this expressive since Animaniacs.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I could really say bad things about this show either, but... maybe I'm just not compatible with this sort of thing.

Having watched both seasons, I can only remember bits and pieces of anything that happened in the story. Meme moments, mostly. Currently staring at CR's blurb for the "legendary fifth episode" of season 2, wondering whether I actually watched it. I remember liking the first episode of season 2 and feeling sort of let down by the rest of it, but can't come up with any specifics beyond that.

To put it in the form of a criticism, this feels like the kind of show that has way too many ideas that don't mesh well enough, making it hard to keep track of the overall plot (to the extent there is one). Everything that happens feels open-ended and inconclusive, making it unmemorable; every time I think something will lead to something else, it just doesn't, and it throws a dozen more concepts at me that also get stuck half-baked and forgotten. But apparently no one else is bothered by this, so I doubt this criticism will stick, either.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, Mob Psycho 100 is just pleasing to the eyes, and apparently my heart too. One of the most satisfying shounen I've watched.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
If someone asked me to name one of the most heartwarming and tear-jerking moments in anime, among other worthy contenders, I feel obligated to place Mob S2 episode 7 (Reigen's redemption arc) somewhere close to top. Everything felt...so satisfying, and wholesome.

When Reigen acknowledged Mob's growth with that gentle smile and relief, I got teary-eyed every single time and I have lost count how many times I have watched that particular scene...

UGHHH, please tell me I am not the only one who loves that scene to death.

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
^ I think Season 1's 1000% gratitude is still a more impactful moment (maybe because of execution), but Mob saying he knew Reigen was "a good person" all along is still one of the best scenes of this show, yeah.
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
It is one of the best-animated show but does it have the same quality of writing throughout? Sadly, no. The second season, in particular, was very shonen-y and at times very cheesy. Anyway, I love MP100, but it is far from a perfect anime and there is a hell lot of room for improvement. But still, if you asked me whether I have watched a better shonen this past decade(except Gintama), my answer would be nope.
we love lain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:54 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
It is one of the best-animated show but does it have the same quality of writing throughout? Sadly, no. The second season, in particular, was very shonen-y and at times very cheesy. Anyway, I love MP100, but it is far from a perfect anime and there is a hell lot of room for improvement. But still, if you asked me whether I have watched a better shonen this past decade(except Gintama), my answer would be nope.

How do you think the writing could improve? What does it do wrong and what can it do to remedy that?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the Limited Edition comes with plenty of goodies for collectors

Such as...? When reviewing a disk set, it's generally considered good manners to not limit the review to the series, but to spend a few words to review the disk set itself. "Plenty of goodies" sure sounds like something worth elaborating on.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
The second season, in particular, was very shonen-y and at times very cheesy.

It felt about the same as the first season, to me. First season had the espers storming the HQ branch, here we had the espers storming Suzuki's tower. I ended up liking the episodes about storming the tower better, maybe because there was more variety to the people involved, maybe just because the teleporter's power just looks that cool, who knows.
Scias

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Mob Psycho 100 was one of the best anime I watched during the last decade, not only because of its comedy and stellar animation but also because the message of bettering yourself was one that spoke a lot to me personally. The first season was already great, but the second knocked it out of the park.

Personally, I found the self-improvement meme aspect to be obnoxious and self-righteous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1