• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mob Psycho 100 Official Accounts Comment on Anime Trending in the U.S.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
What the hell is this reality even.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't surprise me at all that Goolag is doing this...
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quite the timeline we're in it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I mean, you don’t have to scroll down very far on any of the other search engines before things start coming up mostly Mob Psycho 100, so I don’t think they are that different from Google’s results. Though engaging with his argument as if it were offered in good faith is probably fruitless.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Remember when an ANN reviewer said that Reigen became a sex icon?
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I mean, you don’t have to scroll down very far on any of the other search engines before things start coming up mostly Mob Psycho 100, so I don’t think they are that different from Google’s results. Though engaging with his argument as if it were offered in good faith is probably fruitless.

Let's not act like the opposing side is acting in good faith either. The concept of big corporations, especially tech companies omitting or promoting certain results and data is a well established practice, especially on platforms like Google and YouTube. But given the source of who pointed this out, and the sheer meme-ery of the anime subject matter in addition to the political landscape of current events , a lot of people will either dismiss it or actively encourage it. Social media is a pretty awful place to have any kind of good faith discussion in general.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Let's not act like the opposing side is acting in good faith either. The concept of big corporations, especially tech companies omitting or promoting certain results and data is a well established practice, especially on platforms like Google and YouTube. But given the source of who pointed this out, and the sheer meme-ery of the anime subject matter in addition to the political landscape of current events , a lot of people will either dismiss it or actively encourage it. Social media is a pretty awful place to have any kind of good faith discussion in general.

you ignore the part where the studies show there was NO political bias, which is the topic and accusation. Google simply adjusts searches to cater to what most people want. In this case when people search "Mob", it so happens that they MOSTLY want to see the anime. Very simple
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Just stating the facts
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Let's not act like the opposing side is acting in good faith either.

I came to this thread asking myself "I wonder who will defend this" and of course it's someone who conceptualizes reality in terms of opposing sides!
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
When you consider, as so many people fail to, that your search results in most search engines are weighted towards your search history (unless you take steps to avoid that), perhaps the real takeaway here is that Gums McDirtbag is secretly an anime fan? Which of course is just another entry on the long list of things his family has tainted by association.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The messenger being who it is doesn’t help, but the real issue is the argument doesn’t really make sense. It would be one thing if it were the general search results - which isn’t the case; while Mob Psycho is one result that comes up, most of the results are for the other uses of the term and are pretty much the same as results elsewhere - but we’re talking specifically about an image search. People aren’t looking for news or information about topics via an image search (except maybe information found on a map), they’re looking for images. They would be doing a regular search to find that, and as I said, Google’s results there are pretty much the same as you would find elsewhere. It is unclear how anyone would be “manipulated” by Google having image results for a specific word in a different order than other search results, especially for a word like “Mob” where the user likely already has an opinion about such groups of people if they are using the term to describe them. People being more likely to be looking for the anime character than groups of people when they search for images of “Mob” makes more sense than Step 1. Change results of image search of a particular word, Step 2. ????????, Step 3. Manipulate people into...something as an explanation of the search results. Ultimately, it’s just casting vague aspersions at Google to play into preexisting beliefs about tech companies among conservatives in America. The results here are no more manipulation than an image search of “Knuckles” showing the character from Sonic or of “Sailor” resulting in images of Sailor Moon, which are among the many examples people used to satirize his tweet.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

He still is. I googled search this yesterday to see if it was true after someone pointed it out on Twitter and for the love of god why? I'm planning to watch Mob Psycho but is there a legit reason he's shown as a internet sex icon on google?

But also the government is clearly catching onto the fact that Google is trying to convert everyone to anime through the power of search.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The sex icon is actually a very funny thing where this episode review: animenewsnetwork.com/review/mob-psycho-100-ii/episodes-1-3/.142470 by Steve Jones said "Most importantly, scumbag con artist and internet sex symbol Reigen is back in business."

and it took off, even on JP Twitter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 am Reply with quote
Lol @ "we know the reason why"
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Google simply adjusts searches to cater to what most people want.

I don't know what's worse, people thinking this is the only thing they do or people thinking even if it was just that it's perfectly normal. It doesn't have to just be "politics", it can literally just be selling out and being paid to promote one thing over another. Whether it's tracking your data for advertisers or full on de-listing sites and search results for "reasons" it's annoying, and mainly why I switched to Duck Duck Go ages ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3