• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BONES, Director Hiroko Utsumi Reveal SK8 the Infinity Original Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
This looks neat, one of better looking/promising original anime in recent times.
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 am Reply with quote
To no one's surprise, it is yaoibait with generic male characters. Bones has gone from doing FMA or Eureka Seven to this. Dark times for anime...
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 am Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:
To no one's surprise, it is yaoibait with generic male characters. Bones has gone from doing FMA or Eureka Seven to this. Dark times for anime...

Replace yaoibait with fujobait and FMA and E7 with Wolf's Rain and Rahxephon and you have my thoughts exactly about this... oh boy, talk about a studio that it's a shadow of their former selves.
Sad thing is, the other option would probably have been moe/otakubait, which is even worse so... I dunno, dark times for anime indeed...

Last edited by donhumberto on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:34 am Reply with quote
It's written by Okouchi, so it should be entertaining and filled with bonkers plot twists at least. I'll check it out.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quote
The animation of the skateboarding seems well done, at least from what can been seen in the trailer. If anyone can properly render skateboarding into animation, Bones would probably be among the few that could. I’ve liked the director’s (and also the series composition writer’s) previous works, so I’ll probably check this out.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
The Tony Hawk's Pro Skater anime looks great. Jk jk.
This could be interesting. I trust Bones.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dirty racers, AI racers, and other unique individuals compete in the "youth skateboard race battle."

So, it's a "wacky races" thing, but with skateboards (instead of cars)? That's... not what I expected, I'll give it that. Nor does it really come across in the trailer. Guess we'll see what it's really like when it arrives.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:

So did you not watch Mob Psycho 100, or what?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
*sees ACTUAL animation, split-second shots of relevant characters, skateboarding scenes, and ONE shirtless back*

People: Yaoibait/fujobait!!!

...Please stop, it's embarrassing and sad.

Moving on, the animation looks slick (as expected of BONES), and it doesn't look like this will be your run-of-the-mill skateboarding show. Looking forward to how Hiroko Utsumi directs this show.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
I think it’s a bit of hasty generalization to say that it’s “dark times for anime” because BONES is making one original series that doesn’t appeal to you. Mob Psycho100 was fantastic and they still make great anime. However I am disappointed that one of their few original shows does appear to just be yaoibait with skateboards. It’s not surprising at all given the director’s history but it’s a bit of a bummer. Generally you can look at the key staff of a production and get some sense of their style and their proclivities as creators so this shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
Seriously? One trailer and you people are already dismissing it as yaoibait? Come on! Don't judge a show before its even aired! You do know BONES animated stuff like Ouran High School Host Club, Angelic Layer, My Hero, Carole and Tuesday, and so on? It's almost like studios and creators are allowed to make whatever the hell they want!
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Bones can throw all the yaoibait they want at me, I'll take it gladly, and enjoy the "but mah waifus" otakus' tears in the process Twisted Evil ladies need fanservice too Wink

Srsly, people are so ridiculous. "Oh no, yaoi subtext anime from a prominent studio it is the end of anime and mankind altogether my manhood is in danger i'm so fragile" Rolling Eyes
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
This looks fun to see. Smile

But patience is a virtue, something that some posters here are not aware of.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:

*BONES is 5 seasons deep into a great adaptation of one of the most popular shounen series of the past decade and produced another adaptation that is arguably the best-animated television series of all time*

"Zomg fujobait they totally sux!"
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Great stuff! The studio making this one is BONES, so definitely the production values for this one will be actually good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2