• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Sega's Yakuza Game Franchise Gets Live-Action Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Second live-action film!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
at least this can't be whitewashed lol
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
It’s going to be hard to bring across the authentic Yakuza experience of dicking around with side activities for about 30 hours.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It’s going to be hard to bring across the authentic Yakuza experience of dicking around with side activities for about 30 hours.

Well, it's hard to even bring Yakuza authentic MAIN PLOT experience without it being a mini-series for 6-8 hours at least, with 4-6 hours of them being dedicated to just close-ups of the actors faces while they talk.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
To be fair if there was a Holywood adaptation of Yakuza, and they did use Caucasian actors, they would probably have the sense to change the location to an American city and just have a few Yakuza, played by Asian Americans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Don't need to whitewash it when they can dub it in english with a voice cast that mostly is not of asian descent.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the old Yakuza movie and I don't even know if it was any good, but I don't think you can capture even a fragment of the beauty that is the Yakuza series.
Also this sounds like it's going to be an american production, at least not Hollywood but I would still not expect anything from it.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

That sounds like a challenge to me.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Don't need to whitewash it when they can dub it in english with a voice cast that mostly is not of asian descent.

Yakuza's American localziation in general seems to have took a huge quality hit ever since 0. Shame
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:

Yakuza's American localziation in general seems to have took a huge quality hit ever since 0. Shame

What? No, not at all. Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, and Judgment all had great translation/localization. SEGA America/Europe are one of the best when it comes to translation and the Yakuza games are easily their shining star. I'm sure Yakuza 7 will be fantastic as well.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Indeed, the localization is consistently excellent and was named by Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi as a key reason for the recent success in the West beginning with Yakuza 0.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
What? No, not at all. Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 6, and Judgment all had great translation/localization. SEGA America/Europe are one of the best when it comes to translation and the Yakuza games are easily their shining star. I'm sure Yakuza 7 will be fantastic as well.

I imagine not everyone is a fan of internet and American pop culture memes being added to a very Japanese property, which started happening around that timeframe as the localization got a lot looser. I also remember the remasters new localization censored quite a bit of the dialog like Akiyama's rape jokes to Hana in 4. The old localization was a lot better from what I've seen of the remasters.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:39 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Its a movie. They can just do that in 30 mins.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I also remember the remasters new localization censored quite a bit of the dialog like Akiyama's rape jokes to Hana in 4.

Let's be honest in the grand scheme of things that was pretty damn messed up line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1