• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha Editor Reveals Top Countries for Manga Plus Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Based on a survey on the app some time ago, there seems to be at least a consideration to offer a paid subscription or some way for readers to access all the chapters. I'm a latecomer for some of their titles, but they've been quite regularly uploading new titles as well so that I've become an earlycomer for some of their titles. Some titles actually have all chapters available too. So I'm thankful for what I can get for free, especially to support the authors, and hopeful there will be a way to read the currently missing in-between chapters in the future.
-SP-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
He speculated whether the popularity of these new serializations on the MANGA Plus service can be attributed not just to the quality of the new Jump+ serializations, but also to the absence of pirated leaks.

Lmfao. of course he had to tack that BS on there despite there being dozens of studies that have shown piracy has ZERO effect on sales.

That's definitely false, because I can tell you that me and a ton of other people would stop pirating if we had better access to Manga/ Anime
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
That's definitely false, because I can tell you that me and a ton of other people would stop pirating if we had better access to Manga/ Anime

I mean, sure, in a perfect world where every series is available in every language with an fully uncensored, amazing translation and all for free there'd be no need for piracy. But that's never going to happen. There's always going to be thousands of titles that go unlicensed.

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a manga equivalent of Crunchyroll yet, where you can just read a bunch of series in their entireity for free. Yeah, for those of us that keep up to date on a specific handful of series the last 4 chapters being free and available is all they technically need, but that does nothing to bring in new fans or people who want to go back and re-read older titles or chapters stuff. And that's still only if we're limiting it to the very narrow pool of popular Jump titles and not the thousands of other works out there.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
-SP- wrote:

I mean, sure, in a perfect world where every series is available in every language with an fully uncensored, amazing translation and all for free there'd be no need for piracy. But that's never going to happen. There's always going to be thousands of titles that go unlicensed.

Which is why they're literally talking about the titles they've licensed.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Tell that to Geneon, Bandai, and Central Park Media, who all shut down in the late 2000s/early 2010s after piracy became easier and more widespread (as it went from hard/slow IRC downloads to moderately-difficult and fast torrent downloads to easy/instant illegal streaming), and sales collapsed. Something tells me those studies looked at more mainstream entertainment, and didn't take into account the uniquely self-serving "stick it to the man, Japanese superfans will keep the industry alive and keep the free stuff coming my way" culture of the anime fandom viewerbase.

Not to sound like pirating anime is some ethical high ground worth defending because I don't think it is ethically defensible, but...

Sure, piracy became easier, but I think you're ignoring other issues. One big one being price. I remember those old releases and their 3-4 episodes per disc sitting on the shelf of a best buy next to mainstream tv series that didn't cost that much more for a season.

I'd also throw out there that the industry is partially to blame for not keeping up with piracy. Where was the legal equivalent of those early pirate streaming sites? No where... because the first big legal streaming site was a pirate streaming site. The fact that you can point to it being "instant" is a problem because those legal discs were not instant. The Internet was a thing, and people on it knew those episodes aired. Spoilers for them were all over. Of course many of them don't want to wait 6 months for a local disc release. You can blame them for not waiting, but I think the companies own part of the blame as well for ignoring the consumers. After all, it is now well proven that people will totally pay for that streaming instead if it is offered.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
1) Gonna need you to site those sources bud because that's a heck of an assertion.

2) He's talking specifically about digital-exclusive series, aka manga that launch first and immediately on the Manga Plus/Jump+ apps, and thus can't be pirated or leaked days before street date. And yeah, it makes perfect sense that series that CAN'T be pirated before they're out on a free legal platform would see bigger readership numbers out of the gate than series where readers can get spoilers days before the magazine is out.
The one I usually hear about is this one: https://cdn.netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/2017/09/displacement_study.pdf
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
When several huge manga scanlators like Jamimi's Box and a couple others stopped translating leaked Jump scans back in early 2020, MangaPlus reader numbers jumped super high. Used to the links to MangaPlus on r/manga barely got a hundred upvotes each with barely any discussion, whereas the leaked chapters posted several days earlier would get thousands of upvotes and tons of discussion. Now the opposite is true when the official Sunday releases come out. So thankfully most of the manga fandom is okay with waiting for Sunday for MangaPlus/Viz release (Friday for holidays), it's just the untranslated My Hero/Chainsaw Man leaks that come out on Wed/Thurs that I really have to make sure to avoid. So yes, pirated manga, especially for the latest chapters, does have an effect on legal clicks.

I'm surprised Brazil did so high in the numbers despite no Portuguese support. Hopefully they plan to expand their languages to include Portuguese and French in the future.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
Some people here is forgetting a minor detail: foreign (that's it, not-Japanese) publishers. Shueisha make a ton of money from international licensing rights. If Shueisha gives readers from other countries all their mangas, for free, forever… Who will pay them to printing them in other languages? It is widely known that Spanish publishing houses are not exactly thrilled with the idea of having their licensed mangas (that are not exactly cheap) given away.
It also says a lot that there are no French, Italian or German editions of MangaPlus -they publish a lot of manga- and that some WSJ mangas are not available in Spanish, but they are in English (or vice versa).

I read the weekly chapters of my favourite series and if it calls my attention, then I'll wait for a local release. "Only" three new chapters available... legally, for free? I can live with that.

-SP- wrote:

Yeah, Rolling Eyes
I've heard that story before. Truth is, nobody stops pirating because there will be never the ideal solution they want: all, for free, forever, instantly.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:18 am Reply with quote
This popular view of spies as elegant assassins always amuses me. The most realistic spy fiction is John Le Carre's books, and there are maybe a half dozen deaths in all those thousands of pages. Spying is mainly about being dull as ditch water, trustworthy, and hard to remember while remembering and noticing everything. George Smiley never even carried a gun. Possibly a pocket knife but only for opening letters and cleaning his nails. James Bond never existed in real life. I wonder if real spies could sell, these days. Stories of spy scandals certainly do, but spies who create scandal are ones who have failed at their job. The best spies are the ones you never know existed.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
-SP- wrote:

I speak Japanese. I don't even need translation - I just want to be not region locked out of content.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:17 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

-SP- wrote:

Yeah, Rolling Eyes
I've heard that story before. Truth is, nobody stops pirating because there will be never the ideal solution they want: all, for free, forever, instantly.

I mean, I think this is a case-by-case basis, some people it really is an accessibility issue- when there was next to no legal way to get anime here, obviously I streamed everything from some skeevy sites, but nowadays I will buy a sub to watch 1 or 2 series or literally wait a week to watch it for free on a legal streaming site if I can't afford the subscription. Only stuff I look up now are things that are definitely not getting licensed any time soon.

I know a lot of people who can definitely afford it and just find some moral high horse excuse to continue pirating though.

On the three chapter thing - isn't this supposed to emulate the format of the actual shounen jump magazines? except better, because you get the last few chapters still. I'd imagine it's to incentivise keeping up with the series vs binging it, so they can gauge how well the currently running series are actually being recieved.

FilthyCasual wrote:

Literally the first thing you see after scrolling down is this study contradicting itself, saying that piracy actually has a massive displacement effect on movies, and this still only addresses mainstream media - stuff that so many people are watching and so many fewer people actually know how to pirate it probably evens out. Only an anime/manga specific study can prove your point.
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
He speculated whether the popularity of these new serializations on the MANGA Plus service can be attributed not just to the quality of the new Jump+ serializations, but also to the absence of pirated leaks.

Lmfao. of course he had to tack that BS on there despite there being dozens of studies that have shown piracy has ZERO effect on sales.

https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/ehcfm5/chart_detailing_the_effect_the_death_of/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:43 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I'm surprised Brazil did so high in the numbers despite no Portuguese support. Hopefully they plan to expand their languages to include Portuguese and French in the future.

Brazil has a sizeable anime fanbase, specially for shonen manga and despite the english speaking population being around 1% (fluent speakers, varies by region), there's sort of a overlap between being an english speaker and reading manga. Besides, I imagine a lot of people read it in spanish.

If they did put the manga in portuguese, I could Brazil jumping a few positions, though.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
-SP- wrote:

Yeah, Rolling Eyes

I can't speak for anyone else, and haven't read any anime-specific studies of the effects of piracy (though it seems neither has anyone else, judging by this thread being filled almost exclusively with speculation), but I personally stopped pirating anime (which I did quite liberally as a young person) once I started pulling down enough of an income (as an adult) to reasonably afford legal streaming services (which happily existed in abundance by the time I had something worth calling a salary).
Q4000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
The English (not sure about Spanish) translations are taken from Viz, that's why they can't publish all chapters in most titles. The ones not licensed by Viz (meaning they provide the translations themselves) all chapters are available. Once Viz decides to license a title, they remove the chapters (e.g SPYxFAMILY). That's what they told me anyway when I asked a year ago about the chapters.
There is an interesting title though: Monster8. Viz licensed the title, but Shueisha decided to provide their own translations, keeping all chapters available.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3