• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Sadly this suffers from the same problem as the other LN the studio EMT Squared covered, Assassins Pride, in that they are completely butchering the source LN by skipping a lot of characterization or altering things for no reason.
andramus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
The idea of starting a series in media res is nothing new but that transition in episode 1 was terrible. Tanya the Evil did something similar but episode 2 of that series cleared up most peoples' confusion.

Still this looks like a reasonably fun relatively mindless isekai. A pleasant series to pass the time with rather than something I'm actively engaged with. About the same level of 8th Son, Are You Kidding Me? for me. Probably a bit above if only because the animation so far is superior.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I had the same problem with the transition that Robert did. Or perhaps that's meant to be a vague point for some reason?

Either way, I enjoyed both episodes otherwise, more than I expected, especially the silliness about how adding bear themes ups the power level. (God is clearly getting her jollies on this.) Not sure it's going to make the cut for my weekly watch list, but I will likely watch more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
"It's here that we run headlong into a directorial choice that negatively affects both this and the following episode. After all the magic-filled fantasy, the episode cuts directly to Yuna taking off her VR goggles, checking her stocks, and chatting with her grandfather in the real world, implying that all that we've seen so far has been Yuna playing a VRMMORPG."

Maybe I watch too much anime, but it was completely, crystal clear and obvious to me that the story was jumping back and forth in time. We got the in-media-res story, then it jumped back to the beginning at the end of the episode, which is roughly where the second episode started. Not sure how you could be confused by this. Also, god themselves confirms she's in another world early in the second episode, she's definitely not just playing a game. She'd already be in medical danger if she had spent the entire second episode in VR without water, as we see her spending too days, one night without logging out. Same for the first, really.
Florete

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Maybe I watch too much anime, but it was completely, crystal clear and obvious to me that the story was jumping back and forth in time. We got the in-media-res story, then it jumped back to the beginning at the end of the episode, which is roughly where the second episode started.

I've read the first volume of the novel, so I knew already how things were supposed to play out, and the first episode confused even me. I don't know what about that could be seen as "crystal clear" considering it's the same kind of transition we see in any other anime where they go in and out of a VR game.

Had you maybe already read the synopsis and already had an idea of what was going on? If not, is there any specific aspect of the first episode you could point out that clued you in?
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I watched Episodes 1 & 2.

Someone has screwed up the progression of how certain events take place. Anime dazed
spoiler[At the end of the first episode, Yuna is clearly in her "Magical Girl" avatar.
When she is re-entering the VRMMO game.
Episode 2 begins with Yuna being offered a random prize, which ends up being the "Bear Set".
This is the first time Yuna sees it, but how can that be?
In the first episode, Yuna is clearly wearing the "Bear Set" when she goes on a quest to save a village from the Black Viper.]

I can't believe that none of the director's caught this story in-continuity before releasing the first episode. Rolling Eyes

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
It was a major mistake by the director with episode one! That whole bit near the end was so poorly done I feel bad for the author of the series. The second episode was much better but felt rushed pacing wise.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
Even if you only watch episode 1, a sharp enough people should notice that at the end of the episode Yuna log in the game with a clearly different avatar character and understand that the whole episode quest isn't happening in the game.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
I can see how is that annoying. Setting up a mistery regarding whether the world is a real isekai or a Game can be fun. Hell, My favorite isekai is not even an isekai, it throws a Lot of hints that its a time travel to the past.
timber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
What makes this show kinda work for the moment is Miki Kawase's voice, Yuna's cool attitude looks spot on, very natural.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
God is clearly getting her jollies on this.

Excuse me.... Her BEAR jollies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While I am sure we can think of ways that Yuna could use earth magic to color the walls of her house, how did she use earth magic to make the mattress and blankets?

Asbestos, obviously. Sand filler.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
While I am sure we can think of ways that Yuna could use earth magic to color the walls of her house, how did she use earth magic to make the mattress and blankets?

Asbestos, obviously. Sand filler.

That or Earth magic extends to plantlife and she created cotton.
arkhangelsk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
• The difference in how Yuna treats Fina versus how she treats Lurina really shows the difference between how she regards friends and acquaintances in her mind.

Frankly, my eyebrow did twitch a little in the Lurina scenes, because I just couldn't help but compare Yuna to Maple from Bofuri, who will also do fantastic feats but probably won't feel the need to be so cocky about it.
Maple actually had to make life choices and chain skills together to get what she wants (I always think Maple's strength is her ability to cobble together skills to form a strong "carddeck").
Yuna basically got her abilities in a single, prepackaged suit. Though her past endeavors qualified her for the suit, her present abilities are completely God-given. I think I will be less cocky about it.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Yuna a bit too much of a jerk? Like, her cockiness and "teasing" get really obnoxious. There are some funny tidbits here and there but I just don't like Yuna. Her attitude sucks, she's another overpowered isekai protaognist by the grace of the gods and the bear theming joke was already spent during the synopsis.
That her power comes 100% from the magic suit gives me hope that it will be turned against her, but on the other hand I mostly expect there to be some kind of spell that prevents anyone form taking it against her will and/or to use it at all.

Also, I really didn't to know that she never changes underwear.

Quote:
Basically, this episode's secondary task is to show us that while Yuna is quite strong, she does have her limits.

Huh. Even if she couldn't one-shoot the boss, I didn't feel any practical limits or vulnerability at all. In the end she still triumphed with minimal effort and taking absolutely no damage or setbacks.
That felt more like trying to make a cool scene rather than delivering exposition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5