• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Developer Delight Works Posts 81% Drop in Profit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
And it will keep dropping because of more developed games like Genshin Impact. D.W.'s waifu card drawing game can only take them so far.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 am Reply with quote
This year is pretty bad in terms of content for FGO JP in my opinion. We only got 1 new story and the rest has been filled with re-runs of old events and the new servants they've been putting out have been not interesting.

So far I think Summer and their game anniversary has been their best.
sirdano1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
Not really surprising given how little content the game has had this year.
phoenix72

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
I've said this other places im going to say it again here. a drop in profit is not the same thing as a drop in revenue. we know for a fact that the revenue of fgo and dw has stay the same throughout this same time period. the reason for the f\drop in profit is because of things like the major failed live events like the tokyo dome ani that had to be canceled and refunded as well as the new game dw has in development all of which did not make returns on said investments.
ronri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:49 am Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:
I've said this other places im going to say it again here. a drop in profit is not the same thing as a drop in revenue. we know for a fact that the revenue of fgo and dw has stay the same throughout this same time period. the reason for the f\drop in profit is because of things like the major failed live events like the tokyo dome ani that had to be canceled and refunded as well as the new game dw has in development all of which did not make returns on said investments.

Pretty much. There were also expensive marketing ventures like "Under the Same Sky" which was notable for being one of the most expensive promotions for a mobile game. Really FGO's low sales have less to do with competition and more to do with DW shooting themselves in the foot.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:31 am Reply with quote
Well, what could I say ?

One of Aniplex / DW biggest failure concerning FGO will always be the lack of worldwide release, especially in Europe, which is totally absurd nowadays for that sort of game. And the QooApp late issue won't help, as many players simply quitted the game without trying other "harsher" way.

Meantime, Europe was overrun (and still is) by other companies' "FGO-like or not" gacha games (which turned the lootboxes pretext for FGO's unrelease into bullshit), and icing on the cake, most of them were translated into multiple languages. These companies managed to understand what DW couldn't : the videogames market is not restricted to the Japan - Asia - NA triad.
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
ronri wrote:

Pretty much. There were also expensive marketing ventures like "Under the Same Sky" which was notable for being one of the most expensive promotions for a mobile game. Really FGO's low sales have less to do with competition and more to do with DW shooting themselves in the foot.

The sales are not low, that's the point. There is drop in profit, but revenue seem to be stable. In another words, they are making similar amount of money, but costs (Profit = Revenue - Costs) are on the rise. Probably because of things like Tokyo Dome and them having another project in the pipeline.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
phoenix7240 wrote:

QFT, not that it ever seems to help.

Some other people would unfortunately rather doompost instead of trying to properly comprehend all the information as well as basic finance. But I guess that's just the sad, dumb world of alternative facts we're stuck in now.
ronri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
The sales are not low, that's the point. There is drop in profit, but revenue seem to be stable. In another words, they are making similar amount of money, but costs (Profit = Revenue - Costs) are on the rise. Probably because of things like Tokyo Dome and them having another project in the pipeline.

Yeah I should've worded that properly but I do get exactly what you mean. It's not that their sales are low, it's that profits have dropped off significantly compared to previous years where it was on a continuous rise. Needless to say COVID played a huge part in all of this including the event cancellation with Tokyo Dome.
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
As someone who plays and whales in NA and keeps in touch with the JP banners, while this year has Servants I want, it doesn't really have anyone who I want badly enough to the point of whaling. And that's really a problem. Every year had at least one or two of those. Be it Jeanne Alter and Illya in 2018, Meltryllis and Ereshkigal last year, BB Summer and Scathach-Skadi this year or Kama, Kingprotea and Reines next year. In that regard, the current year in JP lacks that impact.

Doesn't help either that 2020 in JP seems to be filled with reruns, the main story progression seems to have slowed to a crawl and many fan favorites have disappeared from the story even during events.

I firmly believe that FGO is still going to be popular for many years to come, but they really shouldn't take the current fanbase for granted.
ronri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Saiphaz wrote:
I firmly believe that FGO is still going to be popular for many years to come, but they really shouldn't take the current fanbase for granted.

That's true. Although in fairness, this report came in well before the more recent Summer event and the recent event with Van Gogh so it doesn't account for anything past July. We'll see if things get better next year and if DW will bounce back from this.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
So from what I'm reading in previous comments this huge drop in profits doesn't necessarily mean that the game isn't still raking in microtransactions.

Damn thats a shame I'd really love for something big or drastic to happen to the revenue in order to make DW you know actually improve their terribly dated game.

To be clear I love the story of FGO and I play way too much but the gameplay stuff is so bad. I sincerely hope other mobile games start pulling whales away from FGO so that they're forced to step up their game but I suspect it's too late at this point. The terrible mechanics have been around for too long and if what I hear on the internet is credible FGO was originally planned to have 2 Main Parts so if it starts becoming less profitable I suspect DW will just pull the plug.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
And it will keep dropping because of more developed games like Genshin Impact. D.W.'s waifu card drawing game can only take them so far.

At the end of the day, it's still considered premature to underestimate F/GO's popularity.

In fact, trends related to the game made some waves on Twitter in Japan following the last two livestreams that announced more details about the fifth GudaGuda and Imaginary Scramble events.
Jonesy974

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:39 am Reply with quote
I’m sure it’s a big mix of things.
They spent a ton of money on marketing and events like others have mentioned. Revenue is still fine, but costs have risen.

That’s not to say revenue probably hasn’t taken a hit either. Between FGOs lack luster content in JP this year, plus people having significantly less money to spend this year due to the Covid shit. I’m sure revenue is down even if it’s still doing well. Let’s also not forget there’s been plenty of new gacha game competition vying for people’s money as wel.

But you know the game isn’t in jeopardy when they just held a big ass press event a week or so ago and said the game is going so strong that it’ll be around for at least it’s 10th anniversary. That’s not a statement a company would make if the game was about to crumble.
Chrizy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The sales will drop no matter how popular it had bee. The game had been stale for a while, with no renovation that would lure the players back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2