• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hidekaz Himaruya's New Manga to Focus on Prime Ministers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:18 am Reply with quote
I was a die-hard Hetalia fan back in my livejournal days, and I remember being such a big Stan for Himaruya in particular (If my Chibi-san Date icon didn't give it away lol).

That said: I'll probably be skipping over this one for personal reasons.

Even if it's still too soon to say whether his new work will be controversial, or if it will 'gloss over' the gross parts of history or not...

...Now that I'm older and know more about the geo-political climate than I did 10 years ago--

I have a harder time hand-waving the more "problematic" aspects of Himaruya's work.

Not judging a series before more info is out, just a little disappointed that he didn't go in a completely different direction for a new series.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:59 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
I was a die-hard Hetalia fan back in my livejournal days, and I remember being such a big Stan for Himaruya in particular (If my Chibi-san Date icon didn't give it away lol).

Even if it's still too soon to say whether his new work will be controversial, or if it will 'gloss over' the gross parts of history or not...

...Now that I'm older and know more about the geo-political climate than I did 10 years ago--

I have a harder time hand-waving the more "problematic" aspects of Himaruya's work.

Not judging a series before more info is out, just a little disappointed that he didn't go in a completely different direction for a new series.

big same.

himaruya seems very creatively uninspired nowadays. ( i don't know why hetalia is still ongoing (except for lucrative merchandising purposes, i guess?) and his next project is the same thing as hetalia, but with political figures instead of nations? come on dude, you're a published artist with ties to one of japan's biggest comic publishers, you could come up with something better than this. :/
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
Is it just all the PMs Japan has ever had? Because I gotta say that that article title got me excited... wouldn't I love to see a manga poking fun at a certain man who really wouldn't look too different as an anime ~bishie~ (can't believe I'm saying bishie in 2020)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:21 am Reply with quote
Yes, Minister didn’t really need a manga adaptation, did it? Razz
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:

Also @Vee-Tee: I thought I was the only one thinking the same thing. Once we go back to "normal," I'm gonna unload all my Hetalia stuff on FB. I've been done with it for years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1