• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Debuts One Piece TV Series on Blu-ray Disc With Season 11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Has One Piece even got blu-rays in Japan yet? Anyway if Funi is going to do this, then they really should start at the beginning again.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
that's weird since there's only 1 super long season. and what's the source? I can't find any JP BD
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. HD eps started back at 208 if a quick search is correct, so I wonder if they're going to go back and re-release those episodes on BD.

I really loved the 3 amazon treasure box sets they put out, so it'd be nice to see that come back with blurays.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:08 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
that's weird since there's only 1 super long season. and what's the source? I can't find any JP BD

It's an upscale. Funimation has done a lot of them in the past where they attempt to make their own BD upscales for shows that aren't on BD in Japan to very mixed results.
so751

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Has One Piece even got blu-rays in Japan yet? Anyway if Funi is going to do this, then they really should start at the beginning again.

They've had Blu-ray releases since the Punk Hazard arc, but it's usually 4 episodes per Blu-ray release, so you can imagine some arcs can rack up quite the number of Blu-rays. For example, the Dressrosa arc had 30 Blu-ray parts to it. But it's about time we got Blu-ray releases of the One Piece TV anime in North America.
Here's a link to the BD releases in Japan of the Wano arc right now - https://avex.jp/onepiece/products/list.php?artist_cd=OPRXX

They've also just announced "Blu-ray" releases of the older arcs in Japan, with the East Blue arc releasing in January 2021. I put Blu-ray in quotations because the episodes are on a Blu-ray disc, but they are in Standard Definition.
https://avex.jp/onepiece/products/detail.php?id=1017797&artist_cd=OPETL
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
so751 wrote:

They've also just announced "Blu-ray" releases of the older arcs in Japan, with the East Blue arc releasing in January 2021. I put Blu-ray in quotations because the episodes are on a Blu-ray disc, but they are in Standard Definition.
https://avex.jp/onepiece/products/detail.php?id=1017797&artist_cd=OPETL

Looks like those eps are remastered though, so hopefully it turns out well and we get them here. I'd double dip for One Piece =)
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:56 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Has One Piece even got blu-rays in Japan yet?

Japan didn't start releasing Blu-rays of the episodes until 2013, first with the Strong World (426-429)* and Film Z (575-578) filler episodes in special volumes, then with Punk Hazard (579-629) onwards starting in 2014.

* - Previously released on DVD in 2010 so the Blu-ray is the same as that but in HD.

I question why FUNimation didn't jump on this for their season 10 sets since there are BDs for all of it plus starting with Dressrosa will be a real challenge because I heard that arc was a real slog to get through and with FUNi sticking with 13 episode sets here, we're looking at 9 sets for this one.

Quote:
Anyway if Funi is going to do this, then they really should start at the beginning again.

Not FUNi's call, from what I had read from other fans, Toei is super-protective of this show as far as reverse importation issues are concerned and won't allow what never got released on the format in Japan (though again, why did they not allow.FUNi to release the Film Z & Punk Hazard arcs on Blu-ray).

With that said, Japan is starting to work on the beginning of the series now with the Eternal Log Blu-ray sets covering East Blue (1-61) & Alabasta (62-130) coming in January & July.....except two problems, the episodes are cropped in 16:9 (presumably from the old 2012 Special Edition broadcast masters that are also streaming on Crunchyroll & Netflix) and in 480i SD (odd because said Special Editions were upscaled HD).

Comparison: https://twitter.com/onepiece_DVD/status/1318438734971371520
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:05 am Reply with quote
If One Piece had started on cels, they would be able to go back and re-release the early episodes in native HD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
^Not really, all of Toei's cel TV shows on Blu-ray have been either FORS upscales or in 480i SD so it wouldn't have mattered.

The only exceptions to this where they did proper HD remasters were Mazinger Z & the original Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken because those two were done on 35mm film while the others were 16mm.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^Not really, all of Toei's cel TV shows on Blu-ray have been either FORS upscales or in 480i SD so it wouldn't have mattered.

The only exceptions to this where they did proper HD remasters were Mazinger Z & the original Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken because those two were done on 35mm film while the others were 16mm.
I'm sure in 99 they would have used 35mm film.The first movie was on cels, and that had a 35mm print.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

With that said, Japan is starting to work on the beginning of the series now with the Eternal Log Blu-ray sets covering East Blue (1-61) & Alabasta (62-130) coming in January & July.....except two problems, the episodes are cropped in 16:9 (presumably from the old 2012 Special Edition broadcast masters that are also streaming on Crunchyroll & Netflix) and in 480i SD (odd because said Special Editions were upscaled HD).

Comparison: https://twitter.com/onepiece_DVD/status/1318438734971371520

Oof, well that's a no from me then. Guess I'll have to be careful about any US BR releases of the first 206 -_-

Hopefully at some point we get a SD on BR release with the original 4:3.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
FUNi should release the SD episodes on SDBD. It would take up a LOT less space, because they'd be able to do around 50 episodes per disc. Any HD upscale for SD digipaint material that old is bound to be hideous anyway. The HD episodes (I believe starting episode 207) should be presented in 1080p though.

Regardless, I'm not resuming collecting this show until they do more MASSIVE boxsets of 100+ episodes per set. I don't even care if it's DVD-only. Even the 26 episode collections are too much at this point.

NJ_ wrote:

From what I've heard, some of Dragon Ball Z was also 35mm, around the Frieza episodes, before switching back to 16mm.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:03 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
FUNi should release the SD episodes on SDBD. It would take up a LOT less space, because they'd be able to do around 50 episodes per disc. Any HD upscale for SD digipaint material that old is bound to be hideous anyway. The HD episodes (I believe starting episode 207) should be presented in 1080p though.

FUNi should but they have yet to jump on the format and have missed many opportunities to do so when Japan has already released SDBDs for some shows they have like Mach GoGoGo Restart (DVD-only in that LE Speed Racer head), Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo and some of the old 2000s Gonzo shows have been getting some recently.

Quote:
From what I've heard, some of Dragon Ball Z was also 35mm, around the Frieza episodes, before switching back to 16mm.

I heard that too, apparently it was episodes 73-80.

EDIT:

OOOF, on the topic of SD Blu-ray, apparently Toei's re-releasing season 1 of World Trigger on the format so Native HD shows aren't safe.

https://www.toei-video.co.jp/special/worldtrigger-ikkyo/

Previously released in 20 HD volumes, now it's coming in 3 SD volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1