• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GameStop to Close 700 Stores This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I know they've made a lot of bad decisions, but I gotta admit, I'm kinda sad this is happening. GameStop has always been my go-to place for games and the occasional figurine and plush doll for decades. There's even one in my local area, and I always had good experiences in the stores I went to. I'm gonna miss GameStop.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
While I'm indifferent on the situation, all I ever hear is bad things about GameStop's business practices. I haven't set foot in a GameStop to purchase anything in probably 15-20 years. They're literally just clinging on for as long as they can. I mean why else would they even bother when it's been a known fact for quite some time now that the need for a dedicated video game store isn't really needed with places like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart? If it weren't for them just trying to milk that final train ride for everything they can get out of it, they should just admit defeat and leave the market to the companies that are obviously doing their job much better than they're ever going to be able to do it. All you ever hear about GameStop anymore is how they're struggling to remain afloat as a business. In that sense, they're just embarrassing themselves.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised by this. Even before the pandemic, the last time I went into a GameStop half the store was dedicated to general geek merchandise rather than video games. I suppose GameStop is childhood to a younger generation, but for me it was places like Software Etc and FuncoLand that hold my memories. When Gamestop took them over and became the monopoly in the 2000s it just wasn't the same, especially in regards to retro gaming. Can't say I'm really beaten up over this news, I stopped going there ages ago.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I'm honestly surprised.

If I want a new game, Walmart tends to be $10 cheaper on new releases, and of course, there's the vast internet for slightly older games.

If I want an older game, there's some classic video game stores that are small businesses that I'd rather support. They also don't charge the same amount for games with and without the case and understand that yes, I want the damn case.

If I want to sell a game, I can either go to said classic game store, use Lukie Games online, or just use reddit or facebook marketplace, or ebay and get way more money.

And if, for some godforsaken reason, I want some of the random merchandise.... actually, I just don't. I can't honestly finish that thought all the way through.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised, there was one not too far away from my house in a small shopping center that closed recently... I don't think it got much business to be honest at there's also another in a better shopping center a couple miles away... So yeah...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:35 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
While I'm indifferent on the situation, all I ever hear is bad things about GameStop's business practices. I haven't set foot in a GameStop to purchase anything in probably 15-20 years. They're literally just clinging on for as long as they can. I mean why else would they even bother when it's been a known fact for quite some time now that the need for a dedicated video game store isn't really needed with places like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart?

Well in the interest of fairness not everyone lives in walking distance of a Best Buy or Walmart and not everyone buys from Amazon. So it was nice to have options especially when it comes to buying stuff that at least Walmart and Best Buy didn’t/don’t have like a good used game selection Wink
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I bought my PS4Pro there a few years ago, but otherwise, yeah, didn’t really buy anything from them aside from some really old games I couldn’t find for cheaper. But really, this just makes me feel bad for all the employees that suffered under GameStop’s scummy practices only to be kicked to the curb at long last. Sad
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm going to miss is buying anime T-Shirts there, but I can always go on Hot Topic's website for that now.

I used to buy everything there until I got my debit card then I started buying online from Amazon and directly from the PS4 store. I think the last thing I truly bought video game wise was the Switch game called Penny Pincher Princess or something like that. Not a bad game, but I should've gotten the Mana trilogy it would've been more worth the $25 since it was on sale. That is the only thing I hate about the Switch crappy data cards cause I think they only go up to 64GB and so it pretty much forces you to buy Physical game to save on space. Only time I like to buy Physical games is if it is an English subtitled import like Super Robot Wars or Japanese only.

Gamestop is terrible from the stories I watched off this one youtube channel so not a single crap is given that more stores are closing down the Employees can find better I mean even in my small town where there was a Game Stop there, but there was also more retail and fast food stores to choose from so I'm sure that all the employees loosing their jobs will be able to find new ones soon.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
While I'm indifferent on the situation, all I ever hear is bad things about GameStop's business practices. I haven't set foot in a GameStop to purchase anything in probably 15-20 years. They're literally just clinging on for as long as they can. I mean why else would they even bother when it's been a known fact for quite some time now that the need for a dedicated video game store isn't really needed with places like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart? If it weren't for them just trying to milk that final train ride for everything they can get out of it, they should just admit defeat and leave the market to the companies that are obviously doing their job much better than they're ever going to be able to do it. All you ever hear about GameStop anymore is how they're struggling to remain afloat as a business. In that sense, they're just embarrassing themselves.

It's fair question. Every move seems to only be an effort to delay the inevitable. At some point I would have to wonder what the point was.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
I miss going to the store on my way home from work. Then they closed that store and I asked if they'd move my reservations to the store close to home. Nope. That one was closing too. So they sent my reservations out to the boonies, farther away from home and work. But they closed that one months later. And the store that had my reservations also was out of the way. Tonight I went to pick up my last reservation and canceled the last 2 reservations I had with them. Didn't even ask me why. They stopped calling me and when I picked up Age of Calamity they told me that my reservations for the guardian amiibos couldn't be met because "the shipment was late in arriving." I felt that it was a BS excuse and they had sold me reserves to somebody else. I was already mad. Not getting phone calls for other reservations sealed the deal for me. I'll finish paying off their credit card and close it. I'm done with GameStop.
Jason Ryer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I miss going to the store on my way home from work. Then they closed that store and I asked if they'd move my reservations to the store close to home. Nope. That one was closing too. So they sent my reservations out to the boonies, farther away from home and work. But they closed that one months later. And the store that had my reservations also was out of the way. Tonight I went to pick up my last reservation and canceled the last 2 reservations I had with them. Didn't even ask me why. They stopped calling me and when I picked up Age of Calamity they told me that my reservations for the guardian amiibos couldn't be met because "the shipment was late in arriving." I felt that it was a BS excuse and they had sold me reserves to somebody else. I was already mad. Not getting phone calls for other reservations sealed the deal for me. I'll finish paying off their credit card and close it. I'm done with GameStop.

I feel ya. That being said GS is a trash place to work and this shoulda been done a while back. You make MIN wage for less than 20 hours a week if your store does poorly. Hours are driven by the preorder system and all that bs. The ROC(GS refurb) is much worse amazon pays more than they do by 4 bucks. The job in 5 years has only went up a dollar for a warehouse job.

Working there I learned why you dont order refurb, cause the xboxs and playstations fall on the cpu fan side on concrete, and we are still told to send em out since nothing has fallen out of em.

The stupidest thing of all is whom ever approved below should be fired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds0SyJuVN48

GS is a shell of itself and of the times we live in oddly.
TexZero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
I hope whoever buys the store location has the audicity to offer them 2$ and Store Credits since it's been used.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:21 am Reply with quote
Since I am a physical retail store kind of shopper and Gamestop is mostly the only one who carries Anime-style videogames in a physical retail store, this is really disappointing news. Not really into buying online on Amazon and don’t want a digital version of the game if I can get it physically.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:38 am Reply with quote
The new consoles launch should help them in the near term
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
While I'm indifferent on the situation, all I ever hear is bad things about GameStop's business practices. I haven't set foot in a GameStop to purchase anything in probably 15-20 years.

Same here. I honestly don't see the point. If you want new games there are countless other options, many of which are cheaper. If you want to sell your games then places like like Ebay will give you more money. And if you want older or used games the internet has far better selection and prices than GameStop does. GameStop had its day before the internet was was big a deal as it is today but now they just seem outdated. And the fact that more and more games are going to online-only distribution only makes their future seem even more bleak.

I'm not even sure that they will get much of a boost from the new console generation given that Sony has already announced they are prioritizing mail-order vendors over brick-and-mortar ones for PS5 deliveries due to COVID.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2