• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akane Shimizu's Cells at Work! Manga Ends in January

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The original manga has inspired various spinoffs, including Shigemitsu Harada and Issei Hatsuyoshiya's Cells at Work! Code Black (Hataraku Saibō Black)

To think the spin-off will be longer at 8 volumes while this one will only be 6...
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, it seems now I have a reason to start reading it now! Still, kinda ballsy for the authoress to have the final chapter tackle COVID of all things. I don't know how well that'll go for audiences, but hey, I'm all for it! I personally love it when anime and manga get topical!
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cells at Work has always been focused on how the human body responds to infection/disease so I’m not surprised that COVID19 would also be addressed, especially when scientist have been able to learn quite a few things about the virus and the disease it causes. Given that one of the causes of severe COVID19 disease is problems with the body’s immune response, I wonder if we’ll see White Blood Cell go haywire along with the other immune cells and attack Red Blood Cell and other cell types...that would certainly make for a nice bit of drama for the story to close out on, given how friendly these two have grown to be over the past volumes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Can't think of something more relevant for the series to close out on than Covid.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Hope it's a happy end...!
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope it wouldn't be insensitive to all the people who've lost someone this year to COVID. Then again, Shimizu-san handle cancer well enough...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1