• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Blood-Soaked World of Onyx Equinox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the world needs more dubtitles.
Black_Kenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that there's other people out there that also like the show. At least on Instagram, a lot of the voices there were talking about how they dropped the show just a few minutes in (admittedly, the first episode is a bit on the rough side) or dismissed it as another "Avatar" because of the art style (which I thought was good, in my opinion). I also haven't heard many people talk about it too, so I'm wondering how well this show is actually doing.

I pretty much agree with all the points given in the article. It starts off a little rough in the beginning, but it gets better with each episode as the world and character dynamics are built. By the end, I'm starving for a season 2...as long as I get more angry kitty Yaotl and Me'ke.
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that here aren't as many twink jokes in this.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show as well. It had its share of flaws, but it was an enjoyable journey. I especially liked the "OP".

WAY too much cursing, as you said, and an unnecessary amount of nudity. So much so I felt like it was trying to copy Castlevania and it was REALLY distracting and took me out of the show. The art style just doesn't meld well with that type of maturity. This applied to the gore as well, but that was a little less distracting.

I am not sure if it will get another season, but I will watch it if it does.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
I liked the show as well. It had its share of flaws, but it was an enjoyable journey. I especially liked the "OP".

WAY too much cursing, as you said, and an unnecessary amount of nudity. So much so I felt like it was trying to copy Castlevania and it was REALLY distracting and took me out of the show. The art style just doesn't meld well with that type of maturity. This applied to the gore as well, but that was a little less distracting.

While I don't know about the nudity but the cursing I agree with. Seriously, it is an Aztec-type setting. It is not the place to using the F-word multiple times. Now, were it a Wild West show, sure.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the most utterly confused shows I’ve ever seen, the equivalent of an Avatar fanfic that throws in sex and hardcore violence because the 16 year old author doesn’t know how else to express maturity. Do you want your adult sacrifices and sex or cute animals and magic balls? Pick a tone.

This is why the CR Originals have such a poor reputation.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:

If the options were excessive nudity and gore and lack of any hint of them, I'd probably pick the former. As much as everyone compares this to Avatar, Avatar's huge problem was it was a show about war where no one dies (on screen) or there was any real stakes because of it. Call Onyx Equinox excessive if one wishes, but at least when they do a ritual sacrifice the girl gets stabbed and she actually bleeds and then dies. She doesn't glow and then a flash of light happens and then they turns into a fish or something.

Granted, I lost interest in the show after a few episodes since the story and setting wasn't really my thing, but if more western animation continues to expand and allow projects like this to exist, then I only see it as good. It's only a matter of time until we get a home run out of them. Sure, some of these works act like a kid who just got told he can swear as much as he wants so he does it all the time to sound mature and cool, but the alternative where none of this stuff is allowed is worse, so I don't mind it much. It's refreshing, if nothing else.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
anime-prime wrote:

If the options were excessive nudity and gore and lack of any hint of them, I'd probably pick the former. As much as everyone compares this to Avatar, Avatar's huge problem was it was a show about war where no one dies (on screen) or there was any real stakes because of it. Call Onyx Equinox excessive if one wishes, but at least when they do a ritual sacrifice the girl gets stabbed and she actually bleeds and then dies. She doesn't glow and then a flash of light happens and then they turns into a fish or something.

Granted, I lost interest in the show after a few episodes since the story and setting wasn't really my thing, but if more western animation continues to expand and allow projects like this to exist, then I only see it as good. It's only a matter of time until we get a home run out of them. Sure, some of these works act like a kid who just got told he can swear as much as he wants so he does it all the time to sound mature and cool, but the alternative where none of this stuff is allowed is worse, so I don't mind it much. It's refreshing, if nothing else.

Uhhhhh so your talking about the "huge problem" of a show despite only watching a couple episodes and said problem involves stuff like gore and death......

Hmmh kay sure, you do you.
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
The voice acting in this show was bottom tier. The pacing was awful. The only time they managed to get it right was in the episode in the village across the river. The fight scenes were terribly animated by the last episode, missing tons of frames and looking like a slideshow. The only good thing in this cartoon was the ending song. Another failure for Crunchyroll Originals.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:01 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I agree, the world needs more dubtitles.

Same here, especially since English is not my native language, so I don't always get spoken words and subtitles help with that. Plenty of people in the Crunchyroll reviews also complained about it, and it sucks for deaf/hard of hearing folks too, so I wonder how no one in the Crunchyroll management thought that. They already have the script, all it needs is conversion to subtitle form.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
The voice acting in this show was bottom tier. The pacing was awful. The only time they managed to get it right was in the episode in the village across the river. The fight scenes were terribly animated by the last episode, missing tons of frames and looking like a slideshow. The only good thing in this cartoon was the ending song. Another failure for Crunchyroll Originals.

From what I understand, the Spanish dub is much better, and they took the time to dub the show into indigenous languages.

Which is all well and good except the English dub, the main dub, suffered.

As for the CR Originals, I’m pretty sure Sony is going to trash most, if not all of them when CR is inevitably restructured as part of FUNimation. The production committee work is one thing but the Originals line has, AT BEST, produced shows of average quality.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Uhhhhh so your talking about the "huge problem" of a show despite only watching a couple episodes and said problem involves stuff like gore and death......

Just to clarify, I meant I dropped OE after a few episodes. I saw Avatar in its entirety back when it aired on TV.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first 3 episodes after seeing this and so far plan to keep watching, but it does feel off. From the intro (minus the one bit of blood), to the writing and characters, it seems like this show doesn't have a clear audience, but was primarily intended for a younger one.

I wonder if it was originally conceived and shopped around to networks like Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as a young adult show, but then when Crunchyroll picked it up, they decided to up/add in the sex and violence to make it more appealing to an older audience.

Still, I appreciate the uncommon setting and mythology it presents.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:31 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
Scion Drake wrote:

Just to clarify, I meant I dropped OE after a few episodes. I saw Avatar in its entirety back when it aired on TV.

Okay my sincerest apologies, I misunderstood you there.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Do you want your adult sacrifices and sex or cute animals and magic balls? Pick a tone.

This is why the CR Originals have such a poor reputation.

This is anime, you can have it all.

"This Week in Anime" actually got me interested in this series. So I will definitely watch it. Especially with its strong mythological base. Love the Norse, Greco/Roman, and Egyptian mythos already.

Higurashi When They Cry had bloody murder and cute stuff too, so axe murdering school girls don't bother me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2