• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer, Earwig & the Witch, Lupin III, On-Gaku, Ride Your Wave, A Whisker Away Submi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuma991

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The audacity.
Twilight was popular as well but did they pretend it was worth a dime?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Lupin III: The First isn't even in my top 10 Lupin features, let alone Oscar-worthy. Maybe for the CG effects, but overall? Pretty average.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
For the record: Wolfwalkers should absolutely win.

However, as this is actually the Disney/Pixar award, the safe money is on Soul (which I'll admit, I have yet to see, but I do like the director. I just think Wolfwalkers is spectacular though and needs more love)
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Expecting an anime movie to win nowadays is just wishful thinking. Disney is the real-life Buy-N-Large, trying to buy everything and own us.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Normally I'd stand by an anime, but Wolfwalkers is so damn good. The only one of these I've seen is Lupin, which was good, but...man, not as good as Wolfwalkers. Please watch Wolfwalkers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think I remember hearing one of the voters one year voting on behalf of their kid which is not how it should work. Should go to Wolfwalkers but we all know it will go to ether Soul or *deep sigh* Spongebob.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Really surprised so many movies that didn't even release in 2020 are getting considered. Spongebob still is not legally released in the US until its VOD and Paramount subscription premiere in February (though I know it is in Canadian theaters and some countries have it on Netflix, but I thought this was for US releases. Also Earwig won't release till early February.

And we don't even have a theatrical release date for Demon Slayer. How the hell would that be considered?

(For the record though, I totally hope Wolfwalkers wins, though Soul was amazing too so I personally wouldn't be disappointed with it getting the award. But Wolfwalkers blew my mind.)

Last edited by LegitPancake on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Other people have said this already, but it would be great if Wolfwalkers won, since it was easily the best animated movie I saw in 2020. I've followed Cartoon Saloon's films for a while and they deserve an Oscar already.

Though I admit that the only anime movie I've seen from that list is Lupin III...and while I enjoyed it, the story seemed pretty standard as far as Lupin movies go.
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Really surprised so many movies that didn't even release in 2020 are getting considered. Spongebob still is not legally released in the US until its VOD and Paramount subscription premiere in February (though I know it is in Canadian theaters and some countries have it on Netflix, but I thought this was for US releases. Also Earwig won't release till early February.

And we don't even have a theatrical release date for Demon Slayer. How the hell would that be considered?

The Academy removed the requirement of an animated film being released theatrically in the calendar year preceding the awards in 2019. Also, due to COVID, they allowed eligibility for films with an initial theatrical release outside the US, as well as those released on VOD or streaming (provided they were made available to the Academy within 60 days of initial release).
Besides, the deadline is by the end of February, so if they still plan to hold at least a seven-day theatrical run in LA County, they still have at most a month and a half to comply.

Also, also. I agree with Wolfwalkers.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that these are just submissions, nothing has been nominated yet.

Due to the theatres being closed for so much of 2020 and still closed in 2021 in Ontario for the duration of the lockdown and also due to my having no subscriptions to any paid streaming services, I have seen precisely one single film from 2020 and that was New Mutants (since I enjoyed the comics in the 1980s) and I have a hunch that that's not going to be nominated for anything. Neither of the trailers for last year's Pixar movies really captured my fancy but Wolfwalkers does look pretty and it's been a while since any 2D animated film won so maybe I'll be rooting for it sight unseen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1