• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! Novel 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Yes it was a more interesting novel for the reasons stated. Though I did like the dark magic angle that the previous two novels brought out.

Also, while I understand the need for romance dramas to bring in new possible love interests, I hope this thing with Cezar goes nowhere.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't understand why people think that LN-exclusive arcs are worse than the ones that ended with WN. As if it would be better if the story continued forever as a comedic SoL.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
To be honest, I don't understand why people think that LN-exclusive arcs are worse than the ones that ended with WN.

I think it's probably similar to when people are upset with the way a movie (or anime series) adapts a book they love - it feels like it's warping a story they loved.

In the case of this series, I really like that the story is continuing and trying new plots - it doesn't have to be all SOL rom-com all the time, and as TarsTarkas said, the dark magic angle is good. I just didn't love it when the author thought that a totally new cast was necessary to advancing the plot, because that felt like trying to change everything instead of keeping what worked while still expanding the scope of the story.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:
To be honest, I don't understand why people think that LN-exclusive arcs are worse than the ones that ended with WN.

I think it's probably similar to when people are upset with the way a movie (or anime series) adapts a book they love - it feels like it's warping a story they loved.

In the case of this series, I really like that the story is continuing and trying new plots - it doesn't have to be all SOL rom-com all the time, and as TarsTarkas said, the dark magic angle is good. I just didn't love it when the author thought that a totally new cast was necessary to advancing the plot, because that felt like trying to change everything instead of keeping what worked while still expanding the scope of the story.

Makes sense. For example, in the prisoner arc, we literally see the main cast in only one short chapter and a little at the end. Perhaps the author thought they were overusing the quirks of the original characters, so they needed to increase their cast.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

Makes sense. For example, in the prisoner arc, we literally see the main cast in only one short chapter and a little at the end. Perhaps the author thought they were overusing the quirks of the original characters, so they needed to increase their cast.

I'd buy that, and it's certainly a pit plenty of authors, LN or otherwise, fall into during a long series. My go-to example of it is Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, where after about book seven everything was just a rehash of character quirks; I stopped reading at about book 23 (way too long, but I was hopeful) and I think it's near to thirty now.

I am glad the author came up with a way to bring the original cast back, though, and making everyone else act more grown up works with really showing us how Katarina's from a very different world even without her being flaky.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1