• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Sells 79.87 Million Units, Surpasses 3DS Lifetime Sales

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Amazing
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The Switch won't slow down this year. Covid vaccines are going out at a snails pace, many countries will be affected by it for years to come. The Switch fits well into the stay at home crowd because of its form factor as well as its software embracing that functionality. Nintendo, against all odds, not being able to travel into the past or future, got struck by lightening at 88mph in a DeLorean.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's looking to surpass the Wii by the end of the year and has no signs of losing momentum. Monster Hunter Rise is definitely going to boost it
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I predict the Switch will keep showing great sales figures as the year goes on.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:53 pm Reply with quote
With numbers like this I don't think Nintendo is worried about making a successor to the Switch or an upgrade just yet, maybe in less than two years they can manage to sell 100 million consoles.
But the thing that intrigues me is that despite the Switch's popularity it seems that very few third party developers are treating it seriously, with some exceptions like Monster Hunter Rise and Momotaro Dentetsu in Japan, and Mortal Kombat 11 and ports like Doom Eternal in the West, the Switch has less third party support compared to the Nintendo DS, 3DS and even the Wii. I know that some big companies are focusing on the new generation consoles and developing games in HD is more complicated, unlike how it was for the 3DS, but companies like Namco and SEGA are not doing a good job compared with others like Capcom and Konami.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:32 am Reply with quote
This article on Ars Technica puts those Animal Crossing sales in perspective. It's a true phenomenon.

Silver Kirin wrote:
companies like Namco and SEGA are not doing a good job compared with others like Capcom and Konami.

Those companies' support of Nintendo have been like that during previous console generations as well. Sega is a little better this time is thanks to their acquisition of Atlus, which has had decent support of Nintendo systems in the past. Anyway, I can't see that overall situation changing quickly.

On the flip side, the Switch has proved to be an amazing home for B-tier and indie games, and even has some interesting exclusives in those catetories.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I think Sega and Namco are doing fine with their support of the Switch. I'm not expecting AAA titles like Yakuza, Soul Calibur and Tekken to make it on the Switch for a number of reasons, the main one being that development of AAA titles is very expensive for those developers.

So aside from the lack of AAA titles, there are plenty of good titles from Bandai Namco, and Sega on the Switch, like Sonic, Tales of, God Eater, Taiko no Tatsuji, Miku, etc etc.

So we get a lot of good smaller scope titles which I think is appropriate given what the Switch is marketing itself as.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A lot of it is because the Switch caught everyone with their pants down. They bet on Sony and MS' power-centric so when Nintendo came around with a portable console that genuinely blew up it really caught them off guard. It's why you suddenly saw people scrambling to port stuff to it or have to twist themselves into pretzels to justify not developing for it despite the profit potential.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
And yet, I still haven't been able to get my hand on one. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1