• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon Anime Dub Casts Ian James Corlett as Miroku

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I wish him the best of luck. He's got some hefty sandals to fill.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
He's got a good range of voices, many of which are memorable to me growing up(Just like Kirby). It'll be different for sure, but I think he can do justice to the role. I wish him luck.
TheTJ87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:09 am Reply with quote
Full circle as Kirby did take over Ian's roll of Goku in Ocean's Dragon ball dub. Haven't seen Ian in anime in quite some time I can think of but always liked his work
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
For those who don't check Twitter, they posted more after that announcement.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230859417710594
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230899821371392
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1359230935338729476

Quote:
Official Comment from Ian James Corlett,

"Like all of us, we were deeply saddened by the untimely death of our colleague Kirby Morrow. My history with Kirby is long. I’m proud to say that in the early days of his career I was one of the first producers to hire him as a voice actor in the role of “Tommy” in the series I co-created, YVON OF THE YUKON. Then, years later after I decided to leave the Dragonball Z anime family, Kirby was one of my successors voicing the role of Goku. Life has a way of coming full circle and now I’m proud and honored to carry on Kirby’s role of Miroku in the Yashahime franchise."
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
It's a tragedy what happened with Kirby Morrow, but I feel like Ian will do his best to honor his legacy as Miroku.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
It's nice that they got one of his Canadian co-workers as a replacement. This is the first anime for Corlett in ages as well.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
We all knew that this was coming after Kirby Morrow's sudden passing and it feels rather fitting that for Bang Zoom, rather than have one of their regulars take over, they let the Canadians decide about which one from their talent pool would be fitting to fill in for Morrow's shoes and for that, it's earned respect.

I wish Mr. Corlett the best of luck of filling in for Morrow because it may not have been easy to step up in a situation like this but as they say, the show must go on. It's been a long time since Ian had been involved in dubbing anime and judging by how his history with Kirby was in the past, it definitely feels like it had come full circle for him.

It still hurts knowing that Morrow is no longer with us.

Crying or Very sad
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I've been out of the anime news loop for so long I didn't even know Kirby Morrow passed. That's heartbreaking to hear, as I was just talking about the character with my bf this morning. Kirby was Miroku to me because I watched the dub preferentially over the sub. I hope the new voice actor does him justice.
xstylus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
We all knew that this was coming after Kirby Morrow's sudden passing and it feels rather fitting that for Bang Zoom, rather than have one of their regulars take over, they let the Canadians decide about which one from their talent pool would be fitting to fill in for Morrow's shoes and for that, it's earned respect.

The folks at Bang Zoom are fans too. Let's just say a fan familiar with the legacies Ian and Kirby share brought him to casting director Mami Okada's attention. Though it was a longshot since he'd long moved on from anime, she reached out to offer an audition. Faith and fate did the rest.

https://twitter.com/XStylus/status/1359247631919140866
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 am Reply with quote
I just hope they don’t voice over the episodes Kirby already did. Even though it’ll be weird to hear a different voice when rewatching it’ll be a nice gesture to honor Kirby in his last role.
WhiteOrochi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
This was unexpected. The funny thing is that Kirby replaced Ian in the role of Dr. Tofu in Season 6 of Ranma 1/2 and Kirby became the third voice of Goku in the Canadian dub of DBZ when Ian and Peter Kelamis stepped down. This will be Ian's first anime-related role in twenty years, so I pray he'll get back in the saddle relatively quickly. Funny how things like this can come full circle in ways you'd never expect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1