• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daft Punk Electronic Music Duo Break Up After 28 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 am Reply with quote
End of an era. I hope they left on good terms. I was introduced to them via those Toonami midnight runs of said anime. Just wished there was a proper Blu-ray so I can finally watch past the first 4 parts. I'd imagine it would be extremely expensive to license from WB or whoever owns the music.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:22 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they still continue to create amazing music on their own terms. Discovery/Interstellar 555 is legendary, and always puts me in a funky mood.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 am Reply with quote
Was saddened by this news when it hit yesterday, but at the same time, it feels like the right moment for it. Best for them to go out on a high note, and I hope this isn't the last we hear from them as individual musicians.

Watched Interstella 5555 for the first time in years last night (got the DVD ages ago). It's still a flat-out enjoyable movie, and the Leiji Matsumoto character designs coupled with Daft Punk's music make it extra special. A remaster would look fantastic, should we be lucky enough to ever get one.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
That is sad. I don’t like everything they did, but the stuff I like, I freaking love. Their score for Tron: Legacy is transcendent. 28 years is still a hell of a run for a music group. Seems like most are lucky to get 10 years, and few become as iconic. So, if this is the end, we've got a lot of good music to remember them with, and who knows what the future holds.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
But I just saw them yesterday watching Deku and Shinzo fight!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know that they were together since the same year I was born, I always thought they first appeard in the late 90s. I remember watching their collaboration with Leiji Matsumoto on TV when I was younger, for some reason Nickelodeon latin-america showed pieces of the OVA like a music video during commercial breaks, that was my first contact with Daft Punk.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They released four studio albums and two live albums, and also composed the entire soundtrack to the Tron: Legay film.

LegaCy, LegaCy..

One more time...
Legacy.

It's funny that I watched Interstella 5555 but the music didn't hit until years later through Youtube memes. The breakup is what it is what it is.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This news makes me sad. Loved Random Access memories, and Discovery is one of the greatest things ever made. Have Interstellar 5555 on DVD too! And their Tron Legacy OST is also very cool. The two tracks they did with the Weeknd were also great! I was hoping to see another new album from them, and I hope the break-up wasn't over anything negative. I was hoping to one day attend another show they did, or get another great remix album like their ALIVE 2007 album which is godly! Would've also been cool to get another anime music video film like Interstellar, but well... sigh...
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Damn. This one hurts because I love Daft Punk. They've made many songs that have impacted people, and I just love the Tron Legacy soundtrack. It fit the film so much. I wish them the best.
Turro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Really sad news, but not a surprise, there is been years since the las album.

Ramdom access memories and Discovery are timeless pieces of art for sure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
Can't believe Interstella is that old already
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1