• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Edens Zero Anime Releases on Netflix Outside Japan this Fall

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Could this mean the show would go beyond 24 or something?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah... not a fan of this. Unfortunately, it's not the first anime Netflix got that overseas audience have to wait to watch legally because they seem to really enjoy catering to the binge-watch model. I just hate it as a fan since this is the only other show I had any interest in for this year (besides Dr. STONE S2), and I can't watch and enjoy it with the fandom while it's fresh and new unless I want to go the piracy route.

Really wish that Funi and/or CR got this...
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not a fan of this pointless delay for overseas so I won't be waiting.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
Well, if this means a Latin translation, I can wait.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:49 am Reply with quote
It sucks enough that a lot of people are dismissing it as a rehash of Fairy Tail (not to deny the parallels; it's in Mashima's nature to reference his older works), but this will definitely be a huge blow to generating discussion outside the niche of already existing fans. Our only hope that this won't totally go under people's radar is the Mashima brand recognition; the second PV is already one of the most viewed on Netflix's anime YouTube channel released in the past month by a longshot, if only because people will want to know what the hell Happy and Erza are doing in space, but that curiosity might not even be worth being made to last this long.
Albion Hero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:59 am Reply with quote
While it sucks Netflix is holding this hostage, people are really overestimating what this'll do for Eden's Zero popularity. If anything, it'll help it become a lot bigger then it ever could have been before. The majority of anime fans wait until something is on a service like Netflix or Toonami to watch. Its only the more hardcore fans that watch it streaming live as it airs in Japan.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:41 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
While it sucks Netflix is holding this hostage, people are really overestimating what this'll do for Eden's Zero popularity. If anything, it'll help it become a lot bigger then it ever could have been before. The majority of anime fans wait until something is on a service like Netflix or Toonami to watch. Its only the more hardcore fans that watch it streaming live as it airs in Japan.

Not to mention, it's released with a dub immediately.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 am Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:

Actually, I think the overwhelming majority of fans want to watch something as it airs in Japan. This Netflix Jail trend is getting annoying.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:

Actually, I think the overwhelming majority of fans want to watch something as it airs in Japan. This Netflix Jail trend is getting annoying.

And yet the fact they haven’t dropped feels like it’s just the hardcore base talking about while the rest don’t mind as long as they get it.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Albion Hero wrote:

Not to mention, it's released with a dub immediately.

And for Latin American viewers, very likely with a Latin American Spanish dub, unlike with what happened with Fairy Tail, making this the second animated adaptation of Hiro Mashima's work with a Latin American dub since Rave Master.
Vizo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have another fall anime to look forward to.

Overall, I think Netflix should stick to anime with a worldwide simul release for each season.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok, can someone tell me because I do not understand. Besides irritating certain fans, and not being the normal way anything is shown. Is there any actual proof that releasing things in binge format hurts the anime? I mean things that make the company less money, because as someone who likes to binge and watch dubs, I really do not see any problems. Plenty of anime on Netflix were still very popular despite netflix jail. In fact, It being on Netflix exposes more non anime fans to try new things. I feel people really act like Netflix is the worst company ever for allowing this.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Ok, can someone tell me because I do not understand. Besides irritating certain fans, and not being the normal way anything is shown. Is there any actual proof that releasing things in binge format hurts the anime? I mean things that make the company less money, because as someone who likes to binge and watch dubs, I really do not see any problems. Plenty of anime on Netflix were still very popular despite netflix jail. In fact, It being on Netflix exposes more non anime fans to try new things. I feel people really act like Netflix is the worst company ever for allowing this.

Speaking aabout this, GR Arkada uploaded a video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPPEVCwtaU

And also, almost 4 years ago, Justin Sevakis answered the question asa to why Netflix doesn´t simulcast in an article of the Answerman, so I don´t know why are anime fans still asking this question: animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-07-07/.118491
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Netflix doing this sort of thing throws the moral argument against piracy out the window. Like, it's already available, and I'm currently paying for Netflix, and I'll still be paying for Netflix when it's eventually released. So watching it now illegally as opposed to waiting for it to drop all at once doesn't lose this massive corporation any money. It's just so idiotic that their whole plan is that people in the US just pretend other countries don't exist, and that the people that would pirate will do it anyway. I can logically understand why they would do it from a business standpoint, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make me sick.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Amuro1X wrote:
In my opinion, Netflix doing this sort of thing throws the moral argument against piracy out the window. Like, it's already available, and I'm currently paying for Netflix, and I'll still be paying for Netflix when it's eventually released. So watching it now illegally as opposed to waiting for it to drop all at once doesn't lose this massive corporation any money. It's just so idiotic that their whole plan is that people in the US just pretend other countries don't exist, and that the people that would pirate will do it anyway. I can logically understand why they would do it from a business standpoint, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make me sick.

To be fair, if you watch dubs, you are arguably getting the better deal. Dubs up untill recently would take months to release. This is just the same thing. I agree that the sub should be done weekly, but some also like to binge as well. With my schedule, I rarely have time to watch weekly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2