• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Kabi Nagata's My Wandering Warrior Existence Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
More Nagata Kabi is always good.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
Yesterday, the Toronto Comic Arts Festival hosted Nagata Kabi and (via a translator) was interviewed by Deb Aoki. At one point, Deb asked her if she planned on ever focusing on her sexuality since it's been neglected since MY LESBIAN EXPERIENCE, in which she mentioned this book. I really recommend anyone who is a fan to give the interview a watch. (It's on YouTube.) It was her first international appearance and we finally get to see the artist behind the work. She is really modest and it was nice to see and hear from her since I find her work so beautiful and heartbreaking.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
DirtyCircle, thanks for mentioning Deb Aoki's interview with Nagata Kabi on YouTube.

TCAF 2021 - Nagata Kabi Spotlight
(0:16-1:11 Toronto area Indigenous Canadians statement by Miles Baker, interview starts at 1:12):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKlV-eO3xk

By the way, re:
Quote:
Seven Seas released Nagata's My Alcoholic Escape from Reality (Genjitsu Tōhi Shitetara Boroboro ni Natta Hanashi) manga in a single-volume edition digitally and in print on April 6 after a delay.

My Alcoholic Escape from Reality was released on May 11. I pre-ordered it from RightStuf on May 10.

North American Anime, Manga Releases, May 9-15:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-05-11/north-american-anime-manga-releases-may-9-15/.172657

My Alcoholic Escape from Reality (manga):
manga#23649 Anime smile
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting!
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
DirtyCircle, thanks for mentioning Deb Aoki's interview with Nagata Kabi on YouTube.

TCAF 2021 - Nagata Kabi Spotlight
(0:16-1:11 Toronto area Indigenous Canadians statement by Miles Baker, interview starts at 1:12):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuKlV-eO3xk

By the way, re:
Quote:
Seven Seas released Nagata's My Alcoholic Escape from Reality (Genjitsu Tōhi Shitetara Boroboro ni Natta Hanashi) manga in a single-volume edition digitally and in print on April 6 after a delay.

My Alcoholic Escape from Reality was released on May 11. I pre-ordered it from RightStuf on May 10.

North American Anime, Manga Releases, May 9-15:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-05-11/north-american-anime-manga-releases-may-9-15/.172657

My Alcoholic Escape from Reality (manga):
manga#23649 Anime smile

Given my track record with the series to this point, it should be no surprise that I'm giving it five stars out of five. My copy arrived on the day of the panel and it was so, so good. I'm always heartbroken with the earnestness that Nagata Kabi tackles her issues. Her obvious concern and now censoring of her familial relations aside, I always see it as unflinching and hopeful. I'm a straight white guy who can't relate to her struggles but feel deeply inspired when it comes to my own battles with depression. This series has enlightened and inspired me so much. In this recent book, she references a quote from another artist regarding Nagata Kabi's struggle as depicted in her earlier work and I just had to write that down for myself too. Urgh, I can't wait for March 2022 now, I want this new book!!
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the next book as well.

FYI: ANN has added an article re Nagata Kabi's TCAF interview.

The Art of Pain: My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness Creator Kabi Nagata, by Kalai Chik:
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2021-05-14/the-art-of-pain-my-lesbian-experience-with-loneliness-creator-kabi-nagata/.172747

At the moment, it's in the rotating banner on the ANN home page, but I'm not seeing it listed below the banner, but perhaps it will be listed later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1