• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Premieres in Fall with Yoko Kanno as Composer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
At least we'll get a good soundtrack out of this mess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kenatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping this is good. Don't let us down on this one. Hopefully the jams will be a hit..but it's kinda obvious that they will. John Cho put in the effort to have spike type hair at least
olgita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Thank god.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Considering how important music is to Cowboy Bebop, it was weirding me out that they weren't telling us who was responsible for scoring the live-action version. I'm glad they went with the best possible choice.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I’m pretty positive one of the leading producers for the show already confirmed this back in 2020, but I guess this is more official and all.
Alestal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't mean to be pessimistic but I'm skeptical if John Cho was the right guy for this project. He just doesn't seem to have the charisma to be a leading man like Spike. Nevertheless, I'm excited for this!
SP654

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I still say the anime is better
boldulysses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
John Cho definitely seems miscast.

Where's Ed??
kurichan69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
KevinTran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
I don't mean to be pessimistic but I'm skeptical if John Cho was the right guy for this project. He just doesn't seem to have the charisma to be a leading man like Spike. Nevertheless, I'm excited for this!
Anime fans just don’t get it. This show could be bad but it won’t be on John Cho. Dude has had a hard time throughout his career being taken seriously as an Asian man trying to lead in Hollywood. He absolutely has the charisma and demeanor to play Spike. You’re talking about the guy who oozes Charm in Harold and Kumar, to the MILF dude from American Pie.

Though he’s struggled to book leading roles it’s not for lack of talent. The only legitimate criticism I’ve seen on his casting is that be too old for Spike and not used to playing athletic roles which is a valid concern. Dude got into a leg injury on set during a freak accident involving stunt work. But the idea he doesn’t have the charisma to be a leading man is all ignorance likely stemming from lack of exposure in Hollywood content
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Have people considered waiting till it's out to pass judgement on it? We don't even have a trailer with actual footage yet.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I was going to give this a shot anyway, but having Kanno on board for music is great. Cool
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Have people considered waiting till it's out to pass judgement on it? We don't even have a trailer with actual footage yet.

Unfortunately, people won't do that. At this point, I feel like they would gain more satisfaction if it turns out to be bad than good. If it's the latter, they will still scrutinize it from head to toe. Like I've said in the past, anime and video games will reach a point where they are adapted as frequently as comic books and novels. In the past, bad adaptions came from inexperienced fans (Silent Hill) or ignorant investors (Dragon Ball). Granted, they are still going to exist, but likely there will be an acclaimed anime or game adaption in the next five years. We already have Alita: Battle Angel or Edge of Tomorrow which have die-hard fans, both work come from anime/manga subculture.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I understand being skeptical of it but I don’t understand people who are declaring it objectively bad when literally all we have is the cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3