• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump+ Gets Reality Show to Find 'Next Star Manga Creator'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
This could be interesting. Here's hoping the manga creators are varied and the winner gets to have a well-suited studio to do their work justice as well.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:40 am Reply with quote
A reality show that I would actually watch for once.
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
It's a shame this most likely won't be subtitled.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Give me something like ACT-AGE which was so unique. Shame writer was terrible person.

So hopefully someone not as terrible
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:06 pm Reply with quote
This kind of competitive reality show will put a lot of pressure on the contestants and especially the winner, maybe not creativity-wise, but the public expectations. Curious, since a lot of artists are introverts and don't normally like attention. I'm interested to see it, but I hope they treat the participants well.

If done well, we might see a line of promising manga artists, and maybe that one guy who doesn't win the competition but win the audience and grow to be more extensively successful.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a legit impressive prize. Getting into Jump is tough enough, but the winner's series automatically get an anime? A lot of published mangaka would give their non-dominant arm for that chance.

Soulwarfare wrote:
Give me something like ACT-AGE which was so unique. Shame writer was terrible person.

Petition to reboot Act-Age with a new writer who is not a pedophile. (because of the way manga ownership rights work, this is probably impossible, but I still wish it could be done. I really wanted to see how the story ended!)
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
This seems like a legit impressive prize. Getting into Jump is tough enough, but the winner's series automatically get an anime? A lot of published mangaka would give their non-dominant arm for that chance.

Soulwarfare wrote:

Petition to reboot Act-Age with a new writer who is not a pedophile. (because of the way manga ownership rights work, this is probably impossible, but I still wish it could be done. I really wanted to see how the story ended!)

Maybe the Act-Age artist can compete in this and have a happy ending to that terrible saga.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:

Petition to reboot Act-Age with a new writer who is not a pedophile. (because of the way manga ownership rights work, this is probably impossible, but I still wish it could be done. I really wanted to see how the story ended!)[/quote]

I too would like to see that but as you've mentioned ownership rights will make that nigh on impossible (unless Shueisha found a way to strip then from the original writer but that would bring up an ethical quandry). The best we can do is support the artist with whatever they work on in the future.

The competition prize is a pretty lucrative one. All the elements that are needed to get a work noticed are being offered here so I imagine participants will be eager to get involved (maybe it'll result in a really great series. One would hope so at least).
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:14 am Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:

Honeyman wrote:
I too would like to see that but as you've mentioned ownership rights will make that nigh on impossible (unless Shueisha found a way to strip then from the original writer but that would bring up an ethical quandry). The best we can do is support the artist with whatever they work on in the future.

The competition prize is a pretty lucrative one. All the elements that are needed to get a work noticed are being offered here so I imagine participants will be eager to get involved (maybe it'll result in a really great series. One would hope so at least).

Indeed. Another thing would be this: Could the winner decide the studio to animate the work or they come to bid. Does the winner decide where the show would be aired in Japan who gets to license it to overseas territories?

Last edited by Ryuji-Dono on Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Money down they're all isekai stories.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Money down they're all isekai stories.

Well, this is Shonen Jump and they don't do usually publish Isekai so I'm not sure on that.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Creating a good story takes time. For that reason, not sure that the manga winning such a competition will be good enough... Watching the show on Youtube anyway. There are some odd teams that might be interesting enough to keep me entertained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1