• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release 4 The Legend of Heroes Games in West for PS4, Switch, PC

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#LMFGaming

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Happy that we're getting 4 more games in the series coming to the west. But the timing of zero/azure getting official translation with the Geofront patch released not too long ago has me both happy and sad. We spent years never getting the game translated and the Geofront group has been working tirelessly to give us a fan translation patch of both games that now seem downplayed by the announcement. Regardless, I will pick these up and play the Geofront patch ver while waiting for the release.
Nutaris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
You may be interested to know that NIS made a deal with Geofront for their translation work.
https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/06/25/from-fantasy-to-reality-our-partnership-with-nis-america/
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, yes!! We're finally getting ALL the main Trails games in the West. I am beyond ecstatic for this. I'm glad I held out on playing Cold Steel, since now I can actually play them in order.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Oh my god, yes!! We're finally getting ALL the main Trails games in the West. I am beyond ecstatic for this. I'm glad I held out on playing Cold Steel, since now I can actually play them in order.

so I have been wanting to play the games (skys) and keep meaning to get to it. can you tell me what the order is please?
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

so I have been wanting to play the games (skys) and keep meaning to get to it. can you tell me what the order is please?
Sky's trilogy first. You can probably start them now, it'll take a while to get through them. Then trails Zero, then trails Azure, then cold steel 1 through 4. Trails Reverie comes after Cold steel games. The Nyauto boundless trails game seems like some spinoff project. It's not part of this storyline. By the time you get through the sky trilogy, the first game in the crossbell duality (which is zero and azure) will probably come out. These games are lonnnnng but so so so worth it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
This was great news, can't wait to pick these up. Hearing that Geofront is involved is also nice to see. It's great that a fan led project can lead in to an official release.

Only thing now is that it'd be nice to have the Sky trilogy on PS4 so that everything could be in one place.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Only thing now is that it'd be nice to have the Sky trilogy on PS4 so that everything could be in one place.

Well, technically everything will be in one place, on PC.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Well, technically everything will be in one place, on PC.

Ah, true.... but I have the Cold Steel games on PS4 so that's where I'd like to have the whole series Laughing
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Suxinn wrote:

As someone else already mentioned, the place to start is with the Trails in the Sky games, which consists of three chapters: FC, SC, and the 3rd. And don't let the "chapters" part fool you -- each of these is a full-length 40+ hour JRPG.

After that are these recent licenses: specifically, Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure. And, while it's a spinoff (as in, it's not in the continuity), Nayuta did get released first, so if you want to go by release order, you can play it first.

Then, the Cold Steel/Erebonia arc, which is four chapters (aka four separate full-length games). And finally, Trails into Reverie is the newest game released and is a sequel to Cold Steel.

So, uh, yeah, Trails is a huge time commitment, but it's my favorite JRPG franchise (even just from playing the Trails in the Sky series). The storytelling chops that Falcom brings to these games are really second to none -- and it's one of those series I wouldn't mind triple-dipping in if the first series ever gets a re-release on PS4. (Please, make it happen, NISA!)
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:39 am Reply with quote
Im pretty hyped for this! Been waiting a loooooong time to play the crossbell arc.

Think im gonna get the switch version for all 3 games that originally got a PSP release and then last one for the PS4...Seems like those games fit better as a handheld compared to the later releases. much like how trails in the sky 1 and 2 is still downloaded on my vita and the entirely of the CS series i have is downloaded to my ps5.
....Hope they have CE editions as well for these games.i LOVE this series more than is normal probably Razz
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm not completely surprised about Hajimari no Kiseki getting an English announcement. It is however very good to see games like Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki also get modern ports. There is a tremendous amount of material from those titles that intertwines into Cold Steel's narrative and when you play I - IV you realize by a good chunk of III that you're missing some really pretty big plot points if you haven't played the other Trails games. As owning a PSP and the physical titles can be expensive now - the physical games are priced to that point of being for collectors - it was going to get more and more difficult for players to fully enjoy the Trails narrative being explained in Cold Steel and more so Hajimari no Kiseki if that was the only game Nihom Falcon brought over.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that's fantastic news; have been putting off playing CS3, CS4 until I finish the Crossbell duology, which has been rather complicated. I played through the lovely Geofront adaptation of Zero by buying a Japanese copy of it, but was kinda hesitant to go through Chinese sellers for Azure, and actually picked up a PSP Japanese-language copy to try to understand instead, heh. Will be nice to have official English-language Steam versions of all of these available as alternatives -- and makes it much easier to keep track of 'em over the years.

Also cool as heck that NISA is working directly with omgfloofy and the rest of the Geofront gang. What a bizarre turn of events; feels like the fairy-tale conclusion of some kind of 90s videogame themed movie. Just needs more PowerGlove.

And great to see Nayuta & Reverie included as well. Nayuta I had specifically given up on ever finding a way to play, but I guess now there's an opportunity!
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
My main gripe here is that I waited forever for a decent Azure translation, and although I'm happy they're coming - did anyone notice 2022??? Late 2022?

I mean, Reverie is slated for 2023?

Yeesh. That's pathetic.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
My main gripe here is that I waited forever for a decent Azure translation, and although I'm happy they're coming - did anyone notice 2022??? Late 2022?.

Did notice, and this did hurt a bit. Just more motivation to try to understand the Japanese copy, before I'm tempted by the much easier English-language one, I figure. Laughing
RenRen94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy that Zero and Azure are coming over! On the other hand, do I just wait for them to come out before starting Cold Steel 3? I've been wanting to play them in order and was afraid I'd miss large swaths of information, and I'll be able to when Zero comes out in Fall 2022, but can I wait that long??? I guess it gives me time to plow through the Trails in the Sky trilogy, and finish off Cold Steel 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1