• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Summer 2021 Openings

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ya got me.

The preview pic made me wonder what explanation there would be for naming the Academia OP as a top song. There are worse songs, but the English is a bit cringy and the general feel is about as standard as you can get.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 am Reply with quote
Meikyuu Black Company and Idaten's OP are my favorites this season personally.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
Great to see Ayane's Analogy on here!
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Ya got me.

The preview pic made me wonder what explanation there would be for naming the Academia OP as a top song. There are worse songs, but the English is a bit cringy and the general feel is about as standard as you can get.

I like Man on a Mission and I have no issues with their English, but this is a song that probably sounds better if you can't understand the lyrics. It starts off strong, but then turns into a rock version of Wheels on the Bus very quickly. I really want to like it, but just can't get into it.

How did the OP for Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 2 not get in here? It's one of the OPs this season that I don't skip. It doesn't sound like anything else this season and I love a good lip sync video.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

How did the OP for Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 2 not get in here? It's one of the OPs this season that I don't skip. It doesn't sound like anything else this season and I love a good lip sync video.

Yeah that easily would have made one of my top picks for the season. I know they're mostly looking at songs, but even then, I would have subbed it in for MHA or Slime. I like the song for MHA's new OP, but the visuals are such a let down I can't justify putting it on any "Best Of" list.

My favorite OPs would probably be Maid Dragon S2, Vanitas, Higurashi Sotsu, Kageki Shoujo, and uh maybe Aquatope? Its fairly standard, but at least its a pretty standard haha
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Music taste really is subjective, cause I can't stand MHA's S5 OP2. It's not even that I dislike Man with a Mission. Their Iron Blooded Orphans song was dope.

I'm sad it's still stuck in Netflix jail, cause EDENS ZERO has had two great OPs. Particularly the first one Eden Through the Rough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1