• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aharen-san wa Hakarenai Romantic Comedy Manga Gets TV Anime Next April

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
It was about time! I can already imagine myself laughing out loud if certain chapters are adapted.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
This looks really cute!
Flash xd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
What's with Japan obsession with little girls?? I'm sick of it. Don't tell me they're the same age or something like that cause that's bullshit and a useless justification for that shit.
traveling

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Flash xd wrote:
What's with Japan obsession with little girls?? I'm sick of it. Don't tell me they're the same age or something like that cause that's bullshit and a useless justification for that shit.

Oh boy, we got one of Noralities' disciples here.
Tohsaka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mantan Web link is incorrect, currently links to a COVID page.
Assume it's meant to be this: https://mantan-web.jp/article/20210731dog00m200042000c.html

Edit: Fixed, thanks.

Last edited by Tohsaka on Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
Flash xd wrote:

Oh boy, we got one of Noralities' disciples here.

Ugh, can we seriously not? Both of you?

I perfectly understand the concern but I don't think it's either good to act as though the whole country is totally of one mind about things like this, nor to outright dismiss it in the first place.

Regardless, I'm really excited and happy to hear this get an anime! The manga's really simple but really fun so it'll be nice seeing some of these gags get animated!
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
All up in my biz The Animation
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I perfectly understand the concern but I don't think it's either good to act as though the whole country is totally of one mind about things like this, nor to outright dismiss it in the first place.

I don't really know if this is a pattern for Japan. But it's definitely a pattern for anime... much as people try to deny it every time it appears. That fact that she's also the super-shy-and-awkward type only makes it more uncomfortable.

Not gonna blanket-judge everyone who watches this, but at the very least, we have to acknowledge two things here. One, if you showed this poster or trailer to a random person on the street, they would almost certainly think it's Pretty Weird, at best. Two, if you swapped the characters' genders, most of you here would also think it's Pretty Weird.

I'm not gonna discuss this further, though, because if I do someone's gonna try to flip the script by saying she's a little person and I'm being ableist, or something along those lines.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
No point in discussing, but what causes me concern is this is a "romantic" comedy anime so between a 16 year old guy and a "not 8 year old girl". And WTF is the little white "guy" in her lap? Can we not and just be Yotsuba&?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:07 am Reply with quote
The character dynamic does feel familiar, but the preview was amusing, so I'll be checking this out Smile
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

I don't really know if this is a pattern for Japan. But it's definitely a pattern for anime... much as people try to deny it every time it appears. That fact that she's also the super-shy-and-awkward type only makes it more uncomfortable.

Not gonna blanket-judge everyone who watches this, but at the very least, we have to acknowledge two things here. One, if you showed this poster or trailer to a random person on the street, they would almost certainly think it's Pretty Weird, at best. Two, if you swapped the characters' genders, most of you here would also think it's Pretty Weird.

I'm not gonna discuss this further, though, because if I do someone's gonna try to flip the script by saying she's a little person and I'm being ableist, or something along those lines.

Valid, if I saw the poster with no context whatsoever I probably would have assumed it'd be something weird, anime is very weird in that way and I don't ever want to deny that nor shut down anybody's concerns, especially considering the author's earlier works (one where most of the characters are small bubble people and there's alot of rauncy sex jokes in it or ones where the whole set up is you expect things to go one way only for it to go another, etc. It can indeed come off as juvenile shock value humor if nothing else)

That being said, having read a significant amount of this I can at least let it be known that the series isn't a weird loli fanservice thing, and is more of a romantic gag series, with the romance part downplayed to a point where you almost forget it is that at times. So if anyone wants to try it out you can rest at ease knowing all you'll have to worry about is whether you find it funny/entertaining or not.
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:

1. There are a tons of other anime shows each seasons, for everyone. A lot with action. A lot of comedy. Some ecchi with older girls. Sometime a few romance, a few yuri and a few yaoi.
2. This show is not really my cup of tea, but for what I see, it don't seem focused on the little girl thing. It don't seem ecchi either. That show seem targeted for people who like comedy. But maybe I'm wrong. I didn't read the manga.
3. Not all Japan watch anime. Not all people who watch anime (sexually) like lolis. Not all people who make show with lolis sexualize them.

So with that in mind, I don't think we can say that Japan have obesssion with little girls. That would be the case if all shows were about sexualized little girls, with a signifiant amount of people in Japan watching this. But it's not the case here. Maybe Japan... have more freedom of expression in anime and that's why we see lolis (sexualized or not) sometime. If lolis would not be a taboo topic here or at least there would be more freedom of expression, maybe we would have that kind of stuff time to time (at least not sexualized lolis), but for a minority of shows, like it's the case in Japan. I don't know...

Even for people who watch that kind of stuff, alongside a lot of other things, I can't say that it's really an obsession. You can watch shows for some reasons, and dislike some elements in these shows. For example, for an anime like Cross Ange, I like the story, but I really think that would be way better without the ecchi stuff. At least I would have liked the show more. Same thing with Code Geass that I couln't finish, or Banana Fish that make me inconfortable even if it's a GREAT show. It doesn't make me a weird person watching (or trying to watch) these shows.

Something became an obsession when you actively seek for almost only that and yep, when it's the case, it's really weird maybe... but I'm not here to judge either.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:54 am Reply with quote
Etc etc we are always assuming that they only make the girl look younger and ignoring how maybe they also make the boy look older etc etc. Even without the below average height, most other characters by this author are just manga style sized like that. And exagerating a character characteristic is just the basic cartoon rules and not only in japanese manga.
FallenDomino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:22 am Reply with quote
"Loli" is inherently sexual, it doesn't matter how many weird nerds try to redefine it to make it seem like they don't like little girls. So if there isn't anything sexual in the series, it's not loli and people are blowing this way out of proportion.
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
FallenDomino wrote:
"Loli" is inherently sexual, it doesn't matter how many weird nerds try to redefine it to make it seem like they don't like little girls. So if there isn't anything sexual in the series, it's not loli and people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Maybe you're right. Maybe not. I'm not used to how people use that word. But if you're right, the show we are talking about isn't loli at all. At least it seems like it to me. And that's the case for a lot of shows people call loli. For the words "yuri" and "yaoi", the same kind debate exists also... the important thing here is that we each understand what the other people are saying.

Last edited by monsieurb1982 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2