• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Releases Z/X Ignition, Lupin III vs. Detective Conan, Urusei Yatsura: Only You Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Project A-Ko Dec 21: I know what I'm getting for X-Mas Very Happy

Man November 30th is packed because I'm picking up 3 of the titles (Lupin, Urusei Yatsura and Kodocha). There goes my birthday money if I get any. 2022 will be a long wait for Kodocha fans (I've never seen it. Hope I like it) for the second set.

Never stop being awesome Discotek.
SprintsMcGee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Cool, now Discotek just needs to license the original Urusei Yatsura TV series =3
krpalmer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I did notice the description of Project A-ko was still mentioning use of the "Domesday Duplicator" rather than the film print that was found in the midst of that enhancement effort. (That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in comparing the old laserdisc rips, however the image enhancement turned out, and the film print...)
Ampharos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I guess those of us who were worried about Kodocha not being mentioned at the big panel last month had no cause to worry after all! Preordered that immediately.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they can get the other symphogear seasons released.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
krpalmer wrote:
I did notice the description of Project A-ko was still mentioning use of the "Domesday Duplicator" rather than the film print that was found in the midst of that enhancement effort. (That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in comparing the old laserdisc rips, however the image enhancement turned out, and the film print...)

It appears that the author copied forward old information, because the announcement and product description say it is remastered from the original film negatives.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:42 pm Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
krpalmer wrote:

It appears that the author copied forward old information, because the announcement and product description say it is remastered from the original film negatives.

From RightStuf's page:

"REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM NEGATIVES & PRESENTED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HIGH-DEFINITION!" ( RS put it in all capital letters. )

I am very relieved to see this. And yep, this is a definite buy for me.

As for UY tv, I hope it gets back into print somehow, but I don't think it needs a full restoration effort. It was '80s tv anime and it shows. Maybe the OVAs would, I don't know. I only ever saw them on Youtube back when it had them.
K'un Lun Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

As for UY tv, I hope it gets back into print somehow, but I don't think it needs a full restoration effort. It was '80s tv anime and it shows. Maybe the OVAs would, I don't know. I only ever saw them on Youtube back when it had them.

I’d be happy if Discotek gave UY their “SD on BD” treatment across 4 or 5 sets (though I wouldn’t cry if we got an actual HD remaster).
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:30 pm Reply with quote
am expecting a Ninja Robots release date any day
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for the Konosuba movie sometime soon.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
K'un Lun Kid wrote:

I’d be happy if Discotek gave UY their “SD on BD” treatment across 4 or 5 sets (though I wouldn’t cry if we got an actual HD remaster).
Maybe they can test the waters with the OVA's first and if they sell well they can do the TV series? I would love the TV series but you're talking about almost 200 episodes. Granted it's sub only (except the pilot dub which is notorious) but I don't think Rumiko Takahashi stuff is cheap...Here's hoping for more UY regardless.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:17 am Reply with quote
It already had been restored in its entirety and released on Blu-ray in Japan, so Discotek doesn't have to do anything about that.
Personally, I think it looks beautiful. Older anime or pretty much anything utilizing cel animation in HD simply looks incredible. I may be biased though because it's my all-time favorite anime, but I really do think it's worth it. Would absolutely buy all of it.

Looking forward to Only You in HD though! I own a very old UK DVD of that movie which looks like VHS quality transferred on to a disc. I kinda like that low quality old look, but an upgrade is certainly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apterous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
Hope for Urusei Yatsura TV Blu-Ray remaster being imported isn't dead!

I will purchase all of the UY releases in hopes that Discotek can move to the TV series next...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:50 am Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Maybe they can test the waters with the OVA's first and if they sell well they can do the TV series? I would love the TV series but you're talking about almost 200 episodes. Granted it's sub only (except the pilot dub which is notorious) but I don't think Rumiko Takahashi stuff is cheap...Here's hoping for more UY regardless.

Hit man reborn and Sgt frog are both if comparable length and wereally or are bring put out by discotek. Not to mention I know it's dbz but the show is 291 episodes and has been released as a full series like what ten plus times not even counting kai.

Lso like to maison ikkou.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:12 pm Reply with quote
VERY happy to see the UY movies coming to Blu-ray (already have their previous UY Movie 2 on Blu-ray). I have all the Animeigo DVD releases (all 61 DVDs, plus the CPM/USMC Movie 2), and Blu-ray is the only way I'll be retiring the originals....once I get them, of course.

Probably go for the A-ko release as well (still have the original DVDs of the four movies).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1