• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams The Blue Period Anime Outside Japan on October 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I'm glad Netflix is at least taking a chance on worldwide simulcasting.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
The Blue Period will be Netflix's second simulcast in their entire history. The first anime simulcast was Violet Evergarden, albeit in certain countries.
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
The Blue Period will be Netflix's second simulcast in their entire history. The first anime simulcast was Violet Evergarden, albeit in certain countries.

Bearing in mind that the anime will only went out to the rest of the world on netflix a week after it came out on Japanese TV, can we still call it simulcasting?
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I was about to say "oh that's unfortunate" but it's actually being simulcast?? Damn I'm glad Netflix is actually doing it for once (and hopefully not the last time)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's a positive sign Netflix will end their Netflix jail practices and that fans will watch this to show support for simiulcasts.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't expecting Netflix to get this, let alone simulcast it, but cool!
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:32 am Reply with quote
maybe the english dub will release after the sub was finished or a week after like 5 episode of the sub version like how Funi and Crunchy did ?
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
Glad we don’t have to wait months to watch this
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
maybe the english dub will release after the sub was finished or a week after like 5 episode of the sub version like how Funi and Crunchy did ?

I wonder if the delay between the initial airing and the premier is so they can release the episode in all languages.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Violet Evergarden was streamed sub only when it was simulcast in the UK and the dub was added later. I don't see that changing for future shows as Netflix is also dubbing for multiple countries and likes to debut it all at once. They probably will have multi language subtitles though.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be, Netflix not only beat out Funimation and Crunchyroll for Blue Period, but for the first time ever, they are now simulcasting the series on a weekly basis, when compared to the other anime series they acquire and license for their service as they hold them off until the dub is ready to be dropped on Netflix just 3-4 months after they released in Japan.

Still, I'm very excited that Netflix is dipping their toes to do anime simulcasting, considering that the streaming service has been getting flack and criticism lately for binge dropping series (including anime series) instead of releasing them one episode a week like what Disney+, Apple TV+, and HBO Max is doing for their different shows respectively especially the former. Hopefully, Netflix will continue doing more simulcasting for some anime series they would license and acquire on their streaming service beyond just Blue Period.

Now that they are releasing Blue Period weekly worldwide on Netflix, The only question is if they are:

A. Releasing Blue Period with a sub and dub at the same time every week?

B Follow Funimation & Crunchyroll's model where around the release of the 5th/6th episode they release the dub of the first episode?

C. Release the dub after the series finishes airing weekly 2-3 months later?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I just started reading this series and volume 1 has me hooked from the getgo so I cannot wait to see how this gorgeous series is realized as an anime.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
Finally! A reason for me to delve into this anime! Very Happy Very Happy

But first, amma read the manga first. Lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1