• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maesetsu! Opening Act

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, while much of the comedy sequences of this show kind of fell flat for me, I think at least some of that could be chalked up to ‘cultural differences’.
What did work for me though was the theme of people trying to break through in a field they really wanted to succeed in, and dealing with their small triumphs and disasters all the same. That part of the show I really liked as it was relatable.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I would describe it as a slice-of-life that's about comedy but isn't a comedy itself.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
It's strange that the show seems to use the two main groups to why 2 person comedy teams work and don't work. The series offers no reason why Nayuta just doesn't do her routine, her entire style, herself. In fact, I think it'd be even better without Rin since Nayuta is already playing to the audience in her fantasy acts.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I watched this when it aired and I ended up enjoying this more than expected. The jokes don't always land (so don't watch it expecting it to be a laugh out loud comedy), but those that did were funny (their Senpai's act was usually on point). More importantly the slice of life aspect was very enjoyable. Just watching the characters work on their careers.
I presume many of the older comedians are actual comedians making guest appearances that would really appeal to fans of this type of comedy, but not being familiar with them just made those parts a miss.

The ending was good too.

I'd never expect it, but I'd definitely look forward to a second season.

q_3 wrote:
I would describe it as a slice-of-life that's about comedy but isn't a comedy itself.

Agreed.

Last edited by Covnam on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 am Reply with quote
I liked this anime a lot actually. Recommended if you're curious about the manzai-style comedy that pervades anime.

This anime being about comedy instead of just comedy is a very good description. The characters are all professional (or aspiring) comedians though, so much of their conversations are still comedic. This anime isn't only about comedy, but also about people who love comedy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1