• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CLAMP Releases Limited Edition Magic Knight Rayearth-Inspired Kimono

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
This is really cool. On one hand as a long time fan of the Rayearth franchise it's always cool to see stuff like this get made and become available. Rayearth has always been a great marketable franchise and the seemingly endless supply of second hand goods from the 1990s is proof of that.

On the other hand I somewhat hate how it seems like Rayearth has been effectively pushed to the side by modern fandom, firstly by CLAMP themselves but also seemingly by the resurgence in magical and girl-power fighting focused series including recent series such as Sakura Clear Card, the ongoing PreCure releases, and the recent Sailor Moon remakes. I really wish Rayearth would get some sort of modern re-make. I know long time fans would probably throw a fit as the cel shaded aesthetic won't be there, but I feel there's a lot more that could now be done with the series that a broadcast series from the mid 90s had difficulties with, especially with the action sequences and later mecha sequences.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:39 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, one of the CLAMP members is herself very interested in kiminos. I think she has a book of kimono designs, in fact.

Ah, here we go: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7338621-okimono-kimono
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
On the other hand I somewhat hate how it seems like Rayearth has been effectively pushed to the side by modern fandom, firstly by CLAMP themselves but also seemingly by the resurgence in magical and girl-power fighting focused series including recent series such as Sakura Clear Card, the ongoing PreCure releases, and the recent Sailor Moon remakes. I really wish Rayearth would get some sort of modern re-make. I know long time fans would probably throw a fit as the cel shaded aesthetic won't be there, but I feel there's a lot more that could now be done with the series that a broadcast series from the mid 90s had difficulties with, especially with the action sequences and later mecha sequences.

I'm satisfied with having the old TV anime adaptation on Blu-ray. Not sure there's a market for a remake.

Kodansha Comics did release the 25th anniversary collector's edition of the manga in the U.S. I already have both box sets but haven't read them yet.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:

On the other hand I somewhat hate how it seems like Rayearth has been effectively pushed to the side by modern fandom, firstly by CLAMP themselves but also seemingly by the resurgence in magical and girl-power fighting focused series including recent series such as Sakura Clear Card, the ongoing PreCure releases, and the recent Sailor Moon remakes.

Yeah it's kind of disappointing, it feels like the only way Rayearth is ever even referenced these days is Mokona's existence and even then it's become more associated with xxxholic/Tsubasa these days.

I've only read the first 3 volumes of the series but I agree that an anime remake would be nice, I really liked what I've read so far.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
I really wish Rayearth would get some sort of modern re-make.

I feel that this statement is a double-edged sword.

Yes, it's great to have fans still interested in the property and new merchandise to buy 25 years later. But seeing how butchered the new versions have been such as Toei handing out the first two seasons to some newbie animators, do you really want to see that happen to Rayearth? Not that I'm saying that it's all but guaranteed that this will happen to Rayearth. I have so many complaints about new CCS, particularly the aging down of the characters despite them being a few years older than they were in the original, that if I had a choice between there being a remake and there not being one, I'd choose the latter every day.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
A new remake would probably lead to a rush job of the first half and I'm not so sure that would be a good idea.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
I love Rayearth, but it doesn’t need a remake as much as other shows.

The first season is basically 1 to 1 with the manga, except there’s additional stories thrown in to pad things out. Season 2 diverges more, but not in a way that anyone ever complains about it. Nanase Ohkawa supervised the anime’s story herself, so it really feels like an expanded AU of the manga rather than a hodgepodge like Sailor Moon.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Those kimono are lovely! I'm surprised that the price isn't higher, but I don't know much about how those sorts of things are sold.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Those kimono are lovely! I'm surprised that the price isn't higher, but I don't know much about how those sorts of things are sold.

I suspect it is because the patterns are died into the material instead of embroidered. Much less labor-intensive (though still requiring great skill), so not as expensive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1