• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest Composer Koichi Sugiyama Passes Away at 90

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
This is a big blow for DQ fans, but we all knew it was going to happen eventually because he was 90 years old. He impacted the lives of many with DQ, and he pretty much went out with a bang by having his music played during the Olympics for the world to hear a just months ago. RIP
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:39 am Reply with quote
He made some good music. Shame about his personality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
He made some good music up to about two decades ago. And had been coasting on mediocrity since, while also ensuring the scores would be stuck as terrible MIDIs because he wanted to sell more concert tickets.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:17 am Reply with quote
He was an awful man who happened to make some good music. He has only himself to blame for people not mourning him
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:24 am Reply with quote
At least in the States...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:26 am Reply with quote
If you don't want to mourn his death, then just don't say anything.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

You also shouldn't pretend he wasn't an utterly horrible human being just because he passed away.
Touma55

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Ikr? The article itself says what he has said so, I don't see the need for that on the very same day of the announcement and on the very same article. Some people don't have the slightest bit of decency.
Vent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:51 am Reply with quote
chastising people over "decency" when we're talking about a war crime denier and bigot is pretty baffling. Nothing this man has done has earned him any of that decency.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace but I'm hoping the DQ series gets some much needed consistency with its music quality now.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Ikr? The article itself says what he has said so, I don't see the need for that on the very same day of the announcement and on the very same article. Some people don't have the slightest bit of decency.

If you want people to only say nice things about you when you die, you know what to do.
Touma55

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:34 am Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
chastising people over "decency" when we're talking about a war crime denier and bigot is pretty baffling. Nothing this man has done has earned him any of that decency.

Saw this comment coming from a mile away. Sorry to say, but I don't care what the guy said. He has said a lot of shitty things, some that are even targeted at people like me with his negative LGBTQ+ comments, but in my eyes words are just words. Unless someone does something much more severe I believe in showing the person at least a bit of decency around the time of their death and announcement of death. If people wanna shit on him I'm not gonna stop them but I'm still gonna say its a shitty thing to do.

Btw if you plan on replying to this to try and convince me to change my view or something don't bother because showing decency even to people you may not like at times like this is something I find very important so you cant change my mind unless you have information on him committing some awful crime or something.
kikuzinho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:58 am Reply with quote
Loved his soundtrack for Dragon Quest VIII (the only one I played).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:38 am Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It was like this on Twitter when Sean Connery died. Only hours after the announcement people were saying that they didn't care because he was a wife beater. And it's the same case of if you don't care, then just don't say anything.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Saw this comment coming from a mile away. Sorry to say, but I don't care what the guy said. He has said a lot of shitty things, some that are even targeted at people like me with his negative LGBTQ+ comments, but in my eyes words are just words. Unless someone does something much more severe I believe in showing the person at least a bit of decency around the time of their death and announcement of death. If people wanna shit on him I'm not gonna stop them but I'm still gonna say its a shitty thing to do.

Just gonna say the man has finally contributed towards anti-LGBT causes, and literally laughed at LGBT suicides so his "opinions" go pretty beyond just being garbage. Best I'll say is I'm glad he's no longer able to cause harm to others with his views, and hopefully his replacement for the DQ franchise will be someone significantly less problematic
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6