• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Genshin Impact Mobile Game Brings In US$2 Billion Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:51 pm Reply with quote
So give or take, Genshin's 1st Anni hashflags on Twitter cost Mihoyo about 1.5% of their total earnings. Doesn't seem like much, but they could've used that on something in-game that would rake them even more money Confused
Super_M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of money, I don't be surprised if Genshin spawn some trend similar to moba or battle royale.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what it could spawn. It itself is an amalgamation of successful game models, both in game design and revenue structure. It feels more like a pinnacle than a starting point.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I've whaled on the game since launch but after the poor anniversary rewards I'm not spending another dime until Mihoyo does something significant for the community. So far, they haven't delivered imo.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
And why are you considering the game as a mobile game? Genshin Impact was released on September 28th 2020 for PC, PS4 and mobile.
Also is it true that the 2 billions are only the amount through "mobile" stores? I think it's the overall money they earned across all platforms.
Stryfermon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The question is then. What did it earn on PC, PS4 and PS5?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:

Also is it true that the 2 billions are only the amount through "mobile" stores? I think it's the overall money they earned across all platforms.

No, it's only mobile store earnings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
holy weeb cow, batman

Tripple-A wrote:
And why are you considering the game as a mobile game? Genshin Impact was released on September 28th 2020 for PC, PS4 and mobile.

precisely, and it's coming out in the switch soon. if anything, it's more of a cross platform game than a dedicated mobile one. with a gacha flavor to it , too.

goddamit, i knew that FGO was up to no good!
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
US$2 billion worldwide in mobile store transactions in a single year ... Approximately half of that money was made in the game's first six months on the market.

So... stands to reason that approx half that money was made in the latter six months too, yes? Very Happy
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:

Holy waifus Batman! That’s a lot of cash!
Lorain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:41 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Tripple-A wrote:

Something to consider is that a fair amount of PC players will probably charge on phone due to the Google Play Store credit. So PC earning may not be much more than mobile as anyone looking to be efficient would pay on mobile rather than PC to get a bit back from their purchases.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:33 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Okay that's insane, don't know how much more they have earned through PC and PS4, but while a lot do crossplay between PC and mobile only a few do it between PS4 and mobile simply because it wasn't even possible yet a few months ago. Without accurate numbers we can only guess, about half the player base should be on mobile, while the rest is more or less evenly split between PS and PC (slightly more PC I think). I wouldn't go as far as to double the number, because the PC users are especially hard to assess, but we can safely add half of the earnings in my opinion.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
Whales gonna whale I suppose... I've been playing GI around since it launched but my policy is not to spend a single cent on F2P / gacha games. If they become impossible to play because of that, I drop them like a bad habit. GI has been the opposite so far; due to is forgiving gacha pity system and ways to obtain gacha currency with small / little effort, I've been able to grab eight top-tier (aka five-star) characters, which is about a third of available.

Plus their ratings aren't the whole story. A fire-attribute character you get for free is still one of the best fire off-DPS appliers and a certain lower tier character is arguably the best damage buffer. And TBH once you have enough characters to put together several good teams, there's no actual need to obtain any more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1