• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: 86 Season 2

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
So far I think once again the staff are knocking it out of the park adapting everything and elevating the source material.

Also from a casting perspective, all the new characters sound great. Kana Ueda as Grethe is something I never expected but works surprisingly well. And Frederica's voice makes me think Hawk, but it fits her very well.

Also have to say I think I vastly prefer the new Opening to the first cour's Opening, on several levels.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 pm Reply with quote
The brother and sister like relationship between Shin and Frederica is one of the best things about the novels.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
The brother and sister like relationship between Shin and Frederica is one of the best things about the novels.

It's nice to see more of Shin's teasing side, and Frederica playing up the cutesy little sister angle and Shin messing with her is hilarious.

That and she's the only one that calls him "Shinei," which is pretty amusing.
Netero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Apparently military mascots were a real thing, but were usually animals and not children.

Actually they were often children and as young as 7 or 8 sometimes. They were officially "drummer boys", but were in effect treated as mascots.

And I wonder how Lena got permission for her unofficial dress mods - black uniform for mourning and red hair streak for blood?
saber721

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
Netero wrote:
And I wonder how Lena got permission for her unofficial dress mods - black uniform for mourning and red hair streak for blood?

She didn't. It was implied in the scene where Lena is talking with her new commanding officer in episode 12 that she basically doesn't give a crap what her superiors think about her actions. She knows they either don't care what she does as long as it can help them get promoted or are otherwise too cowardly to do anything to punish her.

Last edited by saber721 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:04 am Reply with quote
Personally, i'm super excited for this cour, i can't wait. i imagine instead of going 50-50 per episode i imagine it will probably go 50-50 flip flopping each episode, may not, who knows at this point.

I'm glad they brought back the real mascot of the team FIDO, lets be real, we all cried a little in the last cour/season when FIDO died.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The 2nd season pacing is far better and the story is more interesting than 1st season in my opinion but OMG that annoying little Empress with that God awful screeching voice ruins for me Mad
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the beginning of this season more than the last one- even if I do want to see more of what Lena is doing,

Frederica I'm torn on- when she breaks out of "annoying little kid" to say something weighty, she has a fair amount of gravitas. Otherwise...she's rather irritating. Which is likely more a preference issue than something the series is doing poorly.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:42 pm Reply with quote
saber721 wrote:
Netero wrote:

She didn't. It was implied in the scene where Lena is talking with her new commanding officer in episode 12 that she basically doesn't give a crap what her superiors think about her actions. She knows they either don't care what she does as long as it can help them get promoted or are otherwise too cowardly to do anything to punish her.

Another thing the anime left out that's a minor detail but also relevant there is that her family are ex nobles and so are able to get away with a bit more/be in higher positions like her Uncle.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder what the deal is with the white-haired people and how the Republic wound up being almost exclusively populated with them. Here's hoping the Federacy doesn't go the opposite route from the Republic and ship them off to camps or something.

The contrast between Shin's comrades and the (presumbably) volunteer Federacy soldiers is interesting and I think it's worth exploring.

Slightly off-topic, but ever since I first heard about the Polish bear-soldier, I feel compelled to bring this guy up whenever military mascots are mentioned: [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)[/url]. I don't think Frederica can top that.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
Dumas1 wrote:
I wonder what the deal is with the white-haired people and how the Republic wound up being almost exclusively populated with them.

While Alba (the silver-haired, pale-eyed people) were always the predominant race in the Republic, the Republic became exclusively Alba as a result of shipping all its minorities off to concentration camps - i.e., the "non-existent" 86th District.

Quote:
Here's hoping the Federacy doesn't go the opposite route from the Republic and ship them off to camps or something.

If you watched the street scenes carefully in episodes 12 and 13 (or just look at the distribution of military officials), you'll note that the Federacy is much more evenly racially mixed, so that would be impossible.

Quote:
The contrast between Shin's comrades and the (presumably) volunteer Federacy soldiers is interesting and I think it's worth exploring.

The novels do bring this up on numerous occasions, and we've already seen a little bit on that so far. Based on the way the adaptation is handling things, I expect that contrast to be present but not focused on throughout the rest of this season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:49 am Reply with quote
Excuse you, Shin hucking a small child will always be talked about.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
I like them focusing on the disparity between the Eighty-Six's perspective and the people of the Federacy, and how, without knowing, the Federacy is underestimating them like the Republic has (but not because of their race). And how much emotional baggage they're all carrying (especially Shin).

And while we only got a cameo appearance from her, we also see how much Lena has impacted Shin.
FilthyCasual wrote:
Excuse you, Shin hucking a small child will always be talked about.

And Anju's effortless catching job!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of horrifying that the Federacy is preparing for a large scale attack and even then what they have out might not be enough.

Meanwhile, Lena is super screwed because San Mangolia is just vibing. Kiriya's horrifying railgun attack is probably going to play a role in destroying the grand mur, but it would be weird for him not to prioritizing attacking the Federacy instead. I wonder how he'd take seeing Frederica, will it calm him down a bit like Rei eventually was able to or will he absolutely lose his marbles thinking he's being screwed with.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
It's kind of horrifying that the Federacy is preparing for a large scale attack and even then what they have out might not be enough.

Meanwhile, Lena is super screwed because San Mangolia is just vibing. Kiriya's horrifying railgun attack is probably going to play a role in destroying the grand mur, but it would be weird for him not to prioritizing attacking the Federacy instead. I wonder how he'd take seeing Frederica, will it calm him down a bit like Rei eventually was able to or will he absolutely lose his marbles thinking he's being screwed with.

It's kind of hilarious in a sad way that the only thing the Republic has going for them is a teenage girl having to work against her own military structure alongside the people they cast off to die.

And we see from Lena's one scene at the end that they're basically surrounded by Legion.

The Federacy might be underestimating the onslaught they're in for because they don't know about Shin's powers but they'll probably bear it better than the Republic if not for Lena.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8