• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nana to Kaoru 3rd Year Spinoff Manga Ends on October 29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
"The manga is a spinoff of Amazume's Nana to Kaoru manga, set during Nana and Kaoru's third year of high school."

I don't read this but this phrase made me confused.

Why is called an spin off when it sounds like a sequel?
hexashadow13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"The manga is a spinoff of Amazume's Nana to Kaoru manga, set during Nana and Kaoru's third year of high school."

The original had a sequel (Black Label) that takes place after this. As such, the author can't really do much in terms of character development or plot progression in this as it would contradict Black Label which started with things essentially in the state the original series left off. As such, this basically feels like anime filler, where it is certainly does go in interesting directions but nothing really sticks.

The article also refers to Black Label as a spin off though, which I would say is incorrect. It's very much a sequel.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:59 pm Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The original had a sequel (Black Label) that takes place after this. As such, the author can't really do much in terms of character development or plot progression in this as it would contradict Black Label which started with things essentially in the state the original series left off. As such, this basically feels like anime filler, where it is certainly does go in interesting directions but nothing really sticks.

The article also refers to Black Label as a spin off though, which I would say is incorrect. It's very much a sequel.

Okkk.... so the series had a sequel but the author then decided to make a prequel of the sequel and both sequels are called spin-offs...

And here I thought the Tagaki-san situation of "Let's make a sequel of an already running manga and then let's make a sequel of the sequel and have the 3 run at the same time" was kinda messy.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I never read any of the spinoffs but the original series was really good. I'm sort if surprised it was never picked up and licensed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:42 pm Reply with quote
hexashadow13 wrote:

Black Label takes place in the summer of their 3rd year, correct? Does this cover the entire 3rd year (until spring) or did it stop before the summer (and black label) happened?

I can't help wondering what Amazume was thinking starting a second series that takes place after a time skip, before finishing the first series and then that second series ended before the first did!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This must be some kind of high school, what with the bondage and slave collar theme on the cover.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I never read any of the spinoffs but the original series was really good. I'm sort if surprised it was never picked up and licensed.

A few years back when Digital Manga Publishing was experimenting with bringing over works that weren't quite explicit (like Project-H) but not entirely worksafe (like everything else), a lot of folks pushed hard and hoped that Nana to Kaoru would get chosen. DMP instead went with... what they went with, shall we say.

I was a big fan of NtK and it does have some great character development. Ryuuta Amazume's Opinions™ on how relationships between men and women should work get creepily present in Black (that relationship Nana and Kaoru witnessed was most definitely not a healthy one, kinda messed up it was presented as such), and NtK had one heck of a rushed, disappointing ending that really went back on a lot of the positive growth Kaoru went through, but I stand by the series. Kaoru's a good kid, just a shame the series isn't as good as it should be.

Also, yeah: why make an interquel like this? Black was weird enough, being that it was a spin-off where Nana and Kaoru couldn't do anything that they weren't already doing in the main story. So why make another spin-off where you have two stories' worth of content you can't contradict? Weird.
Cryten

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote
Does that mean its soft-core hentai? I remember seeing some publishers pushing some more story based soft-core hentai series back in the mid 2000's. I still find it odd it never triggered anyone (whether via moral outcry or controversy) but they also seemed to never get mentioned again.

If Im reading FinalVent's post wrong then never mind.

Then again weirder things have happened. Like that series Ishuzoku Reviewers getting published in Australia (Land of the shows getting banned for encouraging drugs or sexual deviancy) but shelved in America.
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Does that mean its soft-core hentai? I remember seeing some publishers pushing some more story based soft-core hentai series back in the mid 2000's. I still find it odd it never triggered anyone (whether via moral outcry or controversy) but they also seemed to never get mentioned again.

If Im reading FinalVent's post wrong then never mind.

Then again weirder things have happened. Like that series Ishuzoku Reviewers getting published in Australia (Land of the shows getting banned for encouraging drugs or sexual deviancy) but shelved in America.
I think softcore hentai is a bit too extreme of a description for it. I'd say it fell closer to the echi side if things. There are definetly way more extreme things being published by main stream publishers like Seven Seas and Yen Press. Lust Geass, World's End Harem and Parallel Paradise come to mind, so I don't think the actual content kept it from coming over. Maybe it was just a timing thing
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 am Reply with quote
Loved this manga (the original mostly), it's still high on my list of older series I hope magically get licensed someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1