• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals Cast Members

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hoping it'll turn out all right, but the track record for Western live-action adaptations of anime and manga isn't good.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I can't explain the pure existential fear I have when reading that some guy is going to be a live action Monkey D luffy.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Everyone looks good, but the Sanji = Eminem jokes are already going full throttle.

Good luck to them. They’re going to need it.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:02 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Hoping it'll turn out all right, but the track record for Western live-action adaptations of anime and manga isn't good.

It probably won't, but One Piece is just about the worst possible thing to try to turn into live-action (between the need for constant rubber CG and its ridiculously cartoon world of 15 foot people). So it'll probably still be funny in a train wreck kind of way.
Matros

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

It probably won't, but One Piece is just about the worst possible thing to try to turn into live-action (between the need for constant rubber CG and its ridiculously cartoon world of 15 foot people). So it'll probably still be funny in a train wreck kind of way.

Not with that kind of attitude. Y'all should stop being so miserable all the time.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is a Netflix live-action adaptation casting, alright.

I don't know why was I expecting something good out of this, when next week we have the live-action Cowboy Bebop, which proves NF doesn't care about accuracy.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Well, it is a Netflix live-action adaptation casting, alright.

I don't know why was I expecting something good out of this, when next week we have the live-action Cowboy Bebop, which proves NF doesn't care about accuracy.

I think Bebop actually looks good, but this...i have no clue what they are thinking.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Not with that kind of attitude. Y'all should stop being so miserable all the time.

I don't know how you managed to read "miserable" in people having fun with bad live action adaptations, but good job I guess. But I admire your baseless optimism for what will likely end up with Cronenberg body horror levels of stretchy arms.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

The casting looks horrible (except for mayyyyyyyyyybe Mackenyu), and we all know Netflix's track record with their horrible live-action adapts. We have a right to complain.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
I think Bebop actually looks good, but this...i have no clue what they are thinking.

It's OK that you think Cowboy Bebop looks "good"; I honestly don't care.
cchigu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Live action sucks, Hollywood sucks, and Netflix sucks. No reason why a true combo won't suck.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I mean, Zoro looks good. Usopp is... on the right track, I guess? The rest are terrible. I have zero faith in this project and will continue to enjoy the anime and manga. When it fails, it won't hurt me. I suggest everyone else feel equally detached.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Sanji looks more like Enel than anything else. The only real casting that looks okay is Nami and Zoro.

I genuinely do not see this working budget wise. Not even Marvel wanted to bother trying to do a stretchy rubbery superhero for their Ms Marvel Disney+ series so they changed her powers. And that's to say nothing of the writing and plot changes that are no doubt going to happen.
strawberry_milk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So... who saw the article and clicked straight to the comments. Mr. Green
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I dont know why they keep going after these difficult to adapt properties. Black Lagoon is RIGHT there begging for a holywood adaptation. I think hollywood could succesfully adapt anime and manga, they just need to choose things thats in their wheelhouse
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7