• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club to Release Audiobook for Slayers Novels

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:51 am Reply with quote
Speaking about Slayers, considering how popular was old school JRPG setting in anime for a while now, I am surprised we haven't got more, well, Slayers anime.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote
Wow! This is indeed a very nice surprise!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:53 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
Speaking about Slayers, considering how popular was old school JRPG setting in anime for a while now, I am surprised we haven't got more, well, Slayers anime.

New novels started up three years ago and have apparently sold quite well, so I'll honestly be surprised if they don't try to make something new within the decade.
norbjunior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
While the books can be hit or miss, they're generally pretty fun and I'm determined to read through the series! Still so glad that this classic series is coming to the English market!
vanishingblood

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
Wish they worked on getting the print version out faster instead of this useless novelty! Taking a year between vol 1 and 2 when the content is already translated and released digitally is ridiculous.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:55 am Reply with quote
Cool that they got Lisa Ortiz back.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
Wish they worked on getting the print version out faster instead of this useless novelty! Taking a year between vol 1 and 2 when the content is already translated and released digitally is ridiculous.

If it helps to know, there's a major holdup for a lot of publishers because of the skyrocketing costs of paper and wood pulp right now. I went to AWA over Halloween weekend, and Dark Horse mentioned at their panel that the paper shortages were affecting them. I wouldn't be surprised if J-novel got bumped in priority when their printer decided to reroute paper to a John Grisham book or whatever.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
vanishingblood wrote:
Wish they worked on getting the print version out faster instead of this useless novelty!

It's certainly novel, but useless? I can't agree there. Audiobooks are great for listening in the car and generally help make the material more accessible for many. I consider that a win.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
When other companies started doing this, I secretly wished for a Lisa Ortiz read version of the Slayers novels. I never thought it’d happen though!
Rosiero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This is a fantastic idea--I've been reading the first omnibus and imagining the anime voice cast in my head the whole time, so it fits perfectly.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I am BEYOND happy about this! Even getting the original English VA back for this makes me so thrilled. This is a day one purchase for me.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Not gonna lie I'm more of a Manga guy since i lack a good Imagination but if they can do more Light Novels this way with a beloved English VO from the cast (Love ya LIsa!) then I can see myself buying them and listening to them while I play something like American Truck Simulator. Slayers is the perfect title to start with and if Seven Seas did the same with the Tenchi Muyo! ones then sign me up for those too! I hope this experiment works.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
This is really cool, I was planning to start reading the novels but now I'll wait for this.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
J-NC certainly made a lot of "Slayers" fans happy. I am a casual fan of such a franchise, for the record. We might not ever get another "Slayers" TV anime but at least we have this. I cannot imagine how happy Lisa became to reprise her role as Lina.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
Well, this is nice news!

I was going to get the ebook versions of the novels a couple months back for my boyfriend's birthday, but ended up not because he pointed out he wouldn't have time to read them and he only really 'reads' books in audiobook form while he's working. Hopefully they'll be out in time for his next birthday so I can use them as a present then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1