• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Capture the Flag

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
How come the Negima set got filed under Miscellaneous instead of one of the ranking categories? My only guess is, the columnist didn't actually watch it?

I can understand why the odd CD or video game occasionally featured in the column winds up in that section, but having a DVD set there seems very out of place...
Heretic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
Box sets of previously released series as far as I can tell are always filed under miscellaneous.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Pssssh, birds. Get lizards, they're way cooler Very Happy

This Negima series is popular, wow. I haven't really looked into yet, so I'm not sure what to say. I heard that Ken Akamatsu planned to do a manga to the PS1 game, Dewprism, but dropped the project sadly.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Quote:
I'm not really sure why Funimation decided to pair these two films together

I'm pretty sure it's because they were both TV specials (the only two in fact).

That is indeed the reason. They were more like filler OVA episodes meant to shine light on questions people had about the pasts of Goku and future Trunks. I believe Bardock first aired between Dragon Ball Z episodes 63 and 64 (during the fight against the Ginyu Force) and Trunks was between episodes 174 and 175 and actually also was derived from a short chapter of the manga. I used to be a DB/DBZ fanatic. I still watch many of my old vhs tapes too. Embarassed
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote
Heretic wrote:
Box sets of previously released series as far as I can tell are always filed under miscellaneous.

That is pretty much it. All box sets, thinpaks and so have been filed under miscellaneous. It's just how she rolls. Not sure why Case is being so accusatory, but wow. It didn't seem out of place at all to me as I can't even recall the last time a box set or thinpak was listed as anything else. Maybe back in the old format, but not in the new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Heretic wrote:

That is pretty much it. All box sets, thinpaks and so have been filed under miscellaneous. It's just how she rolls. Not sure why Case is being so accusatory, but wow. It didn't seem out of place at all to me as I can't even recall the last time a box set or thinpak was listed as anything else. Maybe back in the old format, but not in the new.

Wrong

Here Gunslignger Girl VC is Shelf Worthy
Here, FMA S1 P1 is SW & Hare+Guu is Rental worthy
Intail D S2
Slayers S1 is rental

So this begs the question, was it a mistake or is there another reason for this. And I didn't go back past Sept.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Bamboo, I just was poniting out Case was right about the first part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
eviltimes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Well, I'll be picking up Flag vol 2 pretty soon now that the whole "Bandai replicator issue" has been resolved. I really like the unique perspective. Plus, it's nice to watch something serious just for a change of pace.

I can't find this for sale at any of the usual suspects. Does anybody know when the replacements will be available in the USA?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
Heretic wrote:

Wrong

Here Gunslignger Girl VC is Shelf Worthy
Here, FMA S1 P1 is SW & Hare+Guu is Rental worthy
Intail D S2
Slayers S1 is rental

So this begs the question, was it a mistake or is there another reason for this. And I didn't go back past Sept.

I'm not trying to say anything bad about Bamboo, I just was poniting out Case was right about the first part.

I guess I'm totally being inconsistent about this.

It seemed weird to me to put a boxset under "rental" or "perishable," because some volumes aren't as bad as others, and sometimes a show gets better or worse. That was my initial reason to start filing them under "miscellaneous," along with all the live-action movies.

However, I guess in the past I ended up ranking them after all... Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I guess I'll probably start ranking them again.

Case wrote:
How come the Negima set got filed under Miscellaneous instead of one of the ranking categories? My only guess is, the columnist didn't actually watch it?

I usually watch the individual discs as they come out, then review the series as a whole again once the boxset comes out. In this case, it was a matter of being inconsistent with how I placed the title in my column.
oldyoshi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I bought a non-playable Flag 2 dvd, sent it back to Bandai and got a good one back (plus a few stickers and some kind of doll). It only took a couple weeks (but I live near them). There's a form somewhere on their website for the recall.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
eviltimes wrote:
I can't find this for sale at any of the usual suspects. Does anybody know when the replacements will be available in the USA?

If you don't mind buying online, it's available right now from RACS(Robert's Anime Corner Store)
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Trunks/Bardock release. When the Trunks special was released on DVD the first time, it had a pretty interesting soundtrack for the dub. It featured GOOD licensed music from groups like Dream Theater. To me, that was a huge factor for the show. The music in my opinion fit pretty well. They later aired it and Bardock on TV (one time to the best of my knowledge). To my disgust they replaced almost everything good with Broly-style speed metal "dude's grunting into microphone" kind of nonsense.

Can anyone confirm that the dub soundtrack contains the music featured in the original release?

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not they have that "not quite music" kind of noise in it's place?
eviltimes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
eviltimes wrote:

If you don't mind buying online, it's available right now from RACS(Robert's Anime Corner Store)

Thanks daedelus!

Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2