• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan Spinoff Anime Zero's Tea Time Ends in 6th Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
I wonder how Netflix is going to approach the international dubs for this spin-off. Don't know how Detective Conan is dubbed into English but in Latin America we had a complicated history with the franchise, the first 100 or so episodes where dubbed in Los Angeles in the late nineties and all of the characters had their names changed by petition of TMS (for example Shinichi Kudo was named Bobby Jackson), many years later the series was picked by a Chilean company which began dubbing from the episode the Los Angeles dub ended though they stopped around episode 500, and all of the movies that were licensed in our region, which includes the most recent ones and the Lupin III crossover, where dubbed in Mexico. Magic Kaito 1412 was also dubbed in Mexico with the same cast as the movies.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I wonder how Netflix is going to approach the international dubs for this spin-off. Don't know how Detective Conan is dubbed into English but in Latin America we had a complicated history with the franchise, the first 100 or so episodes where dubbed in Los Angeles in the late nineties and all of the characters had their names changed by petition of TMS (for example Shinichi Kudo was named Bobby Jackson), many years later the series was picked by a Chilean company which began dubbing from the episode the Los Angeles dub ended though they stopped around episode 500, and all of the movies that were licensed in our region, which includes the most recent ones and the Lupin III crossover, where dubbed in Mexico. Magic Kaito 1412 was also dubbed in Mexico with the same cast as the movies.

From the English dub perspective, as far as I'm aware, it is fully controlled by TMS nowadays. Discotek, for example, distributes what they are given for the movies (which also have been available digital first lately).

Before that, there was a Funimation dub of the first 123 episodes that was cut off for unexplained reasons, but the most plausible explanation is low sales/popularity. This dub also changed the character names (Jimmy instead of Shinichi, which I believe the Viz manga release still uses), but the newer dubs don't do that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:33 am Reply with quote
Lol, how many characters is Toru Furuya going to play named Amuro Ray? So far he's Amuro/Rei Furuya in Conan, Amuro Ray in a number of Mobile Suit Gundams, and Rei[furu]ya Amuro in Birdie Wing. What a weird kind of typecasting. Very Happy

But Amuro is my favorite Conan character, so I'm a little disappointed there's only 6 episodes. Still glad to have even that.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
From the English dub perspective, as far as I'm aware, it is fully controlled by TMS nowadays. Discotek, for example, distributes what they are given for the movies (which also have been available digital first lately).
Before that, there was a Funimation dub of the first 123 episodes that was cut off for unexplained reasons, but the most plausible explanation is low sales/popularity. This dub also changed the character names (Jimmy instead of Shinichi, which I believe the Viz manga release still uses), but the newer dubs don't do that.

That's interesting to hear, the first dub also stopped at episode 123, when the dub moved to Chile they started using the Japanese names as well (the movies also did that). It's difficult to guess which country Netflix will choose to dub this spin-off into Neutral Spanish. They have dubbed most of its anime shows in Mexico but there are couple of shows like Little Witch Academia and Edens Zero which were dubbed in Chile. This show focuses on Amuro and the Chilean dub didn't reach his appearance, but Zero the Encounter was dubbed in Mexico and Amuro was dubbed by Luis Leonardo Suárez who is well-known for voicing characters like Kirito, Muzan Kibutsuji, Bruno Bucciarati and Shinra Kusakabe.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:42 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
Before that, there was a Funimation dub of the first 123 episodes that was cut off for unexplained reasons, but the most plausible explanation is low sales/popularity.

That's exactly why, it was a multiple-time failure here.

Source
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:47 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
blahmoomoo wrote:
Before that, there was a Funimation dub of the first 123 episodes that was cut off for unexplained reasons, but the most plausible explanation is low sales/popularity.

That's exactly why, it was a multiple-time failure here.

Source

I suppose I should have said that it wasn't officially announced instead of unexplained. I tried to avoid being too definitive here because there was a lot of discourse about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1