• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The Garden of Words - I like Makoto Shinkai's films a lot, but I haven't seen them all yet. I'd heard about this film for a long time and finally had the opportunity to watch it on YouTube. The Garden of Words isn't Shinkai's best film, but it's still a good movie in my opinion. The animation is spectacular, as it is in all of Makoto Shinkai's films. The incredible amount of detail in the animation is truly astounding. The rain and the background are almost realistic in appearance.

The Garden of Words is one of Makoto Shinkai's shortest films, clocking in at only 45 minutes. It isn't too short, and it doesn't linger too long. From beginning to end, the film tells a compelling story. The film has a strong cast of likable characters who feel like real people. The film has well-developed themes of love and isolation. The film, on the other hand, can be a little melodramatic at times. Without coming across as a soap opera, the film's ending could have been better. Having said that, The Garden of Words is still an enjoyable film. You have nothing to lose because it has a short runtime. It's definitely worth a look. Rating: 7.5/10
Nico Gonz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Ayashi no Ceres - Why? because I already read the manga and wanted to watch the anime as well. Btw I do not recommend anyone watching it if you haven't read the manga, mainly because in the anime the character development is significantly limited (only 26 episodes), they removed several characters and seemed to rush events. I learned that the hard way although I hadn't watched many episodes yet, thing is I was so busy back then at school by the time I started using this basic algebra tutor I got caught up with class but I was already like 5-6 episodes in, and everything made more sense when I started reading the manga

Last edited by Nico Gonz on Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:53 am Reply with quote
I watched My Dress-Up Darling, binged all of it in 2 days. Had a nice cruise aboard the Wakana x Marin ship. The first episode didn't amaze me much. The hottest girl in school suddenly taking an interest in the loner main dude is a thing I've seen too many times in anime, but somehow it got me hooked by the 3rd episode. The strong manic pixie dream girl vibes continue, but somehow the show manages to balance Wakana's and Marin's relationship in a way that makes it feel like Marin doesn't at least purely exist to pull Wakana out of his funk. While Marin teaches Wakana about the joys of life, Wakana teaches Marin about making clothes. Wakana has a hard time with Marin being so unbothered about showing skin, but Wakana's earnestness can also throw Marin for a loop. These little things allow their relationship to stand more on equal footing which is good. It's also cool that I'm learning stuff about cosplaying, hina dolls and stuff.

I also watched Ranking of Kings. Kinda cool, but I thought that it's story moved way too fast (though I might be the only person in existence that feels that way). Also been watching Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Kinda cool, but it has a sort of monster-of-the-week structure that I'm not particularly fond of. It's entertaining, but so far I think I enjoyed Part 2 more (Part 2 also had a good opening).

I still got some shows that have just finished airing that I wanna get to. Like I've been waiting for The Case Study of Vanitas to finish. I really like Pandora Hearts' manga and this is by the same mangaka so I should probably give that show a whirl. There's also a sequel (or two) to Demon Slayer that I haven't seen yet. I might wanna check that out.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Finished Sabikui Bisco. It started out strong but started falling apart a bit around the halfway point. A lot of things seemed to be glossed over so I'm definitely interested in reading the LN. The characters were likable with Kurokawa being a great love to hate villain. Best thing about the show IMO was the OST.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Kotaro Lives Alone was mentioned earlier in this thread by Gina so now I'm watching it. It's a heart-warming show and it has more to it than seems at first. I'm only 5 episodes in, but it's been a sweet show about these people helping out the 4-year-old Kotaro which is positive for Kotaro, but it's cool how Kotaro often ends up having a positive effect on the people helping him because he is so perceptive. Kotaro acts unusually mature for his age so there's a nice kind of gap moe factor whenever he acts more like a 4-year-old. The premise is quite different, but I feel it goes for a similar vibe as something like March Comes In like a Lion where you have characters dealing with stuff like trauma so you really wanna root for them and you wanna see them happy, and then you do get to see them happy and it makes you go "aww". It's lighter in tone than March, Lion, Comes in, but I feel like I see some similarities. Probably.

A lovely surprise has been that Kotaro is actually voiced by one of my favourite voice actors, Rie Kugimiya. I feel like I haven't heard her in a lead role for a while. I'm sure she's still voicing Kagura and Happy, but I haven't watched Gintama or Fairy Tail/Edens Zero so this is a real treat. Kotaro speaks in a sort of samurai lord kind of way, even using a royal we and Kugimiya does a great job. I think it all adds to the "aww" factor.

Edit: I need to take back what I said. Kotaro Lives Alone is not lighter in tone than March Comes In like a Lion. I just watched the last episode and now I'm hurting. Great show though. I'd recommend it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:59 am Reply with quote
I recently acquired the Shout! Factory / GKIDS release of Princess Mononoke. The reason I did so was because of a long-standing desire to find an English subtitle that was not that damnable Disney dubtitle. GKIDS included a proper translation ─ in addition to that Disney apostasy.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:59 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
I recently acquired the Shout! Factory / GKIDS release of Princess Mononoke. The reason I did so was because of a long-standing desire to find an English subtitle that was not that damnable Disney dubtitle. GKIDS included a proper translation ─ in addition to that Disney apostasy.

Sadly, at one point Princess Mononoke was only available in the USA by dub (this was in the days when rentals were still VHS tapes). Dubs being different from well done subtitles is just another strike against them.

Is not "Disney apostasy" redundant? Never liked their classic animations, as the personal creepiness of Walt Disney the man bled through, nor the "wispy washy" animation style (the only animation I did like as a child was Looney Toons).
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Is not "Disney apostasy" redundant? Never liked their classic animations, as the personal creepiness of Walt Disney the man bled through, nor the "wispy washy" animation style (the only animation I did like as a child was Looney Toons).

Laughing
I would not know as I have never gone out of my way watch their offerings.....
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched The Irregular at Magic High School (Mahouka): Reminiscence Arc, an hour long special episode covering some vital backstory. For some odd reason I've come to really like Mahouka. I'm not entirely sure why. I think partly it's because I find the magic in its world fascinating. Even though magic in Mahouka is a bit too complicated for its own good and a lot of the magic exposition stuff tends to go over my head, there's something interesting about how magic spells are like mathematical equations in the world of Mahouka.

It's odd that this special, that is very important to understanding the depth of the relationship between Miyuki and Tatsuya, is the most recently animated adaption. This should have been in the first season, not come after 2 seasons and a movie. I really liked this special, it slightly altered how I view Miyuki's and Tatsuya's relationship. It paints their relationship as something far more tragic than I had considered before. It makes it feel like Miyuki's love for Tatsuya comes from some form of atonement and overcompensation. In some ways that was already present in their relationship prior to seeing this special, but now I see it far more clearly. The special also shows how Miyuki and Tatsuya are inescapably tangled in their family affairs and power structure in a way that I don't think has been shown before. I've never really liked Miyuki and no doubt I will continue to find her infatuation with her Onii-sama to be annoying but I think I've gained sympathy for her that I didn't have before.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
@Cam0

The reminiscence Arc is volume 8 of the novel series and came out after the Yokahama Disturbance Arc. So it is pretty much right where it is in the anime. The movie is original material and covers the period just after the Visitor Arc. Next up is the Visitor Arc. This is available here on Crunchyroll and on an Aniplex home video release.

If you have access to them and don't mind reading, the novel series adds a lot to the anime. A lot of detail, including the basis for the magic is omitted from the anime. It makes the magic seem real, if only one had the talent for it. Wink
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:38 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

The reminiscence Arc is volume 8 of the novel series and came out after the Yokahama Disturbance Arc. So it is pretty much right where it is in the anime. The movie is original material and covers the period just after the Visitor Arc. Next up is the Visitor Arc. This is available here on Crunchyroll and on an Aniplex home video release.

If you have access to them and don't mind reading, the novel series adds a lot to the anime. A lot of detail, including the basis for the magic is omitted from the anime. It makes the magic seem real, if only one had the talent for it. Wink

The anime adapted the Reminiscence Arc after the Visitor Arc which is an odd place. I think if the anime adapted the Reminiscence Arc much earlier like before the Yokohama Disturbance arc or something it might have been an improvement over the source material. Miyuki is annoying in the first season and showing off Tatsuya's and Miyuki's backstory early would have improved the first season immensely. Logistically I don't know how it could have been done since the first season is already a 26 episode thing and adding an extra 2-3 episodes would have pushed it past 2 cours.

As for reading the novels, I wish I could transplant enthusiasm towards reading into my brain, but alas it is not so. I'm just not much of a reader, never have been. So the anime is what I got, fortunately there's more Mahouka anime coming our way.

On a side note I think I was going to be more tolerable of Miyuki going into the special episode for an odd, roundabout reason. I've been playing a dumb Playstation video game Azur Lane Crosswave in which the voice actor who plays Miyuki, Saori Hayami, voices one of the main characters (Shimakaze) of that game. I've come to associate Saori Hayami's voice very strongly with characters like Miyuki, Yukino (Oregairu), Amelie (Iruma-kun) and even Yor from the currently airing Spy x Family. You know, these often beautiful, somewhat reserved female characters. However in the video game she plays an extremely cheerful, energetic, sort of like a genki girl. Someone who announces her attack moves in a goofy way and greets people loudly and energetically. And Saori Hayami does a great job in that role so hearing her do something completely different from her norm has given me deeper appreciation for her and through that I was more predisposed to like Miyuki.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Actually they sort of did. If you go back to the first minute or so of the first episode, there is a scene directly out of the Reminiscence Arc. I had forgotten it was there until I rewatched it recently. They give no context but it does make some later events make sense. The source material does not contain that scene, at least not there. The source material is really good at having bits that don't make a lot of sense until later information is revealed. It has Miyuki making references to owing her life to her brother and to having already died once. As a result the Reminiscence Arc did not come as a surprise to me. It just filled out the details of what I had already understood. That doesn't mean I like Miyuki though.
animationdok

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I am currently watching Spy X family, komi san and kaguya sama.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Vampire in the Garden, a 5-episode ONA on Netflix. I knew absolutely nothing about it and watched the whole thing in one sitting. I quite enjoyed it, despite there being sadness involved. the background art was gorgeous with lots of dilapidated grand Russian houses mixed with steampunk sets and wintry weather. I think the story of a human and vampire seeking to find a paradise where both species could live together in peace might have been an allegory about society accepting lesbianism, but I'm not sure. In any case, a worthwhile watch, imo.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Huh, I had not heard of Vampire in the Garden before but I think I'll add it to my "Want to see" list now. The premise sounds interesting and at only 5 episodes it's not a big time investment at all. I think I'll check it out at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1049 of 1061