• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Final Fantasy XVI's Goodest Boy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 am Reply with quote
I'm still not sure about my feelings towards FFXVI. Yoshida producing is a good thing, but having the same writer as the critically-acclaimed expansion Heavensward (which remains divisive to this day in the XIV fanbase)... my hype is still minimal. Can't even get properly exited about the dog.

Xenoblade 3 is looking great, and I'm glad Monolith has found a way of preserving 2's expansive secondary party member system without the gacha elements. I'm also avoiding the trailers as best I can, and I swear it's not just because the dub is so wooden.

Ys X is... happening? I still haven't played Monstrum Nox. I'm the weirdo who thought the series peaked with SEVEN, and Lacrimosa of Dana failed to wow me (in no small part thanks to NISA's nonsense), but I guess I need to get on that.

But most importantly of all: Treasure is, well, a treasure, so a new game from them is probably a good thing.

TWIG was my only real source for fighting game news (since I barely touch them anymore), so your coverage and insights will be missed, Heidi. A few weeks early, still, but have fun with your next adventure!
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:09 am Reply with quote
The Treasure news has me happy. I love those guys. Gunstar Heroes, Advance Guardian Heroes and ASTRO Boy Omega Factor are some of my favorite games ever. Here's hoping that their next title is fun, I was always bummed Geist Crushers never came stateside.

The Xenoblade 3 news was cool, but uh... how's about a date for pre-ordering the special edition? Come on, I've got $100 burning a hole in my pocket. This wouldn't have happened if they just put the pre-orders through Gamestop...

Sad to hear Heidi is moving on, but I'm happy for her new prospects. It was nice to see someone banging the drum for Vanessa. Hopefully the next writer is cool.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 am Reply with quote
Lots of RPG goodness coming down the pike- some even coming out soon- so I'm happy. Xenoblade 3 looks interesting: hopefully combat is more reactive. In the prior two (can't speak to X) you played against the systems more than the enemy, If nothing else, it looks like there is a metric ton of customization options- so I'll probably wallow in those for a few weeks anyway,

FF16 is hard to get excited for, even as it says most of the right things. I'm glad it isn't open world, its got a director I like, an interesting take on summons/jobs...all cool, but I've been burned a bit too much to take it on faith. Cautious optimism.

Soul Hackers looks really appealing, even if Atlus is up to their usual tricks. I especially like a more adult cast.

New Ys is nice. Not my preferred Falcom title (Damn you slow Trails localisation!) but Monstrum Nox was a fun time.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
The Xenoblade 3 news was cool, but uh... how's about a date for pre-ordering the special edition? Come on, I've got $100 burning a hole in my pocket. This wouldn't have happened if they just put the pre-orders through Gamestop...
I called up a friend in Japan to order the CE items for me (since Nintendo has gotten weird about foreign transactions lately). They're still in-stock in the JP store, amazingly, and the most you'll lose out on is maybe some translated names in the artbook. The steelbook will fit a US regular-edition game card.

Glad someone else still remembers Advance Guardian Heroes fondly (a.k.a. rapid-fire R-button defense). It's such a weird little game, but I liked being able to play as literally any character (spoiler[and always picking the rival anyway...]).
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, this has been a wild week in gaming here and there, but yeah, other than that, kinda sad that Heidi is leaving TWIG, but had a good run. It just feels the same vibe from when Todd left a while back (under "The X Button" branding), but at least TWIG will still be around, and we'll welcome the new author with open arms.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:
I called up a friend in Japan to order the CE items for me (since Nintendo has gotten weird about foreign transactions lately). They're still in-stock in the JP store, amazingly, and the most you'll lose out on is maybe some translated names in the artbook. The steelbook will fit a US regular-edition game card.

Glad someone else still remembers Advance Guardian Heroes fondly (a.k.a. rapid-fire R-button defense). It's such a weird little game, but I liked being able to play as literally any character (spoiler[and always picking the rival anyway...]).

Good eye on the Japanese edition, I'm tempted to import it...

Advance Guardian Heroes was an old favorite of mine too. And yes, Dylan was so much fun to use. He definitely had the most fun moveset.
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:56 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
I'm still not sure about my feelings towards FFXVI. Yoshida producing is a good thing, but having the same writer as the critically-acclaimed expansion Heavensward (which remains divisive to this day in the XIV fanbase)... my hype is still minimal. Can't even get properly exited about the dog.

From what I gathered, Stormblood is the divisive expansion, and even then it's considered to be at least decently good, just is in the awkward position of being in between HW and ShB. If anything, Heavenward is one of the most loved expansion by the community, and some people even prefer it over Shadowbringers and Endwalker, as strong as those two were.

Heck, before Shadowbringers, it was everyone's favorite little baby. People specifically told new players thinking of giving up, because of how slow ARR could go, that HW was worth it.

I don't see how HW is divisive at all for the community, at least story-wise...
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
From what I gathered, Stormblood is the divisive expansion, and even then it's considered to be at least decently good, just is in the awkward position of being in between HW and ShB. If anything, Heavenward is one of the most loved expansion by the community, and some people even prefer it over Shadowbringers and Endwalker, as strong as those two were.
You've actually basically described the division I'm referring to. I suppose I should have phrased it "divisive in hindsight." Some people love the grimdark tone of Heavensward and long for a return to that style, others note that it had its share of problems in retrospect. (The ending to the base 3.0 story was derided even at launch, among other things.) To me personally, Heavensward is the tail end of the growing-pains of A Realm Reborn, setting up the best parts of the recurring formula but still shaking off the worst tonal issues. Stormblood may be the black sheep of the family, but at least it was on its meds.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna miss reading your columns on TWIG. Thank you for writing them each week!
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:34 pm Reply with quote
D:

I'll definitely be missing reading you here, Heidi. This has been my fave column here at ANN since Answerman went away and your stuff was a treat to look forward to each week. You just made the news round up fun and I really appreciated it. Please let us know how we can hear about your big project thing so we can keep up with it too!

Also, pfffft Ensemble Stars. You so silly.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Good luck in your future endeavours.

Anyone have any guesses on what game Treasure might be referring to?
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on whatever you do next heidi! Can't believe it's been about 5 years already
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the key developers involved in the remasters featured in Sonic Origins has said the whole team is unhappy with the condition of the final product.

“Regarding Origins, we were outsiders creating a separate project that was then wrangled into something entirely different. We knew going in that there would be a major time crunch and we worked ourselves into the ground to meet it just so this would even be made and released.

“Again, I can take responsibility for my and my team’s mistakes, and there were some. Some actual mistakes, some overlooking, some rushjobs, some stuff we noticed but weren’t allowed to correct near the end. It’s absolutely not perfect and some of it is from us. It’s complicated.

“I’m extremely proud of my team for their performance under such pressure, but every one of us is very unhappy about the state of Origins and even the Sonic 3 component. We weren’t too thrilled about its pre-submission state either but a lot was beyond our control.

“We asked to do major fixes near submission but weren’t allowed due to submission and approval rules. We asked about delays early and repeatedly but were told they weren’t possible.

“We offered to come back for post-release fixes and updates – we do not yet know if this is happening.”
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed your time on this column, Heidi. Best wishes for whatever's next. And I hope your successor is as into fighting games as you are.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
I must have read most your This Week in Games posts Heidi. Good luck with whatever comes next!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2